Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New AMD Build - help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New AMD Build - help

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
hello ladies and gentlemen.

Here is what i have so far based of my new exsperience in building machines of any caliber. (Im trying to build a semi high end computer; at least capable of running the latest games (and ones to come) in a high/highest resolution very smoothly without loosing to much money) (lets say 400 - 700 $ Canadian/ more money saved the better though) Please change and rearrange this set up at your will! Constructive critisizm is what i need before diving into a new computer without the knowedge

Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
(Is this a good choise? what makes a good motherboard good? suggestions?)

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
(Was told it could be over clocked from 3.4 ghz to 4.2 ghz? will the factory fan cover the OC`ing? will new fans be needed and would the mother board handle it? also, how would i begin to overclock a computer from the motherboard or from software; whats more stable and efficient? Suggestions?)

GPU/video card - I have no idea; was told something with 1 gig internal memory was sufficient. Possibly something nvidia ( not exactally sure what makes a good GPU but i dont want to over spend/ under spend on a decent GPU. suggestions?)

Computer Case -COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (more fans possibly? any personal exsperience with this or other coolermaster products? I dont really want to go to the advanced version of this but open to change. Suggestions?)

RAM - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM 1600
(again, is this good? personal opinions/ useage? Is there a cheaper ram set where i can get something like this but twice ((2x4) x2)= 16 gig ram? or cheaper that wont dwindle on proformance?also, is 8 sufficient for gaming at this time and can this ram be overclocked; if OC`ing is possible with ram? again, suggestions?)

Power supply- not sure of wattage yet; suggestions for wattage/ brand?

sound card - I believe its built into the motherboard? If you suggest a MOBO without one, please suggest a sound card that will get the job done.

types of drives to put in like dvd and what not; not sure of good brands.

Monitors - Was told samsung was good but they are hitting 300$. Possibly acer?

Fans - other then manufactorer fans, not sure if needed uprades.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

i believe thats it for now. Thanks for who ever spends there time on me so that i dont get a bad computer and so i gain computer knoledge for the future.

p.s. If theres anything ive missed please add it in your reply and give lots of recommendations and exsperiences! I wasnt sure if i was aloud to post links so i can post on request.

p.p.s I have looked at the intel series but i believe AMD would be the better solution for me. All my thanks and regards in advanced! Also, if finding sales, please let me know(i have the bargan hunter curse haha)

~~ Dezi94
Canada

Edit: Forgot about hard drives too. Any brands? looking for possibly a 1 tb more or less
Edited by dezi94 - 8/27/11 at 7:44pm
post #2 of 22
Thread Starter 
Also, sorry for the thousand questions haha
post #3 of 22
mobo is good cpu is good but if you plan to OC you will need a better cooler everything seems good I usually prefer a 700w or higher psu even if its overkill as far as drives i have a $20 asus dvd/rw works just fine

Edit: as far as gpu I would get something with atleast 2gb vram
Edited by Anonymous305 - 8/27/11 at 7:38pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0ghz (1.42v) Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/usb3 HIS 6950 2gb unlocked 950/1450 16gb Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500gb Asus dvd/cd rw Win 7 premium x64 24" AOC 1080p 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Homemade Test Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0ghz (1.42v) Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/usb3 HIS 6950 2gb unlocked 950/1450 16gb Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500gb Asus dvd/cd rw Win 7 premium x64 24" AOC 1080p 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Homemade Test Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
-Get a 990FX/AM3+ Board, They aren't that expensive.

-Do it in bios, just read up on it while you are waiting for parts xD. No you'll want a better cooler if you are intending to OC that high.

-Any of 6850,6870,GTX 560ti will have you gaming real good.

-Case is good, Look into the cheaper NZXT M59 & Cooler Master 912 too

-8gb of RAM is more than enough if you're mainly gaming, Good choice on RAM too btw.

-I wouldn't pick anything off the OCN Recommended PSU list Seasonic,Sparkle,Corsair,Antec,Kingwin,Enermax,XFX make some good units as you can see there. Among others.

-Intergrated Audio should be fine for you, I'm only getting a Xonar to better the quality of music through my headset. Hopefully it does.

-DVD Drives? Liteon, Samsung, LG, Sony.

