Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How to install OS on M4?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to install OS on M4? - Page 3

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin View Post
Oh one more question. you said don't connect to the internet to update the OS automatically but which update do I not to install?
Since I have to update the other part of OS.
I'll have to install mobo and sata3 drivers and all the stuff before updating the OS, is that correct?
Correct. I installed all the mobo, audio, LAN, GPU, etc drivers on my own before Windows could interfere.
Though now after over a hundred updates, Windows refuses to give me SP1 for Win7. O_o"
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPK View Post
Correct. I installed all the mobo, audio, LAN, GPU, etc drivers on my own before Windows could interfere.
Though now after over a hundred updates, Windows refuses to give me SP1 for Win7. O_o"
It should come along on it's own eventually.

Also, windows needs to be activated before it will let you update. So connecting to the net after the install is fine.

I install windows.
Install lan drive and reboot.
Install video drive and reboot.
Install all other drivers with Intel RST and chipset last.
Reboot, run WEI (windows experience index) Reboot.
Test everything, if ok, activate windows and update.

I've had to reinstall windows over 10 times in the last 6 months. First trying to fix a problem with my c300 which turned out to be a bad cable. Then my Vertex 3 which was and is still a nightmare.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
It should come along on it's own eventually.

Also, windows needs to be activated before it will let you update. So connecting to the net after the install is fine.

I install windows.
Install lan drive and reboot.
Install video drive and reboot.
Install all other drivers with Intel RST and chipset last.
Reboot, run WEI (windows experience index) Reboot.
Test everything, if ok, activate windows and update.

I've had to reinstall windows over 10 times in the last 6 months. First trying to fix a problem with my c300 which turned out to be a bad cable. Then my Vertex 3 which was and is still a nightmare.
That's exactly what I've done, except it seems to have updated without even activating. O-o
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPK View Post
That's exactly what I've done, except it seems to have updated without even activating. O-o
When you are installing win7, it will prompt you on how to handle updates. I tell it to inform me of updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. That's probably why mine doesn't update as opposed to activation.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 36
Right... well anyways, I'm just going to activate before installing SP1, just in case.
post #26 of 36
I just got my M4 today, so I'm subbing just in-case.
Petitmort
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i9-7900x Asus Rampage VI Extreme EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 iCX Hydro Copper Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK Water Loop Win 10 Dell 30" Atron 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Seasonic 1000w Caselabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Naga Chroma I use 6 mousepads, lol 
  hide details  
Reply
Petitmort
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i9-7900x Asus Rampage VI Extreme EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 iCX Hydro Copper Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK Water Loop Win 10 Dell 30" Atron 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Seasonic 1000w Caselabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Naga Chroma I use 6 mousepads, lol 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 36
Installing the newest AMD AHCI drivers really helped my performance!
Before:


After!:


Moral of the story: Get those drivers.

I did another complete fresh install yesterday to make sure the driver would install completely "cleanly", and I don't regret the hours spent. :3
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPK View Post
Installing the newest AMD AHCI drivers really helped my performance!
Before:


After!:


Moral of the story: Get those drivers.

I did another complete fresh install yesterday to make sure the driver would install completely "cleanly", and I don't regret the hours spent. :3
Glad you finally listened to me
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSCounter View Post
Glad you finally listened to me
Haha sorry, I'm just a perfectionist priss who feels a needs to quadruple check everything.
Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Now all you others reading this, do the same!
post #30 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPK View Post
Haha sorry, I'm just a perfectionist priss who feels a needs to quadruple check everything.
Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Now all you others reading this, do the same!
Where did you get the driver from? AMD?
Does that driver only work on AMD mobo?
And what version of this driver is it?
Google only shows me bunch of old drivers....
Edited by Tunagoblin - 8/19/11 at 11:09am
i5 2500K GTX570HD
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.384V AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) UEFI3.19 EVGA GTX 570HD SC 930/1950 G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 PC12800 2x4GB@1866 9-10-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB, 1x 500GB WD, 2x1TB WD Samsung DL DVD Writer Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Steelseries 6GV2 Rosewill Capstone 650W Corsair 600T White 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries Qck Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
i5 2500K GTX570HD
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.384V AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) UEFI3.19 EVGA GTX 570HD SC 930/1950 G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 PC12800 2x4GB@1866 9-10-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB, 1x 500GB WD, 2x1TB WD Samsung DL DVD Writer Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Steelseries 6GV2 Rosewill Capstone 650W Corsair 600T White 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries Qck Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How to install OS on M4?