Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [develop-online] Newell: We have to convince EA to come back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[develop-online] Newell: We have to convince EA to come back - Page 20

post #191 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post
Both of you are missing the problem here. It has almost nothing to do with who is a fan to what franchise. Its what the businesses want to do with the fan base.

The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.

At this displeasure, we are here. Some say get over it, others say why should I?


That's where I'm currently at. Why should i divide my libraries to use origin? Ea's response for that is battlefield 3 and its only 1 title to divurge me from a lifetime of support and 100's of titles I've received from steam.

There are still glitches in bc2 that have never been fixed lol. And again I have no problem with origin the client, I have a problem with it only offering EA games, and making them exclusive to only origin.

I didn't spend the money I did on this rig to begin a list of compromises such as those on the table, so currently I'm not convinced to invest in that service from origin.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
It seems that you are actually missing the problem.

You say:

Quote:
I didn't spend the money I did on this rig to begin a list of compromises such as those on the table
Well actually, you did.

Origin is literally just a copy of the Valve/Steam model at its root which is "make anyone who buys your games have to use X client".

That is what they both are at their core.

Steam has more features surrounding that core, but that main core is a constant/common feature between them.

Therefore, you actually began a list of compromises the very second you decided to give lifelong support to the Valve/Steam model.

Steam is not NEEDED to run games, but you compromised for whatever reason.

You will attempt to list those reasons in an attempt to support that compromise as somehow being different from Origin.

But whatever reason that was, doesn't change the fact that your decision to compromise your ability to choose how you play your games, STARTED when you chose to support a company who will only allow their own games, AS WELL AS steamworks games from other publishers, through their Steam client.

You gave up the right to be upset at the Valve/Steam core model that EA is copying, the very second you gave it a life long endorsement.

Quote:
The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.
When Steam started, it was contorting the faces of people who just liked to play games by clicking on an icon and going directly into their games.

I personally like to just run games from my PC. I don't even run quarter of the games I own through steam. I actually wouldn't even have Steam on my PC if I didn't buy TF2. You're complaining about having to install Origin for one game? Welcome to me in 2007 when I had to install Steam just to play TF2. I am just one person who had to do this.

Steam, along with your support, took away the ability of non Steam users, to play many games without installing steam and forced them to use a method outside of their normal process.

Origin is a product of you and many others decision to support the Valve/Steam core model so vigorously. If you didn't want the model to be seen as acceptable or profitable, you shouldn't have supported it so vehemently.

You cant start peeing in the water and be fine with it for years while its affecting everyone else, then complain when your tap water starts turning yellow and starts affecting you in the same way.

Its diabolical.
Edited by GrizzleBoy - 8/21/11 at 2:59am
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post
lol okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
wat
Perhaps that was not worded in a way for you to understand. You are basically saying BF3 will have the same mass appeal and hype compared to CoD:Mw2: you will be compelled to buy the game regardless.

You are in essence comparing BF3 to CoD:MW2 by posting that MW2 boycott message. The irony is you are comparing BF franchise to CoD franchise, the franchise that BF fans tend to raise their nose against and demean.

Also, the picture is a Steam group boycott. The game will not even be available on Steam and is Origin only. If you were to make a BF3 boycott group on EA's message board, your EA account and all of your games will likely be banned.

Valve never banned people who joined the CoD:MW2 or L4D2 boycott groups. EA has history that showed that they would ban.
Edited by Riou - 8/21/11 at 4:04am
post #193 of 198
@GrizzleBoy very well said.

Quote:
The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.

At this displeasure, we are here. Some say get over it, others say why should I?


That's where I'm currently at. Why should i divide my libraries to use origin? Ea's response for that is battlefield 3 and its only 1 title to divurge me from a lifetime of support and 100's of titles I've received from steam.

There are still glitches in bc2 that have never been fixed lol. And again I have no problem with origin the client, I have a problem with it only offering EA games, and making them exclusive to only origin.
You are taking Steam and its services for granted.
EA is not obliged to offer you games through steam, in fact even steam is not required to offer games through its catalog like it does now.
These are private companies and they will do wherever they see most profit.

Quote:
That's where I'm currently at. Why should i divide my libraries to use origin? Ea's response for that is battlefield 3 and its only 1 title to divurge me from a lifetime of support and 100's of titles I've received from steam.
Nobody is asking you to divide your libraries to use origin. Its your choice.