-I love me some Asus monitors. Samsung's are really nice too.

-Fans, You should be fine.
Simplicity
(16 items)
 
#2 PC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k MSI Gaming Z170A EVGA GTX 980 Classified Crucial Ballistix Tactical (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 950 Cryorig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CrossOver 2560x1440 IPS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Capstone 550-M Phanteks Enthoo Pro RAZER Abyssus Mirror Special Edition XTRAC Ripper 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Dayton Audio B652 Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q9300 Intel DP45SG MSI TFII GTX 660 Corsair Dominator 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 90gb Deepcool Gammaxx 300 Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 932bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Rosewill Lightning 800w CM Stryker Dell 
  hide details  
Reply
Simplicity
(16 items)
 
#2 PC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k MSI Gaming Z170A EVGA GTX 980 Classified Crucial Ballistix Tactical (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 950 Cryorig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CrossOver 2560x1440 IPS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Capstone 550-M Phanteks Enthoo Pro RAZER Abyssus Mirror Special Edition XTRAC Ripper 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Dayton Audio B652 Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q9300 Intel DP45SG MSI TFII GTX 660 Corsair Dominator 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 90gb Deepcool Gammaxx 300 Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 932bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Rosewill Lightning 800w CM Stryker Dell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Do you have a budget? And if so, what is it?

4 gigs of RAM will suffice for gaming if you need to cut some $$$ here and there, but 8 will help with running multiple processes.

Based on your CPU choice, which isn't bad for a budget build, you will want to go with a video card that won't be bottled necked. Do you have any particular games you want to play? If you're only playing TF2, L4D, WoW, other nondemanding games, I'd recommend going with a 6800 series AMD video card, giving you the option to crossfire in the future if you desire, and if you PSU and Mobo allow it.

But yes, budget? Choices of game? Any other uses besides gaming?

Edit,
As the poster above me pointed out, you might be more satisfied going with a 990FX board, with the AM3+ socket, giving you an upgrade path to bulldozer for when you want to upgrade, rather than shelling out more money for another motherboard. I'd recommend going with the Sabertooth 990FX. You'll also have the ability to run nvidia cards in SLI mode with this motherboard, if you so desire.

Also, you don't generally need a dedicated sound card. I think it's safe to say most motherboards have good onboard sound, at least for the majority of users.
Edited by Bayinghound - 8/27/11 at 7:49pm
Winter 2011
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 8 gig (2x4gb) 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 830 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit CM Storm Quickfire Pro HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Storm Stryker G400 Steelseries qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Winter 2011
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 8 gig (2x4gb) 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 830 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit CM Storm Quickfire Pro HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM Storm Stryker G400 Steelseries qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz View Post
-Get a 990FX/AM3+ Board, They aren't that expensive.

-Do it in bios, just read up on it while you are waiting for parts xD. No you'll want a better cooler if you are intending to OC that high.

-Any of 6850,6870,GTX 560ti will have you gaming real good.

-Case is good, Look into the cheaper NZXT M59 & Cooler Master 912 too

-8gb of RAM is more than enough if you're mainly gaming, Good choice on RAM too btw.

-I wouldn't pick anything off the OCN Recommended PSU list Seasonic,Sparkle,Corsair,Antec,Kingwin,Enermax,XFX make some good units as you can see there. Among others.

-Intergrated Audio should be fine for you, I'm only getting a Xonar to better the quality of music through my headset. Hopefully it does.

-DVD Drives? Liteon, Samsung, LG, Sony.

-I love me some Asus monitors. Samsung's are really nice too.

-Fans, You should be fine.
-http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=743637&CatId=7246

Thats the motherboard your talking about?

-http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7105766&CatId=3669

- the graphics card?

and what other fans/ cooling systems would i need for the over clocking would you think ? keeping the buget in mind. also thanks for the reply so fast!
post #7 of 22
Any 990FX or AM3+ 970 board will do, Will cost similar to the GTD so whynot.

A hyper 212+ for CPU, the most common and renowned budget (and its good) heatsink.

Yep that's a pretty good card, Sometimes you can find a 6870 for around the same price as the 6850's so keep an eye out.

