John Carmack is certainly my idol when it comes to video game programming. His knowledge and wisdom of video gaming tech is godlike. I hope some day I can be as knowledgeable as him.
Originally Posted by Z Overlord
Can someone provide a tl;dr summarry of this? 32 minutes is...
Here are some of the topics I can remember off the top of my head:
* PC GPU drivers have a big overhead. One function that might be straight to the point on consoles might do very many unnecessary calculations on the PC.
* Keep an eye out for Intel Graphics. They certainly aren't the joke they were in the past. They certainly are capable of improving a lot more too.
* Experimenting a lot with Ray Tracing.
* "Unlimited Detail" has been experimented around with for many many years now but doesn't really work out.
* Beware of tech demos. They don't take into account many of the features that production quality games have. Without these features frame rates are significantly
higher than they really would be.
* The next "big jump" in immersion will probably come from I/O. He envisions a type of goggles that will feature a type of display that will give you full visual immersion.Edited by SchmoSalt - 8/17/11 at 2:48am