Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair Carbide Series Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair Carbide Series Owners Club - Page 375

Poll Results: Which One(s) Do you Own?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 14% of voters (91)
    200R
  • 22% of voters (135)
    300R
  • 18% of voters (112)
    400R
  • 46% of voters (283)
    500R
612 Total Votes  
post #3741 of 4610
I just picked up the 300R last night and I am about halfway through moving my system into the new case. I purchased a few additional fans yesterday to add to the case.
  • In the front I have 2 x 120mm SP120's blowing air in.
  • In the rear, I have an H60 setup with a 1 x 120mm SP120 pull setup as an exhaust. Should I set this up as push/pull?
  • For the top, should I set those as an exhaust? Right now I placed the 140mm fan that was in the front and I was going to add 1 x 120mm SP120 to that or just go with 2x 120mm on the top.

What do you guys recommend, any thoughts?
post #3742 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I just picked up the 300R last night and I am about halfway through moving my system into the new case. I purchased a few additional fans yesterday to add to the case.
  • In the front I have 2 x 120mm SP120's blowing air in.
  • In the rear, I have an H60 setup with a 1 x 120mm SP120 pull setup as an exhaust. Should I set this up as push/pull?
  • For the top, should I set those as an exhaust? Right now I placed the 140mm fan that was in the front and I was going to add 1 x 120mm SP120 to that or just go with 2x 120mm on the top.

What do you guys recommend, any thoughts?

I would have suggested the AF fans rather than SP for intake (but you've already bought them), as the names state, one is for AirFlow and the other is for Static Pressure. Although you make think static pressure is better for moving air through the HDD cage, it isn't, leave the SP fans for radiators. The AF fans are excellent when it comes to airflow and they're almost silent, too.

Because you're not using AF fans, and you have SP120 fans for intake at the front I'd suggest using the top fans as intake too, leaving the H60 fans as the only exhaust. This should be produce better temperatures inside the case and keep up a positive pressure.

Though you can always try out different configurations and see what gives you the best result. Good luck.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3743 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebRa View Post

I would have suggested the AF fans rather than SP for intake (but you've already bought them), as the names state, one is for AirFlow and the other is for Static Pressure. Although you make think static pressure is better for moving air through the HDD cage, it isn't, leave the SP fans for radiators. The AF fans are excellent when it comes to airflow and they're almost silent, too.

Because you're not using AF fans, and you have SP120 fans for intake at the front I'd suggest using the top fans as intake too, leaving the H60 fans as the only exhaust. This should be produce better temperatures inside the case and keep up a positive pressure.

Though you can always try out different configurations and see what gives you the best result. Good luck.

Are the AF fans much louder though than the SP's? I can always move the SP's to the top and purchase a set of AF's to add to the front or could exchange these for some AF's.

For the H60, should I do push/pull?
Edited by CaptainZombie - 7/19/13 at 12:14pm
post #3744 of 4610
I thought consensus was that AF fans were better in non obstructed areas, and SP fans were better for pushing air through obstructed areas like radiators and HDD cages.??
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3745 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

I thought consensus was that AF fans were better in non obstructed areas, and SP fans were better for pushing air through obstructed areas like radiators and HDD cages.??

That's what I've found. The static pressure fans are meant to push through something like a radiator, while "AF" or Air Flow models are meant for case sides, exhaust ports, etc.

Things like the Corsair H100i come stock with a set of SP110's if I remember right.
post #3746 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

Are the AF fans much louder though than the SP's? I can always move the SP's to the top and purchase a set of AF's to add to the front or could exchange these for some AF's.

For the H60, should I do push/pull?

The I have both the AF120s and SP120s, the AFs run at full speed with the SPs at half speed. The AF120s are actually quieter as far as I can tell.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3747 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

I thought consensus was that AF fans were better in non obstructed areas, and SP fans were better for pushing air through obstructed areas like radiators and HDD cages.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTAO View Post

That's what I've found. The static pressure fans are meant to push through something like a radiator, while "AF" or Air Flow models are meant for case sides, exhaust ports, etc.

Things like the Corsair H100i come stock with a set of SP110's if I remember right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebRa View Post

The I have both the AF120s and SP120s, the AFs run at full speed with the SPs at half speed. The AF120s are actually quieter as far as I can tell.


Are you guys recommending than that the two fans I have in the front stay as the SP120's, then place 2 AF120's on the top for exhaust, then just use the fan that came with the H60 for exhaust?

How is the side window on the 300r? I am thinking of actually ordering it from the Corsair store.
post #3748 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

I thought consensus was that AF fans were better in non obstructed areas, and SP fans were better for pushing air through obstructed areas like radiators and HDD cages.??

The SP fans are indeed best for radiators, but I've found that the AF fans are a lot better at getting air through my HDD cage than the SP fans. I've got 2 HDDs and an SSD in the bottom cage of my 500R and 2 AF120s as intake, because the air flow is great with those fans it flows through the cage and helps cool the case. I tried using an SP120 instead and the case temperatures rose only by about 1-2 degrees Celsius, but most surprisingly the HDD temperatures rose by 3-4. Probably because the heat wasn't being directed through the case but stagnating at the cage.

So for radiators, the static pressure is needed, but for airflow through HDD cages and the case in general, AF fans work great.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC "Reference Fan" 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb Samsung 830 256Gb SSD Lite-On iHAS220 Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair Carbide 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3749 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebRa View Post

The SP fans are indeed best for radiators, but I've found that the AF fans are a lot better at getting air through my HDD cage than the SP fans. I've got 2 HDDs and an SSD in the bottom cage of my 500R and 2 AF120s as intake, because the air flow is great with those fans it flows through the cage and helps cool the case. I tried using an SP120 instead and the case temperatures rose only by about 1-2 degrees Celsius, but most surprisingly the HDD temperatures rose by 3-4. Probably because the heat wasn't being directed through the case but stagnating at the cage.

So for radiators, the static pressure is needed, but for airflow through HDD cages and the case in general, AF fans work great.

I was just watching a video by Linus Tech Tips and Linus was saying that the AF120 fans should be in the front to push air through the case, then the same should be applied with the top of the case. For the rad to use the SP120 like you said.

So I'll just take these SP's back to Tiger Direct and exchange them for the AF's.
post #3750 of 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post



Are you guys recommending than that the two fans I have in the front stay as the SP120's, then place 2 AF120's on the top for exhaust, then just use the fan that came with the H60 for exhaust?

How is the side window on the 300r? I am thinking of actually ordering it from the Corsair store.

I left the stock fans that came with my 300r alone, and added 5 NZXT FN-140RB for air flow on every other spot.
Personally, I think a SP fan would be wasted, since blowing into a case, or out into the open without any restriction would be a low pressure situation, where you'd use a low pressure fan. SP fans are meant to blow through or against something. That being said, I guess they could do ok as exhaust fans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair Carbide Series Owners Club