Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Scam, windows 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scam, windows 7 - Page 5

post #41 of 51
I wish they called me, I would have fun with them by the end of the call they would regret calling me
Money Waster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 3.2GHz BE GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H GIGABYTE HD 6870 1GB G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Windows 7 64bit 22" LG Coolmax 600W 
Case
Antec 
  hide details  
Reply
Money Waster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 3.2GHz BE GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H GIGABYTE HD 6870 1GB G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Windows 7 64bit 22" LG Coolmax 600W 
Case
Antec 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxanator View Post
I wish they called me, I would have fun with them by the end of the call they would regret calling me
Just say like

"This is a FBI and we have been tracing this call. We have agent outside your establishment. Put your hands in the air and drop the phone. If you attempt to move, you will be shot. "
post #43 of 51
Someone like that called me a while back.

He said he was Microsoft. Everyone should know Microsoft doesn't make phone calls.

Anyways, he kept trying to find out information about my computer, So i decided to have a little fun with him. it went something along the lines of:

him: Go to system information and tell me which exact version of windows you have.
me: You called me with the problem you tell me.
him: sir, We have only received notification of the virus on your computer.
me: how did you get this number?
him: You registered it with Microsoft.
me: no i didn't
him: you didn't register and active your windows?
me: I did, but I didn't give my phone number
him: we contacted your isp. Sir i can't help you if i don't know what version of windows you have.
me: okay what do you want me to do?
him: goto my computer and right click and goto system information
me: what's my computer? i don't see a my computer.
him: you don't see a little computer icon on your desktop that has the words "my computer"
me: no sir i do not.
him: okay goto the start menu.
me: where's the start menu?
him: it's on the bottom left corner.
me: no it's not. I see the desktop in the bottom left hand corner.
him: Sir look at the front of your computer, what does it say?
me: it said Corsair.
him: Do you see a HP or Dell?
me: no
him: tell me what you see.
me: I see Corsair, XSPC, Gskill, Crucial, ATI
him: hold for a second please
me: why
him: i have to check something.
me: okay.

*** a different person comes to the phone***

him: hello.
me: hi
him: sir do you know which version of windows is on your computer?
me: Yes i do.
him: which one is it sir?
me: it's none.
him: what do you mean none.
me: i don't run windows.
him: can you goto start menu.
me: no, i don't have one.
him: you don't see a start in the bottom left corner.
me: no
him: what do you see.
me: I see UBUNTU
him: sir can you goto my computer.
me: no but if you hold on for a few more seconds, I almost have your location.

him: hangs up phone.
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 51
^made me lol
Webcrawler
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASRock Z75 Pro3 Sapphire 7870 XT Boost Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SpinPoint F1 1TB 64GB M4 SSD Windows 8.1 SyncMaster P2050 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
Dell U2312HM Sidewinder X4 Be Quiet! Pure Power CM L8 430w Zowie FK 
AudioAudio
Xonar DG Sennheiser HD 555 
  hide details  
Reply
Webcrawler
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASRock Z75 Pro3 Sapphire 7870 XT Boost Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SpinPoint F1 1TB 64GB M4 SSD Windows 8.1 SyncMaster P2050 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
Dell U2312HM Sidewinder X4 Be Quiet! Pure Power CM L8 430w Zowie FK 
AudioAudio
Xonar DG Sennheiser HD 555 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 51
I like having fun with these kinds of calls. When a telemarketer calls, I just repeatedly say "uh-huh" to whatever they say until they figure out Im not listening to them.

They might have gotten your info from someone in the house filling out survery fields online (tech-challenged people like to do this kind of stuff, open everything that pops up and fill everything out).


Or you should just yell "OH MY GOD MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE AND THERES A TORNADO ON MY LAWN AHHHH"
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 51
Something very similar happend to a friend of mine when his Steam Account got stolen. Somehow whoever stole his account managed to find his phone number because my dumb friend was using a universal password for email, steam etc etc so the hacker had no trouble finding that kind of information. So when the guy called him , my buddy was lucky to have one of his buddies at home and all it took was his buddy say " TRACE THE CALL" with a really serious tone of voice , the guy hang up and never called again. Then he managed to get his acct back.
Ryzen Rig
(17 items)
 
K.I.T.T
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Gaming Professional Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5 Pcie V... G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 ... GTS360 GTS240 Laing D5 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller 3.0 LC Monsoon Fittings Monsoon PETG Rigid Tubbing Fractal Design HP-12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Fractal Design HF-14 PWM Aquacomputer aqualis D5 100 ml windows 10 pro corsair hx850 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4 5300 ASROCK FM2A85X-ITX AMD Radeon HD 7480D G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 Seagate ST2000DL001 5900 RPM Seagate ST2000DL001 5900 RPM 
OSPowerCase
UnRaid SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W Fractal Design Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Rig
(17 items)
 
K.I.T.T
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Gaming Professional Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5 Pcie V... G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 ... GTS360 GTS240 Laing D5 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller 3.0 LC Monsoon Fittings Monsoon PETG Rigid Tubbing Fractal Design HP-12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Fractal Design HF-14 PWM Aquacomputer aqualis D5 100 ml windows 10 pro corsair hx850 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4 5300 ASROCK FM2A85X-ITX AMD Radeon HD 7480D G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 Seagate ST2000DL001 5900 RPM Seagate ST2000DL001 5900 RPM 
OSPowerCase
UnRaid SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W Fractal Design Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
Someone like that called me a while back.

