Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Anyone besides me, NOT like modern combat games?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone besides me, NOT like modern combat games? - Page 6

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdman74 View Post
thats exactly what I was suggesting. I mean anybody here remember playing Battlefield: Allied Assault? How about Call of Duty 2? Its been over 10 years of these mainstream war fps games, Every year its COD, Halo, Now BF and Crysis, this and that, its FPS everything, I think its about they stopped and did something different for a change. You know, more games like Witcher and Batman AA, Hitman, AC, Sam Fisher, LA Noire, The original Mafia. Games like that. COD was fun while it lasted, but COD 4 was still the last great COD Game. Evey thing after that...meh..multiplayer + kids....meh..

No more FPS and War Games.
guess we rlly cant complain though. skyrim is easily going to take up 200+ hours of my life between side/main quests, batman AC will be fun since i have to go back and actually beat AA, and deus ex did just pop too. we need something like gauntlet legends + elder scrolls lol
Rising Sun
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
|i5 2500k 4.8ghz @1.335v| |Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Professional| |XFX 6990| |XFX 6950 unlocked to 6970| 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
|Samsung DDR3 4x4GB 2133 10-10-10-28-1t| |Crucial 64GB M4 SSD x 2| |Samsung 830 128GB| |Lite-On 4x Blu Ray| 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
|Koolance CPU 370| |Koolance VID-AR699| |Koolance VID-AR697| |Win 7 64bit Pro| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|U2711| |2x KBC Pokers MX Red| |Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w| |NZXT Phantom 820| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Mionix Naos 5000| |Artisan Hien M Hard Red| |X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium| 
  hide details  
Reply
Rising Sun
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
|i5 2500k 4.8ghz @1.335v| |Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Professional| |XFX 6990| |XFX 6950 unlocked to 6970| 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
|Samsung DDR3 4x4GB 2133 10-10-10-28-1t| |Crucial 64GB M4 SSD x 2| |Samsung 830 128GB| |Lite-On 4x Blu Ray| 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
|Koolance CPU 370| |Koolance VID-AR699| |Koolance VID-AR697| |Win 7 64bit Pro| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|U2711| |2x KBC Pokers MX Red| |Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w| |NZXT Phantom 820| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Mionix Naos 5000| |Artisan Hien M Hard Red| |X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
A more simplified, better balanced, well thought out and ENJOYABLE game is a problem? Allrighty then...
Well, BF3 is (relatively) balanced, the problem is you must exercise extreme patience in the game, which many find absolutely boring. I can go 5, 6 minutes without seeing anyone. And when I do, it's a race to go prone. Or I can just sit prone somewhere as a sniper, and as long as I don't hold down the zoom lens, I can pick up 5+ kills before they get wise or overwhelm me with numbers.

I don't think the problem is modern warfare shooters, I think the problem is the boring, slow burn gameplay.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASUS z170-e EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32 GB  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 m2.a SSD  Windows 10 Acer Predator xb271hu Corsair 850ax 
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdman74 View Post
Same story here, I used to like them back in the delta force / CS days, and up till about 5 years ago. Looks like the modern FPS genre is one that only attracts teenagers with bad skills and even worse mouths.




Anybody want to Start a Club?

O.A.O.H. - F.P.S.
(Overclockers Against Over Hyped First Person Shooters)

we dont hate FPS games, just the cash cow it has evolved into..
Oh Delta Force yea!!! I remember playing the first few DF games on my old Intel 667MHz Pentium 3 rig.

Sounds like a good club to me.
post #54 of 66
Thread Starter 
I'm gonna eat my own words and eat a huge slice of humble pie, so enjoy it while it lasts...

Amazingly, EA musta fixed something cause now I can actually play the beta on my new rig below. Played it and its not as bad as I thought it was, its crap loads better playing it on my new PC then downstairs on the 360, I can actually find and shoot people!

