Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › The Official Cooler Master Storm Trooper / Storm Stryker Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Cooler Master Storm Trooper / Storm Stryker Club - Page 411

post #4101 of 12421
Hi everyone, I've finally decided to go Air cooled on my new build, mainly for cost reasons and of course I've not got a clue about watercooling. wink.gif

I did look at H100 but there are too many posts ref unreliability and noisy pumps which put me off, not too mention I found a stunning deal on a Noctua NH-D14 which made it half the price of the H100.

Anyway since I'm going air cooled on this beast of a case, could you look over my air cooling system I'm planning to see if I've missed anything.

The system will be cooling a Sabertooth Z77, Intel I5 3570K ( overclocked to 4.4 / 4.5 hopefully ) 8gb XMS3 Ram and a GTX 680 4GB

Front of case Intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm red Led fans
Side Panel intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm Red Led fans
Top intake - Stock Coolermaster 200mm Fan black
Bottom exhaust - The 2 x stock coolermaster 120mm Red Led fans that come on the hard drive cases
Rear case exhaust- 1 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 140mm black fan

CPU Cooler - Noctura NH-D14

Fan Controller - Bitfenix Hydro pro controller

So there you go , I appreciate the system won't keep the system as cool as a proper watercooling loop, however, that is currently outside my price range and to be honest my capability as a builder.

So as a Air Cooling system, is there anything I'm missing or any fans make / size , or even intake and exhaust config I need to change

Noise while it would be nice to be quieter isn't a major concern, so long as It dosnt deafen me or wake the wife up. wink.gif

Hope someone answers my questions

Cowboy10uk
Edited by Cowboy10uk - 8/10/12 at 1:08am
post #4102 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy10uk View Post

Hi everyone, I've finally decided to go Air cooled on my new build, mainly for cost reasons and of course I've not got a clue about watercooling. wink.gif
I did look at H100 but there are too many posts ref unreliability and noisy pumps which put me off, not too mention I found a stunning deal on a Noctua NH-D14 which made it half the price of the H100.
Anyway since I'm going air cooled on this beast of a case, could you look over my air cooling system I'm planning to see if I've missed anything.
The system will be cooling a Sabertooth Z77, Intel I5 3570K ( overclocked to 4.4 / 4.5 hopefully ) 8gb XMS3 Ram and a GTX 680 4GB
Front of case Intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm red Led fans
Side Panel intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm Red Led fans
Top intake - Stock Coolermaster 200mm Fan black
Bottom exhaust - The 2 x stock coolermaster 120mm Red Led fans that come on the hard drive cases
Rear case exhaust- 1 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 140mm black fan
CPU Cooler - Noctura NH-D14
Fan Controller - Bitfenix Hydro pro controller
So there you go , I appreciate the system won't keep the system as cool as a proper watercooling loop, however, that is currently outside my price range and to be honest my capability as a builder.
So as a Air Cooling system, is there anything I'm missing or any fans make / size , or even intake and exhaust config I need to change
Noise while it would be nice to be quieter isn't a major concern, so long as It dosnt deafen me or wake the wife up. wink.gif
Hope someone answers my questions
Cowboy10uk

First: Great!
Second: pix!
Third: a small hint: hot air travels up teaching.gif

I would go: front intake, side intake, bottom intake, top exhaust, rear exhaust.
Recently I discovered you don't need a top fan since the air will naturally travel up anyway, I also don't have the top fan filter (actually it's damaged) = no restrictions

So welcome!
post #4103 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortOfGrim View Post

wackosmiley.gif interesting loop thinking.gif
Do tell me again the graphic cards you got.
Over complicated loop. System and GPU are the same ones that are in my signature. wink.gif

6950 (unlocked to 6970)
and xfx 6970 v1.4 with EK V2 block.
 
Nova Stryker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Asrock Z77e-ITX EVGA GTX 670 SC 4Gb 8Gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128Gb OCZ Vertex 4 HGST Travelstar 1Tb Yate Loon 2400rpm 120mm Ek-Coolstream XT 240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower D5 Modkit Bitspower Single D5 pump top reservoir 150mm Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G BitFenix Prodigy Razer Deathadder Black Edition 
Mouse PadOtherOther
Razer Vespula XSPC 7/16 5/8 compression fittings Bitspower Various fittings 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Nova Stryker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Asrock Z77e-ITX EVGA GTX 670 SC 4Gb 8Gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128Gb OCZ Vertex 4 HGST Travelstar 1Tb Yate Loon 2400rpm 120mm Ek-Coolstream XT 240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower D5 Modkit Bitspower Single D5 pump top reservoir 150mm Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G BitFenix Prodigy Razer Deathadder Black Edition 
Mouse PadOtherOther
Razer Vespula XSPC 7/16 5/8 compression fittings Bitspower Various fittings 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4104 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortOfGrim View Post

First: Great!
Second: pix!
Third: a small hint: hot air travels up teaching.gif
I would go: front intake, side intake, bottom intake, top exhaust, rear exhaust.
Recently I discovered you don't need a top fan since the air will naturally travel up anyway, I also don't have the top fan filter (actually it's damaged) = no restrictions
So welcome!