He said he was Microsoft. Everyone should know Microsoft doesn't make phone calls.

Anyways, he kept trying to find out information about my computer, So i decided to have a little fun with him. it went something along the lines of:

him: Go to system information and tell me which exact version of windows you have.
me: You called me with the problem you tell me.
him: sir, We have only received notification of the virus on your computer.
me: how did you get this number?
him: You registered it with Microsoft.
me: no i didn't
him: you didn't register and active your windows?
me: I did, but I didn't give my phone number
him: we contacted your isp. Sir i can't help you if i don't know what version of windows you have.
me: okay what do you want me to do?
him: goto my computer and right click and goto system information
me: what's my computer? i don't see a my computer.
him: you don't see a little computer icon on your desktop that has the words "my computer"
me: no sir i do not.
him: okay goto the start menu.
me: where's the start menu?
him: it's on the bottom left corner.
me: no it's not. I see the desktop in the bottom left hand corner.
him: Sir look at the front of your computer, what does it say?
me: it said Corsair.
him: Do you see a HP or Dell?
me: no
him: tell me what you see.
me: I see Corsair, XSPC, Gskill, Crucial, ATI
him: hold for a second please
me: why
him: i have to check something.
me: okay.

*** a different person comes to the phone***

him: hello.
me: hi
him: sir do you know which version of windows is on your computer?
me: Yes i do.
him: which one is it sir?
me: it's none.
him: what do you mean none.
me: i don't run windows.
him: can you goto start menu.
me: no, i don't have one.
him: you don't see a start in the bottom left corner.
me: no
him: what do you see.
me: I see UBUNTU
him: sir can you goto my computer.
me: no but if you hold on for a few more seconds, I almost have your location.

him: hangs up phone.
That made me LOL completely.
Challenger
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 4Ghz Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H EVGA Geforce GTX 460 SE OC'd @ 850/1700/1850mhz 2 x 2gb G-skill DDR3-1333mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital Caviar black 500gb 7200rpm Windows 7 Home premium 62-bit Acer G195w 1440x900 Antec Earthwatts 500D 
Case
Rosewill Challenger 
  hide details  
Reply
Challenger
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 4Ghz Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H EVGA Geforce GTX 460 SE OC'd @ 850/1700/1850mhz 2 x 2gb G-skill DDR3-1333mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital Caviar black 500gb 7200rpm Windows 7 Home premium 62-bit Acer G195w 1440x900 Antec Earthwatts 500D 
Case
Rosewill Challenger 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranseth View Post
Someone had just contacted my house claiming that they represented Microsoft and that my computer has been infected. He directed me to a technician who had me run AMMYY admin. I did so for 3 seconds and then turned it off because it was very iffy. Anyways, I told them to cease calling my house and they continued to do so. The last conversation was a man stating "I'm going to **** your computer, I have your computer ID.".......Help???
Well if AMMYY admin used like a port number or something i would tell you to just go and block the port, but it doesn't, and it seems to me like it's transparent to firewalls and such.

Just go an uninstall it.

If you only ran it for 3 seconds, They probably didn't get any sensitive info (well i don't know what you have).

If you're really paranoid, then you could just reformat, but that's a pain, and wouldn't solve anything if they already got your info, but would prevent future data queries.
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
liger-zero
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
930/920/920/2500k/2500k/x4-640/x4-630/ x58Pro/x58Ext/P6TD/P8P67/P35/A780L/785GM-E51/H55M 5870CFX/GTX260Sli/5870/GTX260-Sli/GTX260/9600/8800 Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Gskill/Corsair/Corsair/GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC 6G Extreme PRO / Crucial M4 SAMSUNG DVD-RW DL X64 Win 7 | X86 xp pro | OSX | Ubuntu | Backtrack Samsung 23 x 5 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek 850TX/MXS600/750TX/750TX/EA500/EA500/EA500/MxS500 700d + Rackmount server chassis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranseth View Post
Someone had just contacted my house claiming that they represented Microsoft and that my computer has been infected. He directed me to a technician who had me run AMMYY admin. I did so for 3 seconds and then turned it off because it was very iffy. Anyways, I told them to cease calling my house and they continued to do so. The last conversation was a man stating "I'm going to **** your computer, I have your computer ID.".......Help???
LOL owned
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8120 Asus crosshair V formula 2 msi HD6870 Twin Frozr II CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 SAMSUNG F4 2TB boot + 4 WD 2TB storage Lite On blu ray player win 7 sp1 oem Asus VH236H @ 1920 x 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech Media Elite Keyboard ENERMAX MAXREVO 1350W psu SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02B-EW Matte black logitech OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8120 Asus crosshair V formula 2 msi HD6870 Twin Frozr II CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 SAMSUNG F4 2TB boot + 4 WD 2TB storage Lite On blu ray player win 7 sp1 oem Asus VH236H @ 1920 x 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech Media Elite Keyboard ENERMAX MAXREVO 1350W psu SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02B-EW Matte black logitech OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 51
Bill Gates drunk again probably
---------------- Now playing: Push - Universal Nation (M.I.K.E. Mix) via FoxyTunes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Scam, windows 7