Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Messed up system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Messed up system?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hey guys I have a system built since December. Everything is working fine except in the audio department. Basically I have been getting weird EMI any time I would be on the tile screen of Minecraft (also happens a bit when doing the windows built in benchmarking tool.

Anyway even after a switch of headphones (I was using a crappy monitor with built in speakers beforehand) the problem persisted. Every other game ran fine and I had no other problems with it until today.

I got rail works 2 (a train sim) and on the title screen I can hear the same sort of EMI noises out of my computer I unplugged every audio device (I even unplugged the bios speaker) and the noise still comes out of my computer.

I cant exactly pin point where the noise is coming from (lots of noisy fans in my pc)

Anybody know what the hell is causing this?

Thanks

BTW you can see my other thread that I created a few months ago here
http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...-card-emi.html
Edited by Tdawg2k10 - 8/14/11 at 8:35pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
it could be reading in as a microphone. sometimes that will happen and you will get a weird feedback from your speakers.

Fix:
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio (or speakers or watever goes to audio)
Now go through the tabs and select your speakers as your default output.
then go and find input.
if you have a microphone, slect the microphone for default input, if you do not have a microphone, select None and apply the settings.

let me know if this works, if not i have a few more ideas of what it could be, but that should be it.
post #3 of 11
I Have a light / VU meter gadget that the audio plugs into/out of that causes a tiny bit of buzz. When I first started using it, it was real bad. I traced the problem to the audio jumper in back. After replacing it with a good one it reduced the noise from this unit about 98%. I am planning to ditch it soon to make room for another fan up front. Your problem may be in some wire or connection.
Edited by Jagged_Steel - 8/15/11 at 7:49am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post
it could be reading in as a microphone. sometimes that will happen and you will get a weird feedback from your speakers.

Fix:
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio (or speakers or watever goes to audio)
Now go through the tabs and select your speakers as your default output.
then go and find input.
if you have a microphone, slect the microphone for default input, if you do not have a microphone, select None and apply the settings.

let me know if this works, if not i have a few more ideas of what it could be, but that should be it.
Nope I went through all sorts of troubleshooting methods in my other thread.

I tested another graphics card today (Just to make sure it wasn't capacitor whine) and the noise is still present
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
i just read your other thread.
when you plug in your headset, do you hear the noise from the PC or through the headset?
this is a really odd issue.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post
i just read your other thread.
when you plug in your headset, do you hear the noise from the PC or through the headset?
this is a really odd issue.
Nope. The noise only occurs when I am in certain applications. Its nothing to do with drivers (I was in Linux before and I heard the same sort of noise)

I thought It might be the graphics card itself producing the interference so I got a lend of a GFX card from a friend and I get the same sort of noise

Also, I can even hear the interference even when the headset is getting power from the USB port and the audio jacks are plugged into my netbook?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdawg2k10 View Post
Nope. The noise only occurs when I am in certain applications. Its nothing to do with drivers (I was in Linux before and I heard the same sort of noise)

I thought It might be the graphics card itself producing the interference so I got a lend of a GFX card from a friend and I get the same sort of noise

Also, I can even hear the interference even when the headset is getting power from the USB port and the audio jacks are plugged into my netbook?
it's prolly your HDD
if it only happens when running applications and such, maybe it's just going bad.
or a possible PSU starting to fail situation.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post
it's prolly your HDD
if it only happens when running applications and such, maybe it's just going bad.
or a possible PSU starting to fail situation.
I highly doubt it. I was running linux using a live CD and I could hear the noise. Also when I use applications that use the HDD (A disk defrag program for example) the noise does not occur.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdawg2k10 View Post
I highly doubt it. I was running linux using a live CD and I could hear the noise. Also when I use applications that use the HDD (A disk defrag program for example) the noise does not occur.
well, what about the PSU then. possibly when it hits a certain wattage it starts to make some noise.

OHHH i have another idea.
have you gone through your BIOS?
i can't remember exactly what it's called but there is an option to block EMI or something like that. i remember turning it off awhile back to see what it did and i could hear some weird stuff going on.

uhhh, also if you live near a military base, something could be going on there. Have you taken your computer outside of your home? (possibly to a friends house or something)
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post
well, what about the PSU then. possibly when it hits a certain wattage it starts to make some noise.

OHHH i have another idea.
have you gone through your BIOS?
i can't remember exactly what it's called but there is an option to block EMI or something like that. i remember turning it off awhile back to see what it did and i could hear some weird stuff going on.

uhhh, also if you live near a military base, something could be going on there. Have you taken your computer outside of your home? (possibly to a friends house or something)
I don't think there is an option relating to blocking EMI. I will have a look next time I restart the system.

I don't live near a military base The wiring in my house is kind of old though (house is something like 130+ years old) but my dad is certified in dealing with electricity and he said that the wiring in the house would not cause the problem.

I also cant move it to a friends house since I don't have a car and my friends house is about 20 min walk away.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 2GB MSi 6950 Twin Frozr 3 4GB ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoint F3 LG super multi DVDRW Windows 7 pro 64 bit Acer p236H 23" 1080p monitor 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech g510 Super flower amazon 550w 80+ bronze NZXT hades 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Messed up system?