Thanks for the answer, first off, sadly no pix yet as build wont be completed for 3 weeks yet, however I do like your idea of using the top 200mm as an exhaust. Now you mentioned it, it's obvious we all know hot air rises. Doohh wink.gif

However wouldn't having the bottom as an intake just suck up all the crap and dust. I know the case has a filter, but would that be enough.

Glad you like the spec though. I'll get photos up just as soon as I have them and I've sorted out some kind of cable management. smile.gif

Would love to have my hd's running left to right so the cables go straight behind the board, however I also want the fans on the front. Sadly as you know, can't have both, so went for the cooling rather than the cable management option. frown.gif

( only thing I would change with this case )

Cowboy10uk
post #4105 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy10uk View Post

Thanks for the answer, first off, sadly no pix yet as build wont be completed for 3 weeks yet, however I do like your idea of using the top 200mm as an exhaust. Now you mentioned it, it's obvious we all know hot air rises. Doohh wink.gif
However wouldn't having the bottom as an intake just suck up all the crap and dust. I know the case has a filter, but would that be enough.
Glad you like the spec though. I'll get photos up just as soon as I have them and I've sorted out some kind of cable management. smile.gif
Would love to have my hd's running left to right so the cables go straight behind the board, however I also want the fans on the front. Sadly as you know, can't have both, so went for the cooling rather than the cable management option. frown.gif
( only thing I would change with this case )
Cowboy10uk

It depends on the surface the Storm is going to work. If you have a clean (non carpet) surface, keep the bottom filter and let them run at normal/idle it won't be a problem. No need to high rev those bottoms wink.gif
However if you do have carpet I'd suggest looking here or here for wheels.

How many and what type of hard drives you got?
you can mount the 2.5" in the small bay mounted in front of the psu. Or mount one bay left-to-right and one front-to-back.
The options with this case are legion!
post #4106 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy10uk View Post

Hi everyone, I've finally decided to go Air cooled on my new build, mainly for cost reasons and of course I've not got a clue about watercooling. wink.gif
I did look at H100 but there are too many posts ref unreliability and noisy pumps which put me off, not too mention I found a stunning deal on a Noctua NH-D14 which made it half the price of the H100.
Anyway since I'm going air cooled on this beast of a case, could you look over my air cooling system I'm planning to see if I've missed anything.
The system will be cooling a Sabertooth Z77, Intel I5 3570K ( overclocked to 4.4 / 4.5 hopefully ) 8gb XMS3 Ram and a GTX 680 4GB
Front of case Intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm red Led fans
Side Panel intake - 2 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 120mm Red Led fans
Top intake - Stock Coolermaster 200mm Fan black
Bottom exhaust - The 2 x stock coolermaster 120mm Red Led fans that come on the hard drive cases
Rear case exhaust- 1 x Bitfenix Spectra Pro 140mm black fan
CPU Cooler - Noctura NH-D14
Fan Controller - Bitfenix Hydro pro controller
So there you go , I appreciate the system won't keep the system as cool as a proper watercooling loop, however, that is currently outside my price range and to be honest my capability as a builder.
So as a Air Cooling system, is there anything I'm missing or any fans make / size , or even intake and exhaust config I need to change
Noise while it would be nice to be quieter isn't a major concern, so long as It dosnt deafen me or wake the wife up. wink.gif
Hope someone answers my questions
Cowboy10uk

Nice setup for cooling fans, I went the same BitFenix route and love them! Only thing I'd change is the bottom should be intake and the top should be exhaust. If you have a carpet floor just put the computer on a piece of wood, I've done this before and it worked great. Mine sits on the desktop though now, no reason to have a nice case like this sit under the desk all hidden from view!
Edited by benben84 - 8/10/12 at 5:43am
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4107 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortOfGrim View Post

It depends on the surface the Storm is going to work. If you have a clean (non carpet) surface, keep the bottom filter and let them run at normal/idle it won't be a problem. No need to high rev those bottoms wink.gif
However if you do have carpet I'd suggest looking here or here for wheels.
How many and what type of hard drives you got?
you can mount the 2.5" in the small bay mounted in front of the psu. Or mount one bay left-to-right and one front-to-back.
The options with this case are legion!

