Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [TopicFire] Epic Working On “PC As A Primary Platform”
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TopicFire] Epic Working On “PC As A Primary Platform” - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post
I think what's going on now is that now they realize that APU's will bring a massive amount of people into PC gaming since llano is relatively inexpensive and will handle most games on decent settings. I bet they're thinking "PC is going to be the next mainstream".
Only if llano and the new crop of apus is the future of consoles. Money trumps everything else._
Black Sunshine II
(17 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 B1 @ 4.0 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R v.2.0 Gigabyte Radeon 460 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Intel 510 SSD Samsung 1TB WD LiteOn iHAS324-98 Y Cougage Tru Spirit (lapped) with Akasa Viper Pu... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dual Asus 24 inch 1080P TN Corsair TX650 Cheapo Antec 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sunshine II
(17 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 B1 @ 4.0 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R v.2.0 Gigabyte Radeon 460 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Intel 510 SSD Samsung 1TB WD LiteOn iHAS324-98 Y Cougage Tru Spirit (lapped) with Akasa Viper Pu... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dual Asus 24 inch 1080P TN Corsair TX650 Cheapo Antec 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
Nobody is targeting the PC as a primary platform--they're just saying that because of all the hooplah PC gamers made regarding getting crappy port leftovers rather than proper games (which is true as of late). The PC gaming market is dwindling, sadly, and from a financial perspective, a gaming company is stupid if they don't pursue consoles first, with PC's as a distant second (or third). People love to make money and post gains--that's really not going to happen if you emphasize PC's. I hate to say it.
I hate to say this but I think that you misunderstand the power of the PC vs the console....

After all a console is a media/entertainment system, where a PC can do so much more than a stupid console...

Would parents buy their kids both a console & a PC if they were tight on money? Of course not.

Secondly, kids need a PC for school & homework, so a PC will eventually overshadow the console, but not just because of school.

Kids love gaming on a PC too! Many kids have taken to crazy flash games online, they love the PC more than the Console now (also thanks to Social Networking), so there is more proof that the console isn't better. That's not to be rude or harsh, just a friendly reminder that you need a PC for all of the other stuff you want to do that a console cannot, so why not just use the PC as the primary machine? Makes sense to me...

I cannot wait for the return of new PC games, seriously! I don't think we are too far away from the time that Game Makers will focus more on PC than consoles, and you can say what you want about consoles, the PC is NOT going anywhere, where as the console on the other hand, well, it very well may be headed for the recycle bin some day.

This isn't about PC/Console though, it's about a game developer's statement, and I have no reason to doubt that game makers want to focus on PC again, in fact I don't only encourage it, I think any smart game company should never ignore the fact that PC was first & will continue to remain popular, even long after the kid becomes an adult too! I see the console as a preparatory school for bigger toys and better gaming (on the PC).

After all, PC gaming is seriously evolving, and will continue to evolve, where game makers can profit more (look at WOW), and many companies are finding very crafty ways to fight piracy more and more each day. The rise of PC gaming is coming, mark my words.\\

This is the Future.... (Present too)


Edited by _GTech - 8/16/11 at 7:35am
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #13 of 23
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then...


Aoi
(20 items)
 
Midori
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 Gigabyte G1.Killer Guerilla GTX670 4GB SLI 24GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor Samsung F1 Blu-ray XL Corsair H70 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell 2405FPW Dell U2410 Dell 2405FPW 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Silverstone Strider 1kw Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Ozone XL Integrated Logitech G13 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77-M Pro nVidia GTX680 Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
WD Velociraptor 600GB Samsung DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Ubuntu Server Customised 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Triple Dell U2412M Sidewinder X6 Corsair TX750 Fractal Design R4 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
Aoi
(20 items)
 
Midori
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 Gigabyte G1.Killer Guerilla GTX670 4GB SLI 24GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor Samsung F1 Blu-ray XL Corsair H70 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell 2405FPW Dell U2410 Dell 2405FPW 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Silverstone Strider 1kw Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Ozone XL Integrated Logitech G13 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77-M Pro nVidia GTX680 Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
WD Velociraptor 600GB Samsung DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Ubuntu Server Customised 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Triple Dell U2412M Sidewinder X6 Corsair TX750 Fractal Design R4 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenemeister View Post
Only if llano and the new crop of apus is the future of consoles. Money trumps everything else._
Llano is only the beginning of a new era in gaming, that APU is pretty awesome, and it can play quite a few games too!

Llano may make gaming on mobile machines more plausible too.

I like where AMD is focused, really I do...
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

Show us the goods, don't just talk about them.
Yeah all talk and no show is not a good thing...

These game makers need to put their money where their mouth is, for certain.

Us PC Gamers are standing on the sideline going "Uh huh", and we aren't buying anything because you aren't pushing anything worth talking about!

