Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Adding a sound card to my HTPC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adding a sound card to my HTPC

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
I just bought a new home theater setup so I'm going to go ahead and buy a sound card to help with my gaming. I'm probably going to get the Xonar DG as I have it in my gaming PC and I like it. But is there any reason to go with a better card? I'm assuming no since during movies my receiver decodes most of the audio.

The HTPC is used for 80% movies and the other 20% is divided between gaming and music.
Gaming
(20 items)
 
HTPC
(21 items)
 
My Stuff
(12 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-3220 ASRock H77M EVGA 750ti CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB WD Black  2TB WD Green 4TB WD My Book Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cougar 120mm PWM Windows 10 60" Vizio M60-C3 4K Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
OCZ ModXStream 600w Silverstone GD05 Logitech K400 / MCE Remote Denon AVR-X2200W 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor II - CS2 BIC F12 - 12" Sub Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 70 x 2 Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 30 x 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(20 items)
 
HTPC
(21 items)
 
My Stuff
(12 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-3220 ASRock H77M EVGA 750ti CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB WD Black  2TB WD Green 4TB WD My Book Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cougar 120mm PWM Windows 10 60" Vizio M60-C3 4K Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
OCZ ModXStream 600w Silverstone GD05 Logitech K400 / MCE Remote Denon AVR-X2200W 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor II - CS2 BIC F12 - 12" Sub Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 70 x 2 Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 30 x 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 3
If you have Receiver or digital amplifier you dont need new soundcard.

As optical or coax is 1:1 digital bit stream, and even mid priced soundcards can`t top that.
TT Mozart Sx
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @4600MHz 1.30v ASrock P67 Extreme4 Ati HD5770 1GB Corsair 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Black 640GB Win7 64bit 27" LCD Sharkoon black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
550W TT Mozart Sx Gigabyte M8000 fUnc sUrface 
  hide details  
Reply
TT Mozart Sx
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @4600MHz 1.30v ASrock P67 Extreme4 Ati HD5770 1GB Corsair 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Black 640GB Win7 64bit 27" LCD Sharkoon black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
550W TT Mozart Sx Gigabyte M8000 fUnc sUrface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 
For movies I agree as I use SPDIF Pass Through.. but for gaming / music wouldn't I? I guess I assumed the onboard card decoded those.
Gaming
(20 items)
 
HTPC
(21 items)
 
My Stuff
(12 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-3220 ASRock H77M EVGA 750ti CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB WD Black  2TB WD Green 4TB WD My Book Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cougar 120mm PWM Windows 10 60" Vizio M60-C3 4K Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
OCZ ModXStream 600w Silverstone GD05 Logitech K400 / MCE Remote Denon AVR-X2200W 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor II - CS2 BIC F12 - 12" Sub Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 70 x 2 Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 30 x 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(20 items)
 
HTPC
(21 items)
 
My Stuff
(12 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-3220 ASRock H77M EVGA 750ti CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB WD Black  2TB WD Green 4TB WD My Book Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cougar 120mm PWM Windows 10 60" Vizio M60-C3 4K Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
OCZ ModXStream 600w Silverstone GD05 Logitech K400 / MCE Remote Denon AVR-X2200W 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor II - CS2 BIC F12 - 12" Sub Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 70 x 2 Polk Audio Monitor II - Monitor 30 x 2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Adding a sound card to my HTPC