Yep she's sat on Hard flooring so that shouldn't be an issue, as to the hard drives, Im planning to have 1 x 2tb seagate barracuda green,
1x seagate Maximus Xt 500gb 2.5"

And a media Sata one of about 160gb.

Did think about changing the bottom one left to right with the hdrives in, but then the fan on there would only be blowing into the back board, rather than towards the GPU.

Cowboy10uk
post #4108 of 12421
All of my wiring and sleeving and pins have arrived, cant wait to get started sunday to add to this great thread
post #4109 of 12421
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8981 View Post

All of my wiring and sleeving and pins have arrived, cant wait to get started sunday to add to this great thread

Good luck man hopefully you don't run into any hiccups like i have. thumb.gif
 
Nova Stryker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Asrock Z77e-ITX EVGA GTX 670 SC 4Gb 8Gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128Gb OCZ Vertex 4 HGST Travelstar 1Tb Yate Loon 2400rpm 120mm Ek-Coolstream XT 240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower D5 Modkit Bitspower Single D5 pump top reservoir 150mm Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G BitFenix Prodigy Razer Deathadder Black Edition 
Mouse PadOtherOther
Razer Vespula XSPC 7/16 5/8 compression fittings Bitspower Various fittings 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Nova Stryker
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Asrock Z77e-ITX EVGA GTX 670 SC 4Gb 8Gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128Gb OCZ Vertex 4 HGST Travelstar 1Tb Yate Loon 2400rpm 120mm Ek-Coolstream XT 240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Bitspower D5 Modkit Bitspower Single D5 pump top reservoir 150mm Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G BitFenix Prodigy Razer Deathadder Black Edition 
Mouse PadOtherOther
Razer Vespula XSPC 7/16 5/8 compression fittings Bitspower Various fittings 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4110 of 12421
SortofGrim what specs are you wanting, Its a i73820 @ 4.3 with 2133 ram on an Asus P9X79-deluxe , I, gona try to get 5.0 and 2400 this weekend. Im really close but the VRM was gerring warm, but now Ive added a fan on back and and reversed the top fans so gonna try again. I crammed in a 140x29mm rad in back, a 280x29mm rad in top,(both with just pull) and a push pull on a 280x31mm rad at the back of where the drive cages mounted. Running an XSPC Raystorm CPU block, but the cards(Asus 560ti) will have to wait for waterblocks till an upgrade, (non-refrence) and there is a MCP35X pump under the FrozenQ rez. Ive got a Crucial M4 128g for OS and a WD640 Black drive cached with a Corsair 40g for storage. There is also an asus Blu ray drive and Asus dvd drive installed. If you want any other specs let me know.
HYDROTROOPER
(19 items)
 
itx beast
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-3820 ASUS P9X79-Deluxe eVGA 680 Classified ASUS 560TI DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Dominator gt 2133 4*4 Crucial M4 128 Western Digital Caviar Black 640 ASUS DVD 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
ASUS BLU RAY XSPC RAYSTORM Total of 5x140 rads Windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24inch Thermaltake Challenger pro Corsair HX850 Coolermaster Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake black Gaming Thermaltake Dasher Corsair Vengance 1500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k asus itx pro  evga 780ti superclocked gskill trident 2400 8g 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500g samsung evo blu ray liquid windows 7 
PowerCase
seasonic 600 antec mini itx 
  hide details  
Reply
HYDROTROOPER
(19 items)
 
itx beast
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-3820 ASUS P9X79-Deluxe eVGA 680 Classified ASUS 560TI DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Dominator gt 2133 4*4 Crucial M4 128 Western Digital Caviar Black 640 ASUS DVD 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
ASUS BLU RAY XSPC RAYSTORM Total of 5x140 rads Windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24inch Thermaltake Challenger pro Corsair HX850 Coolermaster Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake black Gaming Thermaltake Dasher Corsair Vengance 1500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k asus itx pro  evga 780ti superclocked gskill trident 2400 8g 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500g samsung evo blu ray liquid windows 7 
PowerCase
seasonic 600 antec mini itx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › The Official Cooler Master Storm Trooper / Storm Stryker Club