Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Why spend £1000 on headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Why spend £1000 on headphones? - Page 8

post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Price isn't an issue but I mostly use them for gaming though and is there a big enough difference to justify spending a few hundred on cans?
Yes but there's no point getting decent headphones without a decent source and if needed, external amplification. Great quality audio is cheaper than ever now tbh but there is alot of ignorance, even from 'audiophiles', out there.

The BBC could of interviewed a local UK headphone producer in Goldring :/
Edited by chinesekiwi - 8/17/11 at 7:20am
post #72 of 83
I guess I should have figured that the one time a HP article came up on OCN there'd be about 2 or 3 people that knew what they were talking about.

Expensive headphones, and headphones driven by an amp, will not inherently make you go deaf. Raised output will.

Loved the comment asking if 100W was enough to drive cans, made my day (for the serious questions, amps usually deliver less than 1W at different impedences).

The $300-400 range is honestly where most people (disregarding you guys out there who swear you can't hear the difference in anything) can stop spending money on cans. The big 3 (K701, HD650, DT880 if you're unaware) still hold their own against the newer $1k flagship models.

I'm not really sure I agree with the Lyr being a crappy amp, Schiit makes some really good gear for the price...and it works perfectly well with K701s which are a total bear to drive properly. Plus tube rolling I know I can't wait for them to start shipping their Bifrost at the end of September, it'll be a hell of a DAC (and their other two unannounced DACs will be even better).
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 83
I have a nice stereo system but for the PC I use the onboard.

Something like one of these and better cans make a big difference?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
I have a nice stereo system but for the PC I use the onboard.

Something like one of these and better cans make a big difference?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010
All soundcard amp sections (if they even have one) are not nearly as competent as out-of-PC units. Their primary function is to be a DAC and clean up the signal (which some, like that card, can do quite well).
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post
I guess I should have figured that the one time a HP article came up on OCN there'd be about 2 or 3 people that knew what they were talking about.

Expensive headphones, and headphones driven by an amp, will not inherently make you go deaf. Raised output will.

Loved the comment asking if 100W was enough to drive cans, made my day (for the serious questions, amps usually deliver less than 1W at different impedences).

The $300-400 range is honestly where most people (disregarding you guys out there who swear you can't hear the difference in anything) can stop spending money on cans. The big 3 (K701, HD650, DT880 if you're unaware) still hold their own against the newer $1k flagship models.

I'm not really sure I agree with the Lyr being a crappy amp, Schiit makes some really good gear for the price...and it works perfectly well with K701s which are a total bear to drive properly. Plus tube rolling I know I can't wait for them to start shipping their Bifrost at the end of September, it'll be a hell of a DAC (and their other two unannounced DACs will be even better).
I like the DT880's open design. Might get it over the Denon AH-D2000.

The Schiit Bifrost does look interesting as you can swap out add in cards. It's basically like a computer except you only change the expansion cards. It's a really interesting concept. I want one but it's $349.99 and I'd end up spending more than just getting a good receiver. I would get it if I had the cash.

On Topic: I do agree. It's not that the most expensive ones don't sound good but it's that they sound near the same to their lower priced models. Reminds me of the HD555 to HD595 mod. They're basically the same but with a piece of foam (or something) at the earcup IIRC.

You're welcome for making your day lol.
Edited by HybridCore - 8/17/11 at 7:39am
Trinity
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K Biostar Hi-Fi A85W APU Integrated Graphics G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64GB Western Digital WD Blue 500GB Lite-On iHAS124 CD/DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Pull Configuration) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blue (JIS l... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430 NZXT Source 220 Logitech Click! Mouse SteelSeries QcK Mini Diablo III Edition 
AudioAudioOther
Sony SRS-T10PC USB Portable Speaker Realtek Onboard Audio Intel Centrino Desktop Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Trinity
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K Biostar Hi-Fi A85W APU Integrated Graphics G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64GB Western Digital WD Blue 500GB Lite-On iHAS124 CD/DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Pull Configuration) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blue (JIS l... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430 NZXT Source 220 Logitech Click! Mouse SteelSeries QcK Mini Diablo III Edition 
AudioAudioOther
Sony SRS-T10PC USB Portable Speaker Realtek Onboard Audio Intel Centrino Desktop Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
I like the DT880's open design. Might get it over the Denon AH-D2000.

The Schiit Bifrost does look interesting as you can swap out add in cards. It's basically like a computer except you only change the expansion cards. It's a really interesting concept. I want one but it's $349.99 and I'd end up spending more than just getting a good receiver. I would get it if I had the cash.
I mean, all the cans I listed are open...and if anything, the DT880 is the most "closed" out of all of them

$350 (mind you, you have to add $100 if you want a USB input) for a DAC that you won't have to replace due to future changes in cable standards (and from a company with a proven record of making great Schiit () for the money, I don't see how you can argue with that at all.
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
The Space Heater
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 4.04GHz EP45-UD3P 2 x EVGA 896MB 55nm c216 2x2GB Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250GB Sony and TSST Windows XP (SP2) Acer H213H (21.5", 1080p) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750W NZXT Tempest Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post
I guess I should have figured that the one time a HP article came up on OCN there'd be about 2 or 3 people that knew what they were talking about.

Expensive headphones, and headphones driven by an amp, will not inherently make you go deaf. Raised output will.

Loved the comment asking if 100W was enough to drive cans, made my day (for the serious questions, amps usually deliver less than 1W at different impedences).

The $300-400 range is honestly where most people (disregarding you guys out there who swear you can't hear the difference in anything) can stop spending money on cans. The big 3 (K701, HD650, DT880 if you're unaware) still hold their own against the newer $1k flagship models.

I'm not really sure I agree with the Lyr being a crappy amp, Schiit makes some really good gear for the price...and it works perfectly well with K701s which are a total bear to drive properly. Plus tube rolling I know I can't wait for them to start shipping their Bifrost at the end of September, it'll be a hell of a DAC (and their other two unannounced DACs will be even better).
Yep, 100W would fry any headphone. It might even catch on fire tbh (not kidding). Anyway, I highly disagree with the 'big three' holding it against $1k models. the $1k models are in a different leagues and yes, I've heard all of the mentioned and the HD800, all properly amped and sourced.

Look up the Schiit drama involving Nwavguy
There's a lot of Head-fi FOTM (flavour of the month) going on there.
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post
All soundcard amp sections (if they even have one) are not nearly as competent as out-of-PC units. Their primary function is to be a DAC and clean up the signal (which some, like that card, can do quite well).
Well I can't see dropping $500+ on sound if I'm not going to be totally blown away by it, so a ASUS Xonar and better head phones worth it or not?
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
On Topic: I do agree. It's not that the most expensive ones don't sound good but it's that they sound near the same to their lower priced models. Reminds me of the HD555 to HD595 mod. They're basically the same but with a piece of foam (or something) at the earcup IIRC.
It got it close to a HD595 but isn't the same. Also one example does not blanket example all others.
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Well I can't see dropping $500+ on sound if I'm not going to be totally blown away by it, so a ASUS Xonar and better head phones worth it or not?
Yes. We have got a sub section for that stuff y'know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Why spend £1000 on headphones?