Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Prime 95, 12 hours on load.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prime 95, 12 hours on load. - Page 2

post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
You could try not using Fail 95 and just run OCCT linkpack/IBT/LinX and see your instability faster.
OCCT is the same as Prime95, except OCCT runs with a much higher priority. Prime95 runs at a priority of 1 while OCCT is closer to 7, 8 or even 9. That's why OCCT seems different.

Linpack (IBT and LinX) is not superior to "prime", but instead it is merely different. However, this does not apply to Sandy Bridge (so keep that in mind while you're looking at my sig rig).

For Sandy Bridge, Linpack is a waste of time because Prime95's Custom test utilizing at least 95% of our memory is the best (this is not an opinion - this is a fact). For previous generation Intel CPUs, a mixture of everything is the best (not simultaneously, of course). Again, this is not an opinion - this is a fact. So for previous generation, it's best to test with Prime95's Small FFTs, Blend, Large FFTs, and also Linpack. None are superior to another. Once again, this is not an opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wongwarren View Post
Personally I wouldn't go over 1.4V on this chip. As for the temperature, I don't like seeing it over 73C.
Why 73?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
If it's not Linpack and Memtest stable for 8+ hours it's not stable. Even then it might not be stable.
Memtest is not a stability test for memory: it's an error-checking test. If memory can pass 7-10 passes in Memtest (which takes several hours), then all that means is that it's error-free. However, that does not guarantee that it's stable. Why? Because the variables change once your operating system is loaded. To test memory stability, we must run software like Prime95's Custom using at least 95% of our memory, HCi's MemTest, and even Linpack using the largest amount of memory that works (hopefully 95% memory at minimum).

For true stability, this is where it's at:
  1. 12 hours of Prime95's Small FFTs
  2. 12 hours of Prime95's Custom test using at least 95% of your memory
  3. 12 hours of Prime95's Large FFTs
  4. 50-100 runs of Linpack using at least 95% of your memory
  5. I've never used HCI's MemTest, so I cannot comment on how to use it, but I still think it should be used.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Why 73?
I like that number XD
Need a doctor??
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-3570k Asus P8P67 Pro Asus GeForce GTX 460 Palit GeForce 9500GT 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung SH-S223C Cooler Master Hyper 212X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 LG E2350T SteelSeries 7G FSP Aurum Gold 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
X5 Raynor Tower G1 Razer Abyssus Razer Sphex Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
Audio
Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
Need a doctor??
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-3570k Asus P8P67 Pro Asus GeForce GTX 460 Palit GeForce 9500GT 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung SH-S223C Cooler Master Hyper 212X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 LG E2350T SteelSeries 7G FSP Aurum Gold 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
X5 Raynor Tower G1 Razer Abyssus Razer Sphex Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
Audio
Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongwarren View Post
I like that number XD
Oh.

Weirdo.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
OCCT is the same as Prime95, except OCCT runs with a much higher priority. Prime95 runs at a priority of 1 while OCCT is closer to 7, 8 or even 9. That's why OCCT seems different.

Linpack (IBT and LinX) is not superior to "prime", but instead it is merely different. However, this does not apply to Sandy Bridge (so keep that in mind while you're looking at my sig rig).

For Sandy Bridge, Linpack is a waste of time because Prime95's Custom test utilizing at least 95% of our memory is the best (this is not an opinion - this is a fact). For previous generation Intel CPUs, a mixture of everything is the best (not simultaneously, of course). Again, this is not an opinion - this is a fact. So for previous generation, it's best to test with Prime95's Small FFTs, Blend, Large FFTs, and also Linpack. None are superior to another. Once again, this is not an opinion.



Why 73?



Memtest is not a stability test for memory: it's an error-checking test. If memory can pass 7-10 passes in Memtest (which takes several hours), then all that means is that it's error-free. However, that does not guarantee that it's stable. Why? Because the variables change once your operating system is loaded. To test memory stability, we must run software like Prime95's Custom using at least 95% of our memory, HCi's MemTest, and even Linpack using the largest amount of memory that works (hopefully 95% memory at minimum).