Even with game at full crank ultra settings with no AA, it runs pretty dang smooth. Dunno, might have to play this more before I make a total judgment call on wether or not to pick this up and bad mouth it more.

Its definently a learning curve, I just can't go running around guns blazing in this game like I can in so many others like BF1942, dunno if I can get used to that. I really wanna drive some vehicles....






Edited by 1ceTr0n - 10/3/11 at 11:53am
"Night Fire"
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z eVGA GTX 570 Superclocked @ 850/1700/1990 G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black 640 AALS Intel 520 Cherryville SSD 120gig *Thanks OCN!* Asus DRW-2014L1T Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Viewsonic VX2025WM Saitek II Antec TruePower New 550w Antec mini P-180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Mx518 IceMat X-Fi Titanium w/PAX drivers 
  hide details  
Reply
"Night Fire"
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z eVGA GTX 570 Superclocked @ 850/1700/1990 G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black 640 AALS Intel 520 Cherryville SSD 120gig *Thanks OCN!* Asus DRW-2014L1T Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Viewsonic VX2025WM Saitek II Antec TruePower New 550w Antec mini P-180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Mx518 IceMat X-Fi Titanium w/PAX drivers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
I'm gonna eat my own words and eat a huge slice of humble pie, so enjoy it while it lasts...
Bah! Don't give in!

I too am weary of the genre. I've always enjoyed FPS games but it's getting more and more frustrating to stay with the new titles. Maybe I'm just getting too old to compete with the whipper-snappers. (and I guess my eyes are starting to go bad because I remember games from ten years ago with more color than the 6 shades of green I see in BF3).

Definitely more excited about the games without iron-sites coming out soon. I feel still obliged to pick up the shooters, but my heart just isn't in it anymore.
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 66
i personally want a good sci-fi fps to play. Or just a good sci-fi game in general.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

And don't even get me started on that horrid game that is Counter Strike...
I was with everything you said until that. I read most of the thread but I don't think you said why you hate it. It's the exact opposite of the modern FPS games you hate today. I love 1.6 and hate Source but they're both far better than any modern FPS game.

Bought MW2 when it came out because a bunch of my friends pressured me to get it. Worst $60 I have ever spent in video games. The singleplayer was fun but I just hate that level up system and perks in multiplayer.

I actually never played Quake until this year and I'm having a blast with it even though I suck balls.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 GTX 465 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Power
Cool Master RS-600-ASAA 600w 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 GTX 465 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Power
Cool Master RS-600-ASAA 600w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post
So first, there are other genres if you hate modern combat so much. There's no need to complain, just find a game you like. Red Orchestra 2 anyone? It's WW2-themed and only a month old. Heard from a friend that it's pretty good. And BF1942? Can still be played. It's not gone just because a new game came out. I still played COD4 after MW2 came out because it was is a better game.

That said, yes, there is an abundance of modern warfare shooters, some more mindless than others (see MW3). Why? It sells well. Really well. BC2 sold 9.5 million copies, BF3 already sold 1.5 million copies. Extremely high numbers. People buy these games because they think they're entertaining and good (some are, some aren't), so why would a developer change that? Really, the majority of the 10 million people who bought BC2 are happy about their purchase and some have put hundreds and hundreds of ours into them. By saying "HERP DERP, modern warfare games are the suxorz, make something like back in the day," you suggest that developers stop making what millions of people of what they consider great games. How selfish is that?

And you know what? People hate WW2 games. People who played them for hours on end can't stand those games. This is just a new theme which will die out in 5 years. Then we'll get something else, people will praise it, get sick of it, new theme. Rinse and repeat.

There's also the fact that a lot of complaints and opinions today come from other people. With the internet, we get all the info about the decisions devs are making, what MP features they'll have and what other people think should and shouldn't be in a game. Back in the day, you had none of that. You had the occasional interview in some magazine where the devs talked about all the cool stuff. And then you got it and you had only a small idea of what it was like, 'cause you hadn't watched 10 hours of live streams from the latest big gaming conference. Then there's the DRM, hacks and MP features. It simply wasn't important because people bought their games for the SP.