EA has now grown to become one of the largest publishers if not the largest with BF3 as one of the most selling and anticipated games in its catalog in recent memory. With every sale of BF3 via steam, ea has to pay royalties to valve. Considering the fanbase of steam, if BF3 were available on steam one would expect ALOT of sales to be made through steam in which ea pays money to valve.
The counter argument would be that by using origin, ea is ignoring the large fanbase of steam who is too stubborn to use anything else and thereby losing many sales.

It might be true in the short-term but eventually people will get over it.
In the long run it means more revenue for EA.

Quote:
And again I have no problem with origin the client, I have a problem with it only offering EA games, and making them exclusive to only origin.
Thats kind of ridiculous.
Why should origin offer anything else than EA games? Its ea's client offering ea's games.
With a statement like that, it just means you are too dependant on steam to think from the other perspective.


I would like to state that while I don't have a problem with origin, I simply hate the concept of steam or origin and would much like my games to just start directly from the double-click of an icon.
EA Download Manager was okay, in a way that it was a neat way to download your game anytime, but if the new client requires me to keep it running in the background all the time, then its crossing the line.
Edited by lurkingdevil - 8/21/11 at 4:36am
Small Black Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955BE K9A2VM-FD ASUS GTX560 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 2 x 2 GB Platinum Edition 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm WD Caviar Green  CM N520 Cpu Cooler Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC P&C Silencer 610W CM Elite 342 Logitech G9x ARTISAN HIEN-Value 
  hide details  
Reply
Small Black Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955BE K9A2VM-FD ASUS GTX560 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 2 x 2 GB Platinum Edition 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm WD Caviar Green  CM N520 Cpu Cooler Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC P&C Silencer 610W CM Elite 342 Logitech G9x ARTISAN HIEN-Value 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
Perhaps that was not worded in a way for you to understand. You are basically saying BF3 will have the same mass appeal and hype compared to CoD:Mw2: you will be compelled to buy the game regardless.

You are in essence comparing BF3 to CoD:MW2 by posting that MW2 boycott message. The irony is you are comparing BF franchise to CoD franchise, the franchise that BF fans tend to raise their nose against and demean.

Also, the picture is a Steam group boycott. The game will not even be available on Steam and is Origin only. If you were to make a BF3 boycott group on EA's message board, your EA account and all of your games will likely be banned.

Valve never banned people who joined the CoD:MW2 or L4D2 boycott groups. EA has history that showed that they would ban.


Reading your post is equivalent to watching a youtube video of an extreme left/right party follower.

Hardly any facts, some assumption passed off as facts, most of it fear mongering.

1. Once again, the picture has ONE message. That message is that boycotters from the Steam community have shown themselves to be weak and not really up to standing up for what they boycott against. It could have been a MW2 boycott, a Civilization boycott or any other game.

The game being boycotted does not matter, its the fact that the boycotters ruined their credibility that is what is being perpetuated through that picture.

Its not even rocket science.

2. It was a picture of a Steam group boycott, but it is also Steam users who are the majority of the people making noise about Origin. There is no difference except for the fact that the game they are boycotting is not on steam.

Unless you are implying that the majority of steam users literally only use steam to play games, in which case you've been drinking faaaar too much kool aid and misunderstand the situation on a grander scale that previously thought.

3. If you went onto EAs forums for even one second, you'd see the TONNES and TONNES of crapslinging the forumites do towards EA......EA have a history of letting people say whatever they want on their forums.

Moderation on the official US forums is beyond lax. You cant even call it moderation.

Even on the EAUK BF3 forums where moderation is much stricter, people directly criticise the devs, the community managers, EA, whoever they want. Noone gets their accounts banned unless they are directly trolling or just straight up constantly breaking the forum rules.

One or two isolated incidents out of thousands/millions doesn't change the entire history, in the same way that anyone who has had a bad experience with their Steam account doesn't become more important that the millions who haven't.


Seriously though....
Edited by GrizzleBoy - 8/21/11 at 4:51am
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #195 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post
Both of you are missing the problem here. It has almost nothing to do with who is a fan to what franchise. Its what the businesses want to do with the fan base.

The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.

At this displeasure, we are here. Some say get over it, others say why should I?


