Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Does overclocking really void warranty? Has anyone ever returned one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does overclocking really void warranty? Has anyone ever returned one?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi there. My CPU has just broke and I have overclocked it. But I'm fairly sure that the overclocking side is all done on the motherboard. So how would they know?It is still under it's 3 year warranty, so I was wondering if they might reject it if i sent it back.

Also has anyone ever sent anything back to the manufacturer/supplier that has been overclocked under warranty? If so how did it go? This included GPUs, CPUs, RAM etc. smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 7
1: How are sure its the processor?
2: They have no way of knowing unless you burned landing pads.
3: Yes, its done on the motherboard side.

Exactly how much voltage and temperature did you push...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH;14661760 
1: How are sure its the processor?
2: They have no way of knowing unless you burned landing pads.
3: Yes, its done on the motherboard side.

Exactly how much voltage and temperature did you push...

^^^ this here.... Unless there is physical damage, your cpu will be replaced if its bad. They can not tell if it was overclocked, so do not even mention it to them. BUT....


The chances of a cpu going bad are slim compared to things like the motherboard, ram and graphics card.

Be sure to test thoughtfully before RMA'n the CPU. Intel will send it back if they test it and it runs fine....
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acjed;14662007 
^^^ this here.... Unless there is physical damage, your cpu will be replaced if its bad. They can not tell if it was overclocked, so do not even mention it to them. BUT....


The chances of a cpu going bad are slim compared to things like the motherboard, ram and graphics card.

Be sure to test thoughtfully before RMA'n the CPU. Intel will send it back if they test it and it runs fine....

Thanks guys. I will look into further and try to eliminate the possibility of it being a fault with the CPU.

But even if it isn't, it's a piece of knowledge I've been wanting for a while now. Has anyone actually sent a PC part back and got it replaced after it's been overclocked?

Also why would physical damage to the chip indicate that it is overlocked? Surely a stock one could also be fired if there was a power surge in the house etc.?
post #5 of 7
There's no way to see if a CPU has been OC'd. The motherboard holds that info (assuming it's still at OC'd settings), so a CPU can be returned.
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawthorne;14662017 
Thanks guys. I will look into further and try to eliminate the possibility of it being a fault with the CPU.

But even if it isn't, it's a piece of knowledge I've been wanting for a while now. Has anyone actually sent a PC part back and got it replaced after it's been overclocked?

Also why would physical damage to the chip indicate that it is overlocked? Surely a stock one could also be fired if there was a power surge in the house etc.?

Its possible that there could be physical damage from a power surge, but Intel does not cover that.
They cover the cpu itself going bad with no outside influence. So physical damage would indicate an outside influence...

I have not sent a CPU back, but there have been a few people here that have and got a new one with no problem...

They can not tell if you overclocked it or not... Overclocking is done via the bios of the motherboard....
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acjed;14662047 
Its possible that there could be physical damage from a power surge, but Intel does not cover that.
They cover the cpu itself going bad with no outside influence. So physical damage would indicate an outside influence...

I have not sent a CPU back, but there have been a few people here that have and got a new one with no problem...

They can not tell if you overclocked it or not... Overclocking is done via the bios of the motherboard....

Thanks a million for clearing that up for me!!! MUCHO + REPO!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Does overclocking really void warranty? Has anyone ever returned one?