For true stability, this is where it's at:
  1. 12 hours of Prime95's Small FFTs
  2. 12 hours of Prime95's Custom test using at least 95% of your memory
  3. 12 hours of Prime95's Large FFTs
  4. 50-100 runs of Linpack using at least 95% of your memory
  5. I've never used HCI's MemTest, so I cannot comment on how to use it, but I still think it should be used.
No, Linpack is clearly superior to Prime because the CPU temperatures are much higher for linpack than Prime. If Prime was just as intensive of a test the CPU temperatures would be the exact same, which it's not.

Can you back up your "facts" with "sources?"

First you say linpack is useless for testing memory. Then you say linpack works to test memory. Nice contradiction. Pretty sure you have no clue what you're talking about...
Edited by MinitroN - 8/18/11 at 10:22pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
No, Linpack is clearly superior to Prime because the CPU temperatures are much higher for linpack than Prime. If Prime was just as intensive of a test the CPU temperatures would be the exact same, which it's not.
The only reason why the temps are higher is because the calculations are different: they cause the CPU to generate more heat. It doesn't mean that Linpack is superior. The prime integers and the linpack calculations are different from each other. There's nothing else to it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
Can you back up your "facts" with "sources?"
I refuse. After seeing how rude you've been to other members, I'm not going to waste my time with that. You're not worth it because I know that you'll never let anyone tell you that you're wrong no matter what.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
First you say linpack is useless for testing memory. Then you say linpack works to test memory. Nice contradiction. Pretty sure you have no clue what you're talking about...
Read my post again.

For Sandy Bridge, Linpack is useless for both stress testing the CPU overclock and for testing memory stability.

For previous-generation Intel CPUs (previous to Sandy Bridge), linpack is NOT useless for either.

Do you understand now?
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 54
IBT / Prime96 /OCCT etc etc aside...

Ive found a new respect for Memtest and will use it with my other tools for stability testing.

I think we sometimes overlook RAM stability when we are wrapped up in CPU stability. They go hand in hand.

Memtest will pick up errors caused by erroneous systems settings such as NB, VTT etc.

If you think your CPU is stable, give MEMtest a fly for a couple of hours and be certain
Edited by Sethy666 - 8/18/11 at 10:45pm
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
The only reason why the temps are higher is because the calculations are different: they cause the CPU to generate more heat. It doesn't mean that Linpack is superior. The prime integers and the linpack calculations are different from each other. There's nothing else to it.



I refuse. After seeing how rude you've been to other members, I'm not going to waste my time with that. You're not worth it because I know that you'll never let anyone tell you that you're wrong no matter what.



Read my post again.

For Sandy Bridge, Linpack is useless for both stress testing the CPU overclock and for testing memory stability.

For previous-generation Intel CPUs (previous to Sandy Bridge), linpack is NOT useless for either.

Do you understand now?
So you refuse to post any sources to back up your made up facts, awesome.

I think we can just completely disregard his posts considering there's no merit behind them.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
So you refuse to post any sources to back up your made up facts, awesome.

I think we can just completely disregard his posts considering there's no merit behind them.
Read it again: my reason for refusing is because I've seen how rude you've been to others, and I've seen enough to know that you have an "I am always right, and everyone else is always wrong" type of attitude.

So again: you are not worth it. To be honest, the only reason why I posted is for EpicPie's benefit, not yours. I don't need him to be mislead by you.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
So you refuse to post any sources to back up your made up facts, awesome.

I think we can just completely disregard his posts considering there's no merit behind them.
Thats a foolish comment. I can safely put my hand on my heart and vouch for TC and his advice. If you choose to differ, thats okay too.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post
Thats a foolish comment. I can safely put my hand on my heart and vouch for TC and his advice. If you choose to differ, thats okay too.
He will always differ no matter who it is.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Prime 95, 12 hours on load.