Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[NW] Apple calls out Microsoft for slow adoption of Windows 7, slants the facts

7K views 142 replies 94 participants last post by  HowHardCanItBe 
#1 ·
Quote:

During Apple's keynote event, the newly minted CEO, Tim Cook, took no time in slinging mud over towards the Microsoft camp. In describing the download rate for Lion, he called out Microsoft because Lion is having a faster adoption rate than Windows 7.

Read.

#4 ·
Windows 7 is only moving slowly because XP still works perfectly for 95% of users. In my eyes the only real difference between what I can do with 7 vs XP is DX11.

That and mac customers have a tendency to buy whatever is the newest thing out from Apple.

#8 ·
Well, lets see:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9
Sept. 2011 market shares:
Windows: 86.57%
Mac: 6%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
Wiki says:
Windows: 82%
Mac: 7%

Of that, Windows 7 makes up 32% of users - basically 1 in 3 computers use Windows 7 - just ONE version of windows - XP makes up 35%, which is MORE than 7. So basically, even if apple magically got 100% of apple users to use Lion, they would still make up only around 1/5th those of JUST the windows 7 users.

So basically, screw apple.

Windows 7 makes up

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52;15176217
Well, lets see:

Wiki says:

Of that, Windows 7 makes up 32% of users - basically 1 in 3 computers use Windows 7 - just ONE version of windows - XP makes up 35%, which is MORE than 7. So basically, even if apple magically got 100% of apple users to use Lion, they would still make up only around 1/5th those of JUST the windows 7 users.

Windows 7 makes up
Repped

#11 ·
One using his common sense can clearly see that the OS with the less users is easier to spread to them than an OS with much more user base.

They need to show numbers. IF Lion for example was now used by 100k people while W7 90k then yes he has a point. If Lion is at 100k and that is 80% adoption rate and W7 is at 200k and is only 30% adoption rate, then thats logical, doesnt mean Lion is better than W7.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52;15176217
Well, lets see:

Wiki says:

Windows 7 makes up
+1. lol. Also, mac users tend to buy everything new from apple whereas PC users tend to be more content with "Does it do what I want it to? Then there's no point in upgrading"

(-note, my opinion

• Rep+
Reactions: Stensby
#14 ·
Apple really got a lot of nerve......i've been using SL for almost a year, and it is one of the most irritating OSes that i've ever used
rolleyes.gif
......i really don't see ANY reason why someone would go from 7 to Lion......not unless they have Mac?!.......so if the so called "addoption rate" is based on the people upgrading from SL to Lion vs XP/Vista to 7, then whoever came up with this study is an idiot:cool:

#16 ·
checked out the live blog, added voice search, 8mp camera, and some new revolutionized antenna band. -.- apple -.-.

where's the innovation the apple brand used to stand for?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklimitless;15176392
+1. lol. Also, mac users tend to buy everything new from apple whereas PC users tend to be more content with "Does it do what I want it to? Then there's no point in upgrading"

(-note, my opinion
Well then you're wrong. Saying it's your opinion isn't even relevant.
If I say "I think cats have three legs, but that's my opinion" it doesn't change the fact that I'm wrong. Opinions are valid when talking about something subjective, like a game's quality. Exposing what you think is a fact and saying it's your opinion doesn't make sense.

And you should stop considering Apple users as brainless people. They're just looking for something different.

Some people here will buy every new top graphic card when it comes out, and people don't judge them.

#18 ·
i noticed it as well - the windows install base is far larger than the apple one so it'll take way more time to percolate

and as someone else said XP still works fine for most uses, so.

#19 ·
Why would you believe any rivals statistics, let alone Apple. I don't like Apples approach to things like this, they seem so arrogant and manipulative. I just remember watching a video of Gates and Jobs, Gates was acting very mature while Jobs was being extremely passive aggressive.

#21 ·
The only difference is that MS doesn't charge for service packs and tends to make large changes from OS to OS.

No sense even evaluating this claim because you know Apple has pulled all the strings, tied them back together and made it reality in their audiences and own heads.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;15176229
I think the biggest difference is MS didn't charge anyone for Windows 7 SP1.
lmao, I see what you did there!
lachen.gif

#23 ·
Actually... a big reason is that Windows is very common in the corporate environments while OSX is not. Corporations do not just update their OSes. My company is in the process of moving to W7 but it takes about a year for validation and few more months for rollout. Since Windows marketshare is so high in a slow to update world, it is no surprise that adoption rate is relatively slow.

Get OSX in more corporate environments and see how slow the adoption rate is.

#24 ·
Oh... statistics, what can one say about this marvelous subject ?

Like San Antonio humorist Brent Barry once said:
Quote:
Statistics are like bikinis, they're nice to look at but they don't tell you the whole story.
Or Aaron Levenstein:
Quote:
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.
Or Mark Twain:
Quote:
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess94;15177209
Market share as of Sept 2011:

Source: http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Code:

Code:
92.44% Windows
 6.45% Mac
 1.11% Linux
*Numbers scaled to exclude cellphone OS's
They used the same tactics when showing the market share of iOS vs Android in the iphone 5 keynote. Looking at it, you would think that the iphone is number one in mobile phones:

iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1233.jpg

but what they glaze over is that they count ipods as iOS. So ipods, iphones, and ipads add up to more iOS usage than Android phones and tablets.....duh.

When you take just phones into account, Android has 48% of the market to Apple's 28%

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.