Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net BOINC Team › [GUIDE] BOINC on Arch Linux with NVIDIA cards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] BOINC on Arch Linux with NVIDIA cards - Page 3  

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

I certainly had problems with 10.04... the video and Realtek drivers were worse...This is an ongoing problem Ubuntu is aware of... Turning off Unity is easy... no problem there...
smile.gif

I don't use the realtek drivers, but if you're using nVidia just install the nvidia-current driver. If that gives you problems (I've never experienced anything major, though it seems others have) you can install the driver off nvidia's site but then you have to reinstall it with every kernel update. Not a biggie, 5 minutes or so, but still a nuisance. Just make sure you save the downloaded file, it can be a pig to get when your video isn't working.
Yeah, turning off Unity is easy, but that is just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not too happy with the general direction that Ubuntu is heading. Canonical is catering too much to windoz users and I quit using windoz for a reason. I'm happy without it and I don't want to go back in that direction. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I hope I'll recognize it when I see it. wink.gif Other than running BOINC and doing a little bit of programming just so I don't completely forget how, I don't have a real specific use for my computers, though I am hoping they'll help prevent brain rot...
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0nsky View Post

I have never had a problem with lan drivers at all with linux and multiple monitors can be configured with any window manager/ desktop environment that uses the Xwindow system. It takes a little bit of reading and maybe you have to edit 1 or 2 config files. If you cant edit a text file you should RTFM before saying it cannot be possible or that it has problems. You dont need to be a developer to understand how things work and understand how to configure things properly. I mean no offense to you in this post just the way you are talking I get the impression that you are lazy and linux is not for lazy people.

Lazy? RTFM? Everything I said was with regard to my personal experience on 6 systems in this house. I simply stated facts, provable facts. These facts can be demonstrated.

I don't have time nor the inclination to argue with you, simply say I designed and programmed in robotics manufacturing systems for 28 years. I know how to code for Program Logic at the machine code level on many platforms and I'm damn tired of it. I want an OS that does BOINC on headless systems, but also a version that can properly run the 950 box with 4 monitors without causing headaches.

Call me lazy, or stupid, whatever you want. Just because YOU never had the LAN driver problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In point of fact, it does and I tried several versions and tweaks and followed many online "so called non-lazy expert" tutorials to correct the problem with ZERO success.

A recent check shows some progress, but it still doesn't work FOR ME using the guides... guess why? Maybe because Ubuntu is up to 3.0.14 now... it's an ongoing problem for the Sabertooth and other R8111e boards.

http://markmail.org/message/fp75c7nk2ykrcwqq

Try to get your facts straight and not get upset when someone points out obviously proven and tested and verified problems. Also, provide a link to your "SIMPLE EDIT" config files with directions on how to do same.

Also try to loose the "attitude" when you read something you don't like.

biggrin.gif

PS: Google "r8111e ubuntu problem" to get some history...
Edited by Tex1954 - 12/13/11 at 10:54am
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

Lazy? RTFM? Everything I said was with regard to my personal experience on 6 systems in this house. I simply stated facts, provable facts. These facts can be demonstrated.
I don't have time nor the inclination to argue with you, simply say I designed and programmed in robotics manufacturing systems for 28 years. I know how to code for Program Logic at the machine code level on many platforms and I'm damn tired of it. I want an OS that does BOINC on headless systems, but also a version that can properly run the 950 box with 4 monitors without causing headaches.
Call me lazy, or stupid, whatever you want. Just because YOU never had the LAN driver problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In point of fact, it does and I tried several versions and tweaks and followed many online "so called non-lazy expert" tutorials to correct the problem with ZERO success.
A recent check shows some progress, but it still doesn't work FOR ME using the guides... guess why? Maybe because Ubuntu is up to 3.0.14 now... it's an ongoing problem for the Sabertooth and other R8111e boards.
http://markmail.org/message/fp75c7nk2ykrcwqq
Try to get your facts straight and not get upset when someone points out obviously proven and tested and verified problems. Also, provide a link to your "SIMPLE EDIT" config files with directions on how to do same.
Also try to loose the "attitude" when you read something you don't like.
biggrin.gif
PS: Google "r8111e ubuntu problem" to get some history...