Another thing: as people before me have said, a lot of older games sucked, but they were the best of their time. I dare you to go find one of your really old 90's games, play them and say that it was as good as you remember it. Be objective, don't let the nostalgia twist your opinion. I've tried this before and some games suck. There are true gems (SC, D1 & D2, BF1942, Dink Smallwood, C&C), but there's also a lot of boring crap (SC, C&C). These games are only good if you're reliving a memory from your past. A modern reviewer or gamer who hasn't played these games before will likely say that most of them are mediocre at best, especially a teen who started gaming in the new console era and who's accustomed to big guns and ridiculous killstreaks.

And no offense, but if you're spending so much time getting raped and losing, maybe you just suck.

I'm sorry, but I can't and won't get angry because of a game. People who whine and whine without thinking first OTOH...

Let the flaming commence.
Thats not the point we are trying to make, what we are all saying is that we have been playing too many FPS games centered around warfare. Its been 10 years and we are tired of the entire "warefare FPS" genre. Just because something is successful doesn't make it a good thing. But console kiddies and supporters like you seem to think otherwise with their godly "skills". Your analysis is very wrong of dragging HL2 into all this.

And you say you also never played HL or HL2? ... and to call your self a gamer..meh..that explains a lot of your views. The modern version of FPS games centering WAR doesn't impress me. And as for being butt hurt and trying to start a flame war, look below for a great answer...

VVVVVVVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
Believe you me, I would MUCH rather play BF1942 until the end of my days then spend one more minute playing this rehashed ADD developed teen clusterbang crap that my beloved BF series has turned into.

God damn you EA and Dice....damn you

And no, the Half Life series isn't even the same genre as modern warefare FPS, dunno why you felt the desire to twist my words like that Biohazard. I may dislike CS for my very reason, but Half Life is a God amongst all other games, let alone FPS. Well, the first one was anyway....

So sorry *not really* that you found it offense I have a naturally occuring opinin on things, especially on what games I like and do like to play after being a gamer most of my life, the ADD frenzied modern combat cluster gang bang that everyone is hyped up about with the modern versions of BF and COH doesn't do anything for this older 30 year old gamer. Maybe if I was a tween again and didn't know any better....

Perhaps some cream for your butthurt?

Edited by TheBirdman74 - 10/4/11 at 12:09am
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdman74 View Post
Thats not the point we are trying to make, what we are all saying is that we have been playing too many FPS games centered around warfare. Its been 10 years and we are tired of the entire "warefare FPS" genre. Just because something is successful doesn't make it a good thing. But console kiddies and supporters like you seem to think otherwise with their godly "skills". Your analysis is very wrong of dragging HL2 into all this.

And you say you also never played HL or HL2? ... and to call your self a gamer..meh..that explains a lot of your views. The modern version of FPS games centering WAR doesn't impress me. And as for being butt hurt and trying to start a flame war, look below for a great answer...
Do tell me where I mentioned HL or HL2. Just put it in bold. I'm waiting.

Until you do, I'll assume that you only read the response to my post and not my actual post. And you obviously didn't read my response to the post you're quoting, 'cause I also said that I didn't mention HL in that post.

And you think I'm not a gamer because I haven't played HL? I can see how that totally makes sense, dawg, can't be a gamer if I only played BF1942, BF2, SC and C&C in my childhood. Again, laughable.

And just because you ask me to say this, yes, I probably can beat you in any FPS game.
Edited by B!0HaZard - 10/4/11 at 12:20am
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 66
I'm a big fan of WWII shooters and Sci-Fi shooters. The modern shooters really don't grab my attention so I pass on them. I played through the first three COD for the ps2 and now getting through COD 1 & 2 on pc. Can't wait to order COD #3 for pc (WAW)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Anyone besides me, NOT like modern combat games?