The graphics card is relative on what you plan on doing though.
Simplicity
(16 items)
 
#2 PC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k MSI Gaming Z170A EVGA GTX 980 Classified Crucial Ballistix Tactical (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 950 Cryorig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CrossOver 2560x1440 IPS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Capstone 550-M Phanteks Enthoo Pro RAZER Abyssus Mirror Special Edition XTRAC Ripper 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Dayton Audio B652 Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q9300 Intel DP45SG MSI TFII GTX 660 Corsair Dominator 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 90gb Deepcool Gammaxx 300 Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 932bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Rosewill Lightning 800w CM Stryker Dell 
  hide details  
Reply
Simplicity
(16 items)
 
#2 PC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k MSI Gaming Z170A EVGA GTX 980 Classified Crucial Ballistix Tactical (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 950 Cryorig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CrossOver 2560x1440 IPS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Capstone 550-M Phanteks Enthoo Pro RAZER Abyssus Mirror Special Edition XTRAC Ripper 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Dayton Audio B652 Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q9300 Intel DP45SG MSI TFII GTX 660 Corsair Dominator 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 90gb Deepcool Gammaxx 300 Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 932bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Rosewill Lightning 800w CM Stryker Dell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinghound View Post
Do you have a budget? And if so, what is it?

4 gigs of RAM will suffice for gaming if you need to cut some $$$ here and there, but 8 will help with running multiple processes.

Based on your CPU choice, which isn't bad for a budget build, you will want to go with a video card that won't be bottled necked. Do you have any particular games you want to play? If you're only playing TF2, L4D, WoW, other nondemanding games, I'd recommend going with a 6800 series AMD video card, giving you the option to crossfire in the future if you desire, and if you PSU and Mobo allow it.

But yes, budget? Choices of game? Any other uses besides gaming?

Edit,
As the poster above me pointed out, you might be more satisfied going with a 990FX board, with the AM3+ socket, giving you an upgrade path to bulldozer for when you want to upgrade, rather than shelling out more money for another motherboard. I'd recommend going with the Sabertooth 990FX. You'll also have the ability to run nvidia cards in SLI mode with this motherboard, if you so desire.

Also, you don't generally need a dedicated sound card. I think it's safe to say most motherboards have good onboard sound, at least for the majority of users.
So it would be worth getting the Sabertooth 990FX mobo from asus? along with the Phenom II X4 965 series? I might just do that for power

I would be playing new release games; well, its what i invision doing.
Probably something like the Dues ex in (hopefully) high to very high graphics levels.
my buget would be between the 400 - 700 dollar range for everything incl. monitor, keyboard etc. but if i would have to go over, i would try to stay under the 700$ but i can go over if i must for what i want.
Other programs would probably just be high end video games and microsoft office for example. Possibly sony vegas.Thanks for the fast reply
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz View Post
Any 990FX or AM3+ 970 board will do, Will cost similar to the GTD so whynot.

A hyper 212+ for CPU, the most common and renowned budget (and its good) heatsink.

Yep that's a pretty good card, Sometimes you can find a 6870 for around the same price as the 6850's so keep an eye out.

The graphics card is relative on what you plan on doing though.
Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend any websites to buy from? in canada of course?

I have tigerdirect.ca
newegg.ca
ncix.com

thanks in advanced!

edit: also, the hyper 121+ would be good for the over clocking as well?
Edited by dezi94 - 8/27/11 at 8:14pm
post #10 of 22
Well to start with there are tons of potentially better choices - incl. the aforementioned AM3+ socket motherboard, aftermarket cooling, and a better case for price.

NCIX.com is where I buy from and if you are local to Toronto or Vancouver, you can save shipping costs, which can be huge at Newegg.ca; they also ship nationwide though and are one of the largest online computer stores in Canada, along with a very wide inventory. Tigerdirect has some local pickup centres in S. Ontario but pretty much features higher prices a lot of the time, and no price match; sometimes they have variable/different inventory though. MemoryExpress is local to Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg (in addition to Vancouver) but has a somewhat more limited inventory/choices. CanadaComputers is local to Southern Ontario only and has a wide inventory. NCIX, MemoryExpress and CanadaComputers all price match to other Canadian retailers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New AMD Build - help