It is not that its something I don't like. If there is a known hardware issue for an os that you want to run, why buy the hardware in the first place? Not everything is compatible and apparently there isn't enough people that care about this bug for it to get fixed. By care I mean have the same issue and are fluent in coding drivers. But from what you were posting is that you want someone to do something for you and you dont want to have to edit anything. Most people on ubuntu want everything done for them like windows. Sorry for stereotyping but I can't help it with the way ubuntu's user base has gone more towards people that want there hand held through everything. As I said before I don't want to argue, I just wanted to state my opinion. I am sorry for speaking like I was upset or had an attitude.
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0nsky View Post

It is not that its something I don't like. If there is a known hardware issue for an os that you want to run, why buy the hardware in the first place? Not everything is compatible and apparently there isn't enough people that care about this bug for it to get fixed. By care I mean have the same issue and are fluent in coding drivers. But from what you were posting is that you want someone to do something for you and you dont want to have to edit anything. Most people on ubuntu want everything done for them like windows. Sorry for stereotyping but I can't help it with the way ubuntu's user base has gone more towards people that want there hand held through everything. As I said before I don't want to argue, I just wanted to state my opinion. I am sorry for speaking like I was upset or had an attitude.

Oh? And being a Noob to Linux, how would I have known that the Sabertooth 990X Mobo wouldn't work or have a LAN problem? Now you say I have to buy hardware to conform to Linux... well that is a major reason Ubuntu exists... to bring Linux to the masses. By your own words, it merely takes simple edits of config files...

When you criticize me, you criticize every other person who ever considered using Linux or will consider using it. And, fact is, that attitude is exactly what prevents many from exploring it at the consumer level.

I don't see many folks making Linux specific PC's and staying in business long... do you? Can you provide a single link anywhere where a noob could find out what works and what doesn't? And if Linux needs people who " are fluent in coding drivers", then that eliminates (I would guess) at least 85% of the world population; and 85% of possible users. I suspect the real numbers are more like 99.9%...

In any case, everything I said is true, provable, and factual. Emotional arguments and unsupported comments don't negate what I said or nullify the facts. Writing hardware specific drivers is an art and requires the most intimate hardware knowledge that is often difficult -if not impossible- to find without non-disclosure agreements and corporate level support.

What I sad stands, bad attitude and emotionalizing "simple edits" while providing ZERO specific information to do same is useless posturing.

Show me a procedure on how to edit whatever config files to make things work. Specifically, I need the XFX HD6990 to work with CAL and OpenCL under Ubuntu 11.10 Linux with BOINC with an AMD 955BE CPU on a board that otherwise works with Linux. I've had no luck on that yet... but don't have time to spend many days researching more about it, and in FACT, there is very little info on it as of a couple weeks ago. You are the expert, time to show your power.

rolleyes.gif

PS: Thanks for validating my statements about lack of hardware support with Linux... however, saying we all should be driver level programmers to correct the problem is a bit far fetched... There is a difference between users and developers...
Edited by Tex1954 - 12/13/11 at 11:42am
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

That may be so... never heard of FLuxBox, but will look it up. My problem is Multuple Monitor support with the older drivers. I do not currently have the expertise to compile and correct problems with Linux, nor do I wish to go down that path again. 10.04 didn't work either... but I used the standard stuff. Seems the only way to get upgrades is to also get a kernal upgrade. As I said, I am a user, not a developer.
This is the 21st century... we should have stable GUI interfaces and stop reinventing the wheel every year. If you look at where the major problems are, it's with hardware drivers. Everything else is secondary... hardware evolves much more quickly than anything else and drivers are always behind. The R8111e LAN drivers have been a problem with Ubuntu since 2009 and half the Mobo's out there use it. Sigh... reading the forums and such, it's a lost cause that may accidently get fixed at some point.
Windows is threatening to use the GPU for 3D graphics and that could kill GPU use for BOINC... so far, up to windows 7, we've been able to turn it off for the most part. But, for Linux on the boxes I have, the major problem is overclocking and LAN drivers... for instance no version of Linux runs properly with the Sabertooth 990X board in the 800D system. The workaround was to put a USB WiFI widget for LAN connectivity....
Sigh... there is no standard hardware platform... and no standard drivers. But, windows did it right using DLL's to circumvent many problems (while creating others) that Linux can't use. Sooo, lack of continuous driver support is an ongoing Linux problem. And because all the drivers are compiled against the current Kernal and the current kernal headers, any little glitch or imperfection can cause a problem that requires more intimate Linux knowledge to correct. Like I said, I don't want to be a developer for Linux.
Finally, and this is a BIG DEAL, I see tons of advice on how to do this and that, go use this, compile that... hell, I can barely copy/paste into the terminal window... and as mentioned before, soon as a new Kernal update comes along, everything you did may be broken thereafter. And on top of that, many who say do this and that haven't done it themselves nor can they provide keystroke walkthroughs... just puffing air into the wind helping nobody.
So, I can't just go use Arch and expect it to meet my needs, nor use FluxBox or anything else for that matter... because my desire is folks who already know what's going on to do a better job without having to learn the innards of Linux myself. I can't find 11.04 anymore, don't think it's available, but it was the first and only version that properly supported multiple monitors. So, you can see the problem... too many cooks and not enough standardization... it's a case of pick the poison you can tolerate.
biggrin.gif

