Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus P8Z68-V Fan Header and Fan Control Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus P8Z68-V Fan Header and Fan Control Questions

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
1.) Is it correct that both PWR_FAN1 and PWR_FAN2 headers are not controllable by software and just provides the full +12V to any fan connected to them?

2.) CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 are controllable but can they be controlled "individually" or are they controlled simultaneously?

3.) I've read that the 4th pin of the CHA_FAN1 header is "reserved" and is not, in any way, a PWM signal pin. Is there a way to enable PWM with this header?

4.) Lastly, which is better between PWM and voltage control and why?

TIA for the help smile.gif
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 34
1) If they are 3 pin headers then you cannot control them via software. I'm pretty sure they are 3 pin headers.

2) I believe they are controlled together, not individually. If you use "FAN Xpert" on Asus AI suite you only have one option "Chassis Fan", not Chassis Fan 1 and Chassis Fan 2. I think the way they've wired it is so only 1 of the CHA_FAN headers has a "active" PWM pin, and the other will operate at what ever the first one is set to.

3) I think my explanation above answers this. Don't think there would be a way to enable PWM.

4) There's no better really, they do the same thing. PWM is just more convenient because you can use software and set profiles.

My advice would be to save yourself the hassle and just get a cheap fan controller.
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888;15002015 
1) If they are 3 pin headers then you cannot control them via software. I'm pretty sure they are 3 pin headers.

2) I believe they are controlled together, not individually. If you use "FAN Xpert" on Asus AI suite you only have one option "Chassis Fan", not Chassis Fan 1 and Chassis Fan 2. I think the way they've wired it is so only 1 of the CHA_FAN headers has a "active" PWM pin, and the other will operate at what ever the first one is set to.

3) I think my explanation above answers this. Don't think there would be a way to enable PWM.

4) There's no better really, they do the same thing. PWM is just more convenient because you can use software and set profiles.

My advice would be to save yourself the hassle and just get a cheap fan controller.

1.) How were you able to conclude that the 4th pin of CHA_FAN1 is indeed a PWM signal? Many Asus mobo users say otherwise. I'm confiused.

2.) So if CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 are controlled simultaneously, which of them would be the controllable header and which would be the one that would follow that controllable header?

I do have a Lamptron FC5v2 and a Sunbeam Rheosmart on hand but I realized that it would be more flexible to use the motherboard headers for automatic control especially for the GPU temps.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 34
Thread Starter 
Bump!
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;15006116 
1.) How were you able to conclude that the 4th pin of CHA_FAN1 is indeed a PWM signal? Many Asus mobo users say otherwise. I'm confiused.

2.) So if CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 are controlled simultaneously, which of them would be the controllable header and which would be the one that would follow that controllable header?

I do have a Lamptron FC5v2 and a Sunbeam Rheosmart on hand but I realized that it would be more flexible to use the motherboard headers for automatic control especially for the GPU temps.

1) I haven't tested it personally, but since you are able to control "Chassis Fan" in AI Suite, then I'd say it's safe to assume that both CHA_FAN1 and 2 are actually PWM, otherwise you cannot control them via software.

2) If you are using AI Suite, you'll have to control both simultaneously as it doesn't give you an option for fan 1 and fan 2, it's just "Chassis Fan". Might be different if you use "SpeedFan" or other software.
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888;15021977 
1) I haven't tested it personally, but since you are able to control "Chassis Fan" in AI Suite, then I'd say it's safe to assume that both CHA_FAN1 and 2 are actually PWM, otherwise you cannot control them via software.

2) If you are using AI Suite, you'll have to control both simultaneously as it doesn't give you an option for fan 1 and fan 2, it's just "Chassis Fan". Might be different if you use "SpeedFan" or other software.

1.) Well, you could also control 3-pin fan headers by voltage right? How did you come up with a conclusion that CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 are actually PWM if that is the case?

