Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Will a headset always be better than headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will a headset always be better than headphones? - Page 3

post #21 of 29
They offer different kinds of sound. IEMS offer immerser sound, where its as if the sound is in your heard. Cans offer more of a surround sound, where its like your in a room and they are playing around you. Both can be good, and no one type is better than the other until extremely high price ranges (>$1000) so as far as your wallet goes no, there is no difference really.

And please don't use headset. They usually imply gaming headsets with a microphone.
Mule
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P GeForce 9800 GTX+ OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640gb + Seagate 500gb LiteOn DvD Burner Win7 + Ubuntu Viewsonic 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergo Keyboard RAIDMAX HYBRID 630W RAIDMAX SHITADON Krait (Soon to be CM Spawn) 
Mouse Pad
Chinese cloth pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Mule
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P GeForce 9800 GTX+ OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640gb + Seagate 500gb LiteOn DvD Burner Win7 + Ubuntu Viewsonic 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergo Keyboard RAIDMAX HYBRID 630W RAIDMAX SHITADON Krait (Soon to be CM Spawn) 
Mouse Pad
Chinese cloth pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killam0n View Post
Let me start with this, I do NOT play Waw wow wuw or any other spelling of world of suck you in-craft.

I do like wireless though.. anyone tried the wireless WOW head phones?
or some similar/ better ones?
Amazon.com: Creative Labs 70GH010000000 Sound Blaster World of Warcraft Wireless Headset: Electronics



Some searching turned up this:
Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Headset F540 with Stereo Game Audio: Video Games

Hmm they are made by logitech and are more functional...
These are examples of the waste of money I was referring to earlier, poor audio quality, high price. Can get much better for less money with a set of headphones, they won't be wireless though.
2500k
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 1.27V Asus p67 Pro SLI 560 TI Ripjaws X 1600 2x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 + Spinpoint F3 Noctua N-D14 Win 7 x64 LG 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional NZXT 750w Hale90 Antec 600 M60 
Audio
ATH AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2500k
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 1.27V Asus p67 Pro SLI 560 TI Ripjaws X 1600 2x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 + Spinpoint F3 Noctua N-D14 Win 7 x64 LG 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional NZXT 750w Hale90 Antec 600 M60 
Audio
ATH AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post
mah mimah has a deep voice mang, you need good headphones for that.

What I wonder is though. Why can't these companies that make these good headphones also create something for the gamer? It doesn't have to be flashy, it just needs to work well. Why do they not incorporate a good mic with a good headphones and make it work? Everyone knows 90% of all consumers want to be spoon-fed stuff. They don't want something with 17 buttons, 6 sliders and a dozen in- and outputs. They just wanna be like: "me gamer, you maky headset for me". If what you say is true then why do only crappy companies understand this and not the companies that make good quality stuff?
It's because casual gamers who want a headset don't know what audiophile-quality sound is like, so they are able to sell them crap headsets with crap drivers for a ridiculous price. However, there are really good headsets out there with audiophile-quality drivers. The only problem is they carry a huge price premium...



Yeah, I don't think you're looking to spend that much money...
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for your help =)

I'm thinking I'll go with some headphones... any good recommendations around the $100-$150 mark?
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by decimate View Post
It's because casual gamers who want a headset don't know what audiophile-quality sound is like, so they are able to sell them crap headsets with crap drivers for a ridiculous price. However, there are really good headsets out there with audiophile-quality drivers. The only problem is they carry a huge price premium...

Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset with Microphone: Electronics


Yeah, I don't think you're looking to spend that much money...
Astrogaming and Turtle Beach both have wireless systems with that pricetag. And they sell fine.

Perhaps it's just the console market always not getting the great stuff. Odd seeing how many game copies are shipped every year. Must be a market in there somewhere.
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post
Astrogaming and Turtle Beach both have wireless systems with that pricetag. And they sell fine.

Perhaps it's just the console market always not getting the great stuff. Odd seeing how many game copies are shipped every year. Must be a market in there somewhere.
They sell fine not because they're good products, but because console gamers have no idea what audiophile-quality sound is. And standard headphones and PC headsets can be used with consoles with the right converters (Astro MixAmp, Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS, etc.).

Those headsets by Turtle Beach and Tritton might be true 5.1 or 7.1 headsets or whatever, but what that means is that at least 4 drivers are shoved into each earcup in order to achieve that standard. For them to accomplish this, the drivers that they use are usually pretty small and crammed together in a small space. This makes the sound muddled although it is "true" surround sound. You're better off getting some nice open audiophile stereo headphones with a wide soundstage.

Probably the only true 5.1 headset I would actually consider recommending is the Cooler Master Storm Sirus because I haven't seen a bad review yet and it looks like the guys at CM actually put some thought into the design of it. It has 3 30mm drivers and a 40mm driver acting as a subwoofer in each earcup.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
Thanks everyone for your help =)

I'm thinking I'll go with some headphones... any good recommendations around the $100-$150 mark?
Audi Technica AD700 or ATH-M50's ar good choices for gaming
Big Black v2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus 980Ti Strix 32gb Corsair LPX 2800MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
PNY 480GB SSD  Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 custom loop Windows 10 Pro Samsung JU6500 4k 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U3011 Corsair HX-1000 Corsair 780T 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Black v2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus 980Ti Strix 32gb Corsair LPX 2800MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
PNY 480GB SSD  Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 custom loop Windows 10 Pro Samsung JU6500 4k 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U3011 Corsair HX-1000 Corsair 780T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobsta1109 View Post
Audi Technica AD700 or ATH-M50's ar good choices for gaming
Absolutely untrue.

The M50s have a closed off soundstage and are the worst headphones I have used for gaming. Far too much bass, absolutely no positioning. I do agree with the AD700 recommendation, however.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by decimate View Post
They sell fine not because they're good products, but because console gamers have no idea what audiophile-quality sound is. And standard headphones and PC headsets can be used with consoles with the right converters (Astro MixAmp, Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS, etc.).
I was talking about the argument why real good manufacturers don't make gaming headsets even though they easly could. Why can't the manufacturer of the AD700s create a complete gaming headset for athe price of Astros?

Like I said people want to be spoon fed products. And my reaction above was to say the pricetag won't be such a big deal since Astrogaming makes expensive headsets and they sell like cookies.
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OrB!T*
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Kfa2 gtx670 EVGA GTX670 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 16gb low voltage ram Samsung 830 64gb ssd x2 Custom XSPC water loop Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g19 Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1050 Silverstone TJ07 Logitech X9 
AudioOther
Logitech G35 Full Coldzero plexi panels 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k Intel DZ87KLT75K Integrated Cosair Vengeance 2*4 1.5v CL8 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor 256GB SSD WD Caviar black 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB LG bluray rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel AIO 120mm watercooler Windows 7 64bit LG 2360V Thermaltake Forged Blue TT switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Thermaltake Chaser MK I Roccat Kova+ Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Astrogaming A40 wireless Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Will a headset always be better than headphones?