I'm going to have to disagree with you about dual monitors. I set up duals on my roommates computer a couple of years ago using 10.04 when it first came out (I may have set them up originally on 9.10). As I remember it was not a big problem, but since he has moved on I can't just go look at the computer to see what I used. My memory is real good but it's short...
To save yourself a lot of hassle with LAN stuff, spend $20.00 and pick up a D-Link DGE-530T card. Works out of the box in every version of Linux I have ever tried. I am using 2 of them and have a spare still in the box in case they quit making them. They've been around since just before dirt and consequently are very inexpensive. Just for your information it uses the sk98lin driver which has been supported since kernel version 2.4.18
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1954 
...
I am seeing more and more your upset about me claiming it is easy to setup dual monitors and buying a 20 dollar lan card. This will be my last post because apparently after programming robots all those years made you not be able to use common sense. All you have done so far is put words in my mouth. I was just telling you there has to be a solution to your problem which has now been posted.
As far as multiple monitors read up on x window server configuration. It is what almost every de/wm uses and has used for years and tons of people run dual monitors with it. Like I said before I cannot help you on the lan issue because I have never had lan issues. I know for "fact" that multiple monitors works, just takes some spare time and reading.

PS - dont take the internet personally. its called opinions and you know what they say about opinions.
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
post #27 of 30
Wifi runs fine for me and it was a $19 Asus USB thing... and Linux picked up on it immediately and runs fine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367152&CatId=2704

Also, have a look at the 950 system in my Sig... it's a 4 monitor setup... Dual always worked properly, but 4 monitors on dual GPU's didn't work until 11.04 came out...

From what I have seen, appears that once a release of Ubuntu is put out, further driver fixes don't happen until a kernal update (if you are lucky). For example, the 6.12.33 BOINC version is still what is in the repository, not the latest 6.12.34 which came out very soon after as a bug correction.

294

biggrin.gif
Edited by Tex1954 - 12/13/11 at 12:27pm
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

Wifi runs fine for me and it was a $19 Asus USB thing... and Linux picked up on it immediately and runs fine. Also, have a look at the 950 system in my Sig... it's a 4 monitor setup... Dual always worked properly, but 4 monitors didn't work until 11.04 came out...
From what I have seen, appears that once a release of Ubuntu is put out, further driver fixes don't happen until a kernal update (if you are lucky). For example, the 6.12.33 BOINC version is still what is in the repository, not the latest which came out very soon after as a bug correction.
294
biggrin.gif

nice setup. best advice I can give you is if it is working and you upgrade and it breaks, then downgrade to where it was working. linux doesnt need the latest updated version of a package to always work. if you tried that im sorry I didn't see you say that.
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
post #29 of 30
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0nsky View Post

nice setup. best advice I can give you is if it is working and you upgrade and it breaks, then downgrade to where it was working. linux doesnt need the latest updated version of a package to always work. if you tried that im sorry I didn't see you say that.

I tried that... didn't work or I messed up. I've tried many things, including uninstalling Unity without long term success. However, I did discover the best thing to do with Ubuntu on my systems was leave things as they are but added the Gnome desktop option I like...

"sudo apt-get gnome-session-fallback"

Then on Login, I simply select Gnome Classic (no effects) and everything works fine the way I like. Then I dump the bottom panel, move top to bottom and away I go... This has been 100% stable so far and the only method that has survived every update since...

biggrin.gif

338
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net BOINC Team
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net BOINC Team › [GUIDE] BOINC on Arch Linux with NVIDIA cards