Phaedrus is correct, it's time to put up or shut up!
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #16 of 23
A step in the right direction I reckon.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
as it sounds like these are small-scale projects
Not interested in small scale, that sounds too casual to me.
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
Nobody is targeting the PC as a primary platform--they're just saying that because of all the hooplah PC gamers made regarding getting crappy port leftovers rather than proper games (which is true as of late). The PC gaming market is dwindling, sadly, and from a financial perspective, a gaming company is stupid if they don't pursue consoles first, with PC's as a distant second (or third). People love to make money and post gains--that's really not going to happen if you emphasize PC's. I hate to say it.
The PC platform is not dwindling, its not as popular as it once used to be, but its there and still growing.
What's going on.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz ASUS P8Z77-V PRO EVGA GTX 670 2gb 8gb of DDR3 G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD w/ 250gb HDD Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit Shimian 27" 2560x1440p DELL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 watt Antec 1200 Full Tower Logitech G400 Blue colored 
  hide details  
Reply
What's going on.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz ASUS P8Z77-V PRO EVGA GTX 670 2gb 8gb of DDR3 G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD w/ 250gb HDD Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit Shimian 27" 2560x1440p DELL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 watt Antec 1200 Full Tower Logitech G400 Blue colored 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
I really hate how they all say that piracy will kill sales on PC. I for one have spent a crap-load of money on games this summer in the form of steam sales and such. Every game worth buying up till now I have purchased.

Also in all honesty I haven't pirated a game in a year, the games that I have pirated a while ago I really did not play very much. Instead I play my steam games because I spent money on the good games there.

I mean don't they realise that many people pay for services that allow them to pirate things? The thing is that paying for a game on steam is simply more convenient so I buy my games there. Make a good game and we will buy it...
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post
Plenty of companys focus on PC games and make plenty of money. You speak of rubbish.
None big enough to make a difference. Even if they all banded together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
I hate to say this but I think that you misunderstand the power of the PC vs the console....

After all a console is a media/entertainment system, where a PC can do so much more than a stupid console...

Would parents buy their kids both a console & a PC if they were tight on money? Of course not.

Secondly, kids need a PC for school & homework, so a PC will eventually overshadow the console, but not just because of school.

Kids love gaming on a PC too! Many kids have taken to crazy flash games online, they love the PC more than the Console now (also thanks to Social Networking), so there is more proof that the console isn't better. That's not to be rude or harsh, just a friendly reminder that you need a PC for all of the other stuff you want to do that a console cannot, so why not just use the PC as the primary machine? Makes sense to me...

I cannot wait for the return of new PC games, seriously! I don't think we are too far away from the time that Game Makers will focus more on PC than consoles, and you can say what you want about consoles, the PC is NOT going anywhere, where as the console on the other hand, well, it very well may be headed for the recycle bin some day.

This isn't about PC/Console though, it's about a game developer's statement, and I have no reason to doubt that game makers want to focus on PC again, in fact I don't only encourage it, I think any smart game company should never ignore the fact that PC was first & will continue to remain popular, even long after the kid becomes an adult too! I see the console as a preparatory school for bigger toys and better gaming (on the PC).

After all, PC gaming is seriously evolving, and will continue to evolve, where game makers can profit more (look at WOW), and many companies are finding very crafty ways to fight piracy more and more each day. The rise of PC gaming is coming, mark my words.\\
I never said that PC's aren't more powerful than consoles, and I never said that consoles are inherently better than PC's--I'd rather steer plenty clear of that argument, yet again. It comes down to the bottom line of the developer. It's always been more profitable to develop for a console than it is to develop for PC's. That's not to say that a company cannot profit from coding for PC's, it's just more profitable to do so for a console.

Yes, virtually everybody these days "needs" a PC. But they do not need a high-end gaming machine--that's a very important difference (though albeit a commonly ignored one by folks on OCN). A crapton of people have home computers. A very small percentage of them have machines that are even barely capable of keeping up with a modern game at a reasonable resolution. There's just no market outside of the enthusiasts.

And what's this talk of APU's making a difference? There's no OS support for the architecture of the current AMD APU--for the time-being, it's just an x86 CPU with an on-die graphics chipset that just happens to be better than the current intel on-die graphics chipset. APU's won't have any functional effect on performance until operating systems change from their x86-oriented design. Even with OpenCL and various things that help to utilize graphics processor power for non-graphical things, it's still a very long ways off.

Maybe PC gaming will see a small boost because of more-competent on-die graphics chipsets, but these are nowhere near being what the enthusiast thinks is enough to push modern games. If someone has the choice between a console playing a game without a problem at 1080p, and a computer *maybe* being able to play the game with cut-down details/graphics, I wouldn't be someone picks the console 9 times out of 10.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [TopicFire] Epic Working On “PC As A Primary Platform”