That's where I'm currently at. Why should i divide my libraries to use origin? Ea's response for that is battlefield 3 and its only 1 title to divurge me from a lifetime of support and 100's of titles I've received from steam.

There are still glitches in bc2 that have never been fixed lol. And again I have no problem with origin the client, I have a problem with it only offering EA games, and making them exclusive to only origin.

I didn't spend the money I did on this rig to begin a list of compromises such as those on the table, so currently I'm not convinced to invest in that service from origin.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Actually your missing the point

Last time I checked good games were not by what company made them or what launch program they used, it was if it was a good game or not. Are you saying a game is not worth playing unless its on steam, I guess thats every blizzard game in existence as well. With an i52500k and a evga 4602win, I thought you would have spent money to see your rig to run kickass and graphically demanding games, which bf3 is going to be, not only ghetto looking source games that happen to be on steam.

If you care about what company made Battlefield instead of the game you were never a fan to begin with.
Edited by sausageson - 8/21/11 at 8:09am
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #196 of 198
again. Everyone is missing the point entirely, I can only word it so many different ways trying to explain it has nothing to do with fanboyism. But because i support steam over origin it must mean I'm a valve fanboy? I don't even have the games installed.

That's like me trying to support amd while having an amd rig, it muuust mean I'm a fanboy.

I guess ill come back when ocn has every publisher having It's own client and service. Think its bad with steam? You'll love having a dozen or so different clients running for games in the future.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #197 of 198
I never mentioned fanboysim towards steam.

I did however quote where you say you have given a lifetime of support to it, currently standing at "100's of titles"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post
Both of you are missing the problem here. It has almost nothing to do with who is a fan to what franchise. Its what the businesses want to do with the fan base.

The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.

At this displeasure, we are here. Some say get over it, others say why should I?


That's where I'm currently at. Why should i divide my libraries to use origin? Ea's response for that is battlefield 3 and its only 1 title to divurge me from a lifetime of support and 100's of titles I've received from steam.

There are still glitches in bc2 that have never been fixed lol. And again I have no problem with origin the client, I have a problem with it only offering EA games, and making them exclusive to only origin.

I didn't spend the money I did on this rig to begin a list of compromises such as those on the table, so currently I'm not convinced to invest in that service from origin.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
It seems that you are actually missing the problem.

You say:

Quote:
I didn't spend the money I did on this rig to begin a list of compromises such as those on the table
Well actually, you did.

Origin is literally just a copy of the Valve/Steam model at its root which is "make anyone who buys your games have to use X client".

That is what they both are at their core.

Steam has more features surrounding that core, but that main core is a constant/common feature between them.

Therefore, you actually began a list of compromises the very second you decided to give lifelong support to the Valve/Steam model.

Steam is not NEEDED to run games, but you compromised for whatever reason.

You will attempt to list those reasons in an attempt to support that compromise as somehow being different from Origin.

But whatever reason that was, doesn't change the fact that your decision to compromise your ability to choose how you play your games, STARTED when you chose to support a company who will only allow their own games, AS WELL AS steamworks games from other publishers, through their Steam client.

You gave up the right to be upset at the Valve/Steam core model that EA is copying, the very second you gave it a life long endorsement.

Quote:
The reason why steam users are having their face contorted is because there ability to choose the majority of games that are offered through the steam service has been taken by ea.
When Steam started, it was contorting the faces of people who just liked to play games by clicking on an icon and going directly into their games.

I personally like to just run games from my PC. I don't even run quarter of the games I own through steam. I actually wouldn't even have Steam on my PC if I didn't buy TF2. You're complaining about having to install Origin for one game? Welcome to me in 2007 when I had to install Steam just to play TF2. I am just one person who had to do this.

Steam, along with your support, took away the ability of non Steam users, to play many games without installing steam and forced them to use a method outside of their normal process.

Origin is a product of you and many others decision to support the Valve/Steam core model so vigorously. If you didn't want the model to be seen as acceptable or profitable, you shouldn't have supported it so vehemently.

You cant start peeing in the water and be fine with it for years while its affecting everyone else, then complain when your tap water starts turning yellow and starts affecting you in the same way.

Its diabolical.

Edited by GrizzleBoy - 8/21/11 at 10:25am
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 198
I wasn't quoting you actually, more of a response to the guy above me, but ok.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [develop-online] Newell: We have to convince EA to come back