Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › dumb question..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

dumb question..

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to go with a pair of AD700's and the Titanium HD; however I have a dumb question pertaining to my current set up.

I have the X-Fi Xtremegamer and a pair of USB headphones, plugged into obviously USB on the front of the case.

This NEVER crossed my mind, but am I using onboard sound for the headset since it's going through USB?

I don't have any case cables plugged into the sound card at all.
post #2 of 6
You're not using the sound card at all. The USB headset is using it's own DAC built in which is VERY low quality. You're not getting any use of your sound card at the moment unless you start plugging into the sound card.

The AD700s+TiHD sounds like a nice fit for you though.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
You're not using the sound card at all. The USB headset is using it's own DAC built in which is VERY low quality. You're not getting any use of your sound card at the moment unless you start plugging into the sound card.

The AD700s+TiHD sounds like a nice fit for you though.
Man. These headphones suck so bad I don't think it matters lol. But that confirms my recent suspicion..

But yeah I have been doing a ton of reading about the HD and the AD700's so I think that's the perfect route for me. I was considering AD900's for a minute but decided not to.
post #4 of 6
the AD700 is the way to go. just got a pair myself!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 MSI NGTX580 Lightning G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600MHz 8GB CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB| Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung S23A950D Filco Majestouch 2 87-key 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 860 Antec Eleven Hundred Razer Deathadder Black Edition Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K Asus P8P67 MSI NGTX580 Lightning G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600MHz 8GB CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 128GB| Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung S23A950D Filco Majestouch 2 87-key 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 860 Antec Eleven Hundred Razer Deathadder Black Edition Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty288 View Post
I have the X-Fi Xtremegamer and a pair of USB headphones, plugged into obviously USB on the front of the case.

This NEVER crossed my mind, but am I using onboard sound for the headset since it's going through USB?
And I bet you were either raving about the better sound quality you get with the X-Fi (you thought you were using the dedicated card), or complaining about the quality of the X-Fi (because you were actually using onboard audio the entire time).
Edited by jlells01 - 10/4/11 at 2:40pm
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlells01 View Post
And I bet you were either raving about the better sound quality you get with the X-Fi (you thought you were using the dedicated card), or complaining about the quality of the X-Fi (because you were actually using onboard audio the entire time).

Nah i've had the X-Fi for years I just never used a headset until I started sharing an apt with roomates.

But I probably wouldn't notice anyways
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › dumb question..