Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Thinking of changing my GTX 590
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of changing my GTX 590

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
My GTX 590 does not seem to be all that powerful. I was getting around 30fps on ULTRA on the BF3 Beta.

So i was thinking of getting two GTX 580's in SLI.

This would be an improvement would it not?

But i have no idea which 580's to pick. I was thinking of going with the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 when it is released.

Or is there a better alternative to SLI 580's?

Im from Australia, so if you guys could help me find the best ones to pick and also i need to know if there would be any conflicts with my current gear.

Cheers OCN'ers
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 21
I get in the 40s on Ultra @ 1080P w/ 4xAA and 16x AF on the BETA. Make sure you're using the BF3 Beta drivers from nVidia, or the latest stable release.
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I get in the 40s on Ultra @ 1080P w/ 4xAA and 16x AF on the BETA. Make sure you're using the BF3 Beta drivers from nVidia, or the latest stable release.
Im using the latest beta driver from nvidia.

I just find that the GTX 590 isn't worth it, performance wise.

I have a Palit version btw.
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1eutenant View Post
Im using the latest beta driver from nvidia.

I just find that the GTX 590 isn't worth it, performance wise.

I have a Palit version btw.
Probably a VRAM issue. 590 only has 1.5, and u'd need more than that for ur resolution. OR, it's JUST ur resolution and that's all 590s can do... Idk, cause i haven't checked the benches yet >_<
huh?
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8, 1.29v asrock extreme 6 giga 6990 g.skill 8gb 1600 cas 8 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
3tb in raid 0 and others 27inch 1440p ips led das 1000w 
Case
haf x nvidia 
  hide details  
Reply
huh?
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8, 1.29v asrock extreme 6 giga 6990 g.skill 8gb 1600 cas 8 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
3tb in raid 0 and others 27inch 1440p ips led das 1000w 
Case
haf x nvidia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangers_low View Post
Probably a VRAM issue. 590 only has 1.5, and u'd need more than that for ur resolution. OR, it's JUST ur resolution and that's all 590s can do... Idk, cause i haven't checked the benches yet >_<
Im only running one screen at 1920 x 1080 for the game, then two screens either side showing steam and teamspeak.

Does playing on 1 screen but having two extra effect performance?

And i thought the 590 has 3Gb over 2 GPU's? Does BF3 Beta not use both GTX590 A and B?
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1eutenant View Post
Im only running one screen at 1920 x 1080 for the game, then two screens either side showing steam and teamspeak.

Does playing on 1 screen but having two extra effect performance?

And i thought the 590 has 3Gb over 2 GPU's? Does BF3 Beta not use both GTX590 A and B?
SLI and crossfire NEVER have worked like that. The framebuffers must be mirrored for each GPU. So you only have 1.5GB useable. Also, it seems like it's only using 1 GPU considering the framerate you're getting. IIRC MSI afterburner OSD can show GPU usage per core, so try installing that and turning on the OSD so you can see if it's loading both, or just one GPU.

2 GTX 580 3GB cards would def. be an improvement, but a HUGE investment. Even going to 2x 6970s might see you an improvement, but again, big investment.
post #7 of 21
Hmm, I don't know why ur getting bad fps with that gpu if ur only on 1080p... I think even a single 580/6970 can pretty much max this game atm
huh?
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8, 1.29v asrock extreme 6 giga 6990 g.skill 8gb 1600 cas 8 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
3tb in raid 0 and others 27inch 1440p ips led das 1000w 
Case
haf x nvidia 
  hide details  
Reply
huh?
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8, 1.29v asrock extreme 6 giga 6990 g.skill 8gb 1600 cas 8 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
3tb in raid 0 and others 27inch 1440p ips led das 1000w 
Case
haf x nvidia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangers_low View Post
Hmm, I don't know why ur getting bad fps with that gpu if ur only on 1080p... I think even a single 580/6970 can pretty much max this game atm
Yeah. It'll be different in the release version due to full DX11 and tessellation being implemented. I do agree, and think there's definitely something wrong here, and not just his card not being a top performer.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
SLI and crossfire NEVER have worked like that. The framebuffers must be mirrored for each GPU. So you only have 1.5GB useable. Also, it seems like it's only using 1 GPU considering the framerate you're getting. IIRC MSI afterburner OSD can show GPU usage per core, so try installing that and turning on the OSD so you can see if it's loading both, or just one GPU.

2 GTX 580 3GB cards would def. be an improvement, but a HUGE investment. Even going to 2x 6970s might see you an improvement, but again, big investment.
I think when i get home i will try disabling all screens bar one and see if anything improves.

Im also sure its set to use both GPU's but i will double check.

Buying two 580's isn't a huge issue cost wise as i hope i would be able to sell my GTX 590 for at least 500-600 AUD. Or am i dreaming?

Computer is only 5-6 months old now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Yeah. It'll be different in the release version due to full DX11 and tessellation being implemented. I do agree, and think there's definitely something wrong here, and not just his card not being a top performer.
This is what i keep thinking but i can't seem to find the issue... its really starting to annoy me..
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
First PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-970 3.20 GHz CPU MSI X58A-GD45 nVidia GeForce GTX 590 6 Gig G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Drive 2 x LG DVD/CD Burner 22 Speed Windows 7 Premium 64bit 3x 24'' LED BenQ GL2440HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Gigabyte 1200W ODIN PRO Power HAF X Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck+ Gaming Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 21
You really should be getting higher than that... is your performance similar to that in other games? Because the performance you get now is closer to a single 580.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Thinking of changing my GTX 590