Jumping in here is probably not the smartest move I've made this week, especially since this is post one. But when I did a search for "murderbox MKII," this thread is the most prominent one, and I wanted to see what the reaction is to the new case.
First - I'll state that I am friends with Charles, and have worked with him in the past on his murdermod business - not for financial gain, just helping out a friend. I've had nothing to do with the MKII design or implementation. Just wanted to make a few comments on what I've seen here.
1. The photos aren't photoshopped or highly edited. I'd be willing to bet the system looks even better in real life, cause I know Charles really isn't all that great of a photographer, and certainly isn't a wizard at photo editing
He does have lots of experience taking photos of computer builds, and is a perfectionist at getting the right lighting and setup - no doubt about it. I can see why people might think these photos were photoshopped - I know I had to look closely after my initial scroll through the photos. It's just that clean and monochromatic.
2. MDPC is NOT about the hardware. In fact, the creator of the MDPC Gallery has stated publicly that hardware is not the point. As others have already said - it's about featuring photos of systems that are beautiful examples, and that show an evolution in design and style. We may not agree with the choices, we may not like the potential for aesthetics over performance, but showcasing beautiful PCs is what the MDPC gallery is about.
3. As I understand it, this is a custom build in a prototype of the MKII case. So hardware choices are up to the future buyers of this case.
4. There seems to be a lot of confusion about just what this case is. I'm a bit confused myself, because I keep getting sidetracked looking at the build. So far I can see lots of things I like about the case, and can't wait to see all the details. Charles hasn't shared these details, but he has said more info is coming. So, dang it, I'll just have to be patient. I imagine he'll update the murderbox website when he's ready.
5. As for all the arguments - that's life on forums these days, isn't it? This case will have admirers, and there will be haters. Life would be dull if we all liked the same things.
My compliments to Charles, Callen, and others who have worked so hard on this, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.