Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › full wc loop without fans but 0 overclocking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

full wc loop without fans but 0 overclocking

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
i was curious if i were to not overclock anything, and have a loop that includes cpu a single gpu and ram (heh ram) and then didnt use any fans would this be possible?
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
You'd have to have a passive radiator. Normal radiators do not naturally let air flow through them, hence the reason for fans.
Parental Advisory
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k: 4.5GHz @ 1.325 Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA Superclocked 560Ti Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 in RAID0 Lite-on 24x DVD Burner XSPC RX240 Kit Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 21.5" S211HLBD Sidewinder x6 Corsair HX750 HAF 922 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Mamba Cheap-o from Office Depot FTW! 
  hide details  
Reply
Parental Advisory
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k: 4.5GHz @ 1.325 Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA Superclocked 560Ti Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 in RAID0 Lite-on 24x DVD Burner XSPC RX240 Kit Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 21.5" S211HLBD Sidewinder x6 Corsair HX750 HAF 922 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Mamba Cheap-o from Office Depot FTW! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfloyd;14578703 
You'd have to have a passive radiator. Normal radiators do not naturally let air flow through them, hence the reason for fans.

so then in terms of using a fan how fast do the fans need to be spinning for there to still be proper cooling but without the need for me to hear it
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
You could get a set of gentle typhoons and a fan controller. I doubt they would very loud even at max speed.

Every fan is different, so the acoustic properties differ.
Parental Advisory
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k: 4.5GHz @ 1.325 Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA Superclocked 560Ti Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 in RAID0 Lite-on 24x DVD Burner XSPC RX240 Kit Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 21.5" S211HLBD Sidewinder x6 Corsair HX750 HAF 922 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Mamba Cheap-o from Office Depot FTW! 
  hide details  
Reply
Parental Advisory
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k: 4.5GHz @ 1.325 Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA Superclocked 560Ti Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 in RAID0 Lite-on 24x DVD Burner XSPC RX240 Kit Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 21.5" S211HLBD Sidewinder x6 Corsair HX750 HAF 922 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Mamba Cheap-o from Office Depot FTW! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
20 db is as loud as someone whispering so......go look around and see what fans do under 20db
pc
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 p6x58d-e 6850 gskill 60 gb ssd 
CoolingCase
noctua nh-d14 arc midi r2 
  hide details  
Reply
pc
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 p6x58d-e 6850 gskill 60 gb ssd 
CoolingCase
noctua nh-d14 arc midi r2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
All depends on how much heat you're putting into the radiator. What will you have hooked up to the radiator? Also the quality of the fan plays a big role in silence and performance you'll get out of it.

As an example, my setup is overkill for what I need to keep my CPU and GPU temperatures in range, but it allows me to run my fans down at ~500 rpm and have everything adequately cooled. It's also extremely quiet even in the middle of the night in a dead quiet neighbourhood.

I have two 120.3 rads (360 rad), and 6 NoiseBlocker Multiframe (reference series) fans running at the aforementioned ~500rpm which is cooling 1 980x CPU @ 4.4Ghz, and 1 GTX580 at 960mhz/2,300mhz. Those combined put out a good amount of heat at full blast, and 1 360 radiator will do it but you'd want your fans closer to 1,000rpm under load to keep the loop temps from skyrocketing. I also have a D5 pump running at close to full blast which is 'silent' inside the case.

Example for you there. Really you can get away with 1 360 rad if you have a 4 core i7 like the sandy bridge CPU's and a lower end video card. If just 1 cpu, then a 360 is more than enough by far and you should be able to have your fans right down at the 500-600rpm level no problem.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorner;14578799 
All depends on how much heat you're putting into the radiator. What will you have hooked up to the radiator? Also the quality of the fan plays a big role in silence and performance you'll get out of it.

As an example, my setup is overkill for what I need to keep my CPU and GPU temperatures in range, but it allows me to run my fans down at ~500 rpm and have everything adequately cooled. It's also extremely quiet even in the middle of the night in a dead quiet neighbourhood.

I have two 120.3 rads (360 rad), and 6 NoiseBlocker Multiframe (reference series) fans running at the aforementioned ~500rpm which is cooling 1 980x CPU @ 4.4Ghz, and 1 GTX580 at 960mhz/2,300mhz. Those combined put out a good amount of heat at full blast, and 1 360 radiator will do it but you'd want your fans closer to 1,000rpm under load to keep the loop temps from skyrocketing. I also have a D5 pump running at close to full blast which is 'silent' inside the case.

Example for you there. Really you can get away with 1 360 rad if you have a 4 core i7 like the sandy bridge CPU's and a lower end video card. If just 1 cpu, then a 360 is more than enough by far and you should be able to have your fans right down at the 500-600rpm level no problem.

if i had my sig rig all non overclocked what fans with the LOWEST possible rpm would i need to cool it without hearing ANY sounds preferably
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
I ran my system for over a month on 2 SR-1 Rads(3x140 and 2x140), with my 920 @ 4.0Ghz and 3 HD5850s stock clocks and the motherboard was in the loop

NO FANS! SR-1 rads really don't need fans, passive is fine, even more so if you dont OC
post #9 of 10
Personally dont see a point there is gonna be a fan in your psu, your hdd is gonna make noise unless you go 100% ssd for all your storage need and your pump is gonna make noise as well. Some parts also makes electronic noise.

End of the day it just aint worth it.....
Stormy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I5-3570K Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Geforce GTX Titan Geforce GTX Titan 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 30nm 16GB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB Plextor M5P 256GB Win 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U3011 Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Coolermaster Silent Pro Platinum 1000W Coolermaster Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
Stormy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I5-3570K Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Geforce GTX Titan Geforce GTX Titan 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 30nm 16GB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB Plextor M5P 256GB Win 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U3011 Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Coolermaster Silent Pro Platinum 1000W Coolermaster Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink82;14578994 
Personally dont see a point there is gonna be a fan in your psu, your hdd is gonna make noise unless you go 100% ssd for all your storage need and your pump is gonna make noise as well. Some parts also makes electronic noise.

End of the day it just aint worth it.....

i have a wc loop but i was considering buying a gpu block to make it silent

and ISNT THIS OCN things that dont do well cost/performance are ALWAYS wanted here


i think jll need a custom top for my 355 tho

i only have 1 rad so it seems thats not an option in my near future
Edited by eosgreen - 8/14/11 at 8:25am
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › full wc loop without fans but 0 overclocking