Overclock.net banner

EVGA GTX 580 Water Block help

19K views 206 replies 36 participants last post by  mxthunder 
#1 ·
So I ordered the Koolance VID-NX580 Water Block and it turn's out that it's not compatible with my EVGA GTX 580 Superclock. I even watched a youtube video of someone installing it on the exact same card [ame="[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJwN6bS3RLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJwN6bS3RLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJwN6bS3RLw[/ame[/URL]] but my card does not have a heat spreader over the GPU. (Big gray square with Nvidia logo over the GPU).

Since my card does not have this heat-spreader, the water block fails to make contact.

My question is: Can you guys recommend a Water block that would be compatible? I'm going to either send this one back or sell it on E-bay but I don't want to run into the same problem with an EK or Danger Den water block.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Ordered it new from Newegg. I'm assuming the heat spreader is attached firmly? I will check around and make sure it didn't come off when I took off the heatsink.

I'll try and post pics soon.

Edit: According to this post on the Koolance forums, EVGA has confirmed that some cards do not come with the heat spreader.

Here is a picture I found of one with the heat spreader removed
GTX480IHSremoval.jpg

I will try and contact EVGA to see if they can send me one.

#6 ·
Can I see a pic of your card? I have a heatkiller block in rma right now because it wouldn't make contact with the core on my 580. I think this may be the problem. I don't think mine has a big heat spreader like that. I think it has a metal square around the core with the core inside.

I have the air cooler back on already. I called evga and they told me there has not been any changes. Sucks now it looks like I will need to rma my card if they will even let me.

I'm subbing this please post pics if you can and what happens. I think the pic you posted is of a 480 though, don't think the 580 has those big holes in the pcb.

#9 ·
All three of my Zotacs have the heatspreader, bought them within the last month or so. So this an evga thing or nvidia's new/final reference design for the 580. Any other card makers w/ the same thing
confused.gif

#10 ·
So heres mine. This has been a total pain. Glad I ran across this thread plus rep for those that figured it out, can't believe I didn't notice it.
2ypngb8.jpg

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger S.;14967379
I am a evga guy, but that is weak imo..
I feel the same way.

#15 ·
Yah they are very close to me so an rma should be quick.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog99;14968627
I never notest that really funny but I have
3 GTX 580s 2 BOP and 1 SO all 3 did not come
With it but my EK blocks work just fine with them
Sorry but what did you mean by BOP and SO?

Not sure how an ek block would work I will have to take a look at them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingChampion;14969199
I just opened my EVGA card on Thursday and it had it's heatspreader in place. Mines the model without any Torx screws though and the high-flow bracket pre-installed.
Mine has the torx screws. Where did you buy yours from?

#20 ·
Called EVGA's tech support and they confirmed that their new cards do not come with a heatspreader. The guy on the phone said that the Hydro Copper 2 will work with this version of the card but could not give me info on other Waterblocks that are supported.

Lightsout: You might want to try calling them also and see if they give you a different answer.

Edit: Mine is also the version with the T6 Torx screws.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suctorial Soup;14969486
Called EVGA's tech support and they confirmed that their new cards do not come with a heatspreader. The guy on the phone said that the Hydro Copper 2 will work with this version of the card but could not give me info on other Waterblocks that are supported.
That's because they won't support anything other then what they can control. Too many variables.

Sent from my iPhone

#23 ·
So he put n an rma. He said they will be back to me within a couple days. Hopefully it gets approved. I don't want to have to go through the 2 week process of returning to amazon.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;14969463

BOP = Black Ops Editi

SO = Super overclocked Editi

The 2 Black ops editi I got like a haf year ago
And the superclocked I got like 2 weeks ago
And all three did not come with it so I didn't
Know it was spouts to have it at all lol
But Thay all work just fine with
EK GTX 580/570 full waterblock

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;14969463

I think mines are the latest reference version released from EVGA. I got it from a Step up like 3 months ago from a 570.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suctorial Soup;14969669
Do you know if they are going to do Cross-shipping Lightsout? I would hate to be without a video card for two weeks.
They only do Cross Shipping if you pay for their premium RMA service. You only get 30 days after registering/purchasing to do so I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;14969663
So he put n an rma. He said they will be back to me within a couple days. Hopefully it gets approved. I don't want to have to go through the 2 week process of returning to amazon.
Amazon has the greatest RMA service to date in my opinion for a reseller. Ask them for a cross-shipment/advanced RMA and they will gladly do so. The only problem is if they can't activate a advanced RMA (sometimes happens), you will have to buy the card again and send in your card afterwards to wait for your refund. It happens, but it is well worth it. They pay for shipping too both ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.