2.) Can anyone confirm this with Speedfan? I haven't installed my OS yet so I can't confirm it myself.

Thanks.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 34
CHA_1 and CHA_2 are ran off the same signal. You only get one control for both of those headers. They are NOT PWM either (neither is). The only real PWM header is the CPU_FAN header. The rest of your fan connectors are just +12v and ground.

And you won't be able to adjust them via GPU temps either, only CPU temps.
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 1.35v GA-P67A-UD​7 (rev. 1.​0) Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial MX100 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB) CoolerMaster Liquid Pro 240mm Windows 10 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
(Fut.) Crossover 34" 3440x1440 Curved (Cur.) Dell 20/30/20 PLP Eyefinity Razer Chroma PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 950w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Thermaltake View 27 Snow Edition Logitech G602 Dayton MK402 Dayton DTA-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 1.35v GA-P67A-UD​7 (rev. 1.​0) Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial MX100 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB) CoolerMaster Liquid Pro 240mm Windows 10 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
(Fut.) Crossover 34" 3440x1440 Curved (Cur.) Dell 20/30/20 PLP Eyefinity Razer Chroma PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 950w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Thermaltake View 27 Snow Edition Logitech G602 Dayton MK402 Dayton DTA-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;15022402 
1.) Well, you could also control 3-pin fan headers by voltage right? How did you come up with a conclusion that CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 are actually PWM if that is the case?

2.) Can anyone confirm this with Speedfan? I haven't installed my OS yet so I can't confirm it myself.

Thanks.

You can't control voltage of 3 pin fan headers with software. You need resistors to control voltage. Only PWM can control speed of fans.


Here's SpeedFan:
unledzid.jpg

It shows 3 controllable fans, I'm guessing that's CPU, CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 (I only have my CPU fan header populated).
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888;15022468 
You can't control voltage of 3 pin fan headers with software. You need resistors to control voltage. Only PWM can control speed of fans.


Here's SpeedFan:
unledzid.jpg

It shows 3 controllable fans, I'm guessing that's CPU, CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 (I only have my CPU fan header populated).

I beg to differ. I'm using 3 pin fans RIGHT NOW off CHA_FAN1. 4 fans total. And they all work according to the limits I set in BIOS.

And no, there's not 3 controllable fans, there's only 2. The third could be a GPU fan perhaps? Unless the P8Z68-v Pro is different electrically than my P67 (which its not).
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 1.35v GA-P67A-UD​7 (rev. 1.​0) Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial MX100 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB) CoolerMaster Liquid Pro 240mm Windows 10 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
(Fut.) Crossover 34" 3440x1440 Curved (Cur.) Dell 20/30/20 PLP Eyefinity Razer Chroma PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 950w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Thermaltake View 27 Snow Edition Logitech G602 Dayton MK402 Dayton DTA-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 1.35v GA-P67A-UD​7 (rev. 1.​0) Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire Asus RX 580 8GB Dual Crossfire 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial MX100 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB) CoolerMaster Liquid Pro 240mm Windows 10 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
(Fut.) Crossover 34" 3440x1440 Curved (Cur.) Dell 20/30/20 PLP Eyefinity Razer Chroma PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 950w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Thermaltake View 27 Snow Edition Logitech G602 Dayton MK402 Dayton DTA-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;15022546 
I beg to differ. I'm using 3 pin fans RIGHT NOW off CHA_FAN1. 4 fans total. And they all work according to the limits I set in BIOS.

And no, there's not 3 controllable fans, there's only 2. The third could be a GPU fan perhaps? Unless the P8Z68-v Pro is different electrically than my P67 (which its not).

But being able to control the fans in the BIOS isn't really "software" control confused.gif

You could be right about the only 2 controllable fans showing in SpeedFan, however I don't think the 3rd is GPU because my GPU fan is set to 40% in Afterburner atm and none of those 3 readings are showing 40%.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus P8Z68-V Fan Header and Fan Control Questions