Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › I'm upgrading cause I fried my mobo, but should I get a new CPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm upgrading cause I fried my mobo, but should I get a new CPU?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Okay, long story short, I am a dumbass and ruined my mobo. I have decided to build a completely new rig because I am tired of dealing with Micro ATX, and the rest of my system could go for an upgrade. The problem is, I have a i7-920 that has been moderately overclocked (between 3.7-4.0GHz, but mostly at 3.7) for a couple years and don't know if I should buy a 1366 mobo when I build my new rig, keeping the i7-920 for a while before having the upgrade both the CPU and mobo again, or give into temptation and upgrade.

When I put together my new system, should I start from scratch (salvaging my HDs ect.) or should I go with the 1155/AM3+ socket and get a new toy to overclock? For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming that Bulldozer will be at least comparable to the i5-2500K.

EDIT:
Okay, I guess there is more to say about this. The computer was a competition/benchmarking piece my friend gave to me when he moved away to another state. I had built a few of my own, very simple, PCs in the past, but nothing like this. It's a watercooled-MicroATX build and is WAY beyond my ability to rebuild. I won't be able to reproduce the watercooling in a new system, so I will not be able to overclock the i7-920 nearly as far as it was pushed on the 212+ I'm planning on getting. I might bet a bit pricier heatsink if I really get into OCing.

If I will not be able to OC the i7 as I once was able, is it still worth it to stick with it?
Edited by zackadavis - 10/4/11 at 10:17pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
1. You should never assume anything AMD will be = to Intel, don't assume at all, just go with the facts of what is fast now
2. 1366 is a very viable platform for performance now. If your chip clocks to 4.1Ghz with stability, i'd say keep it and save the money you would have spent and invest it into some other area in your rig.

GL and welcome to OCN since this is your first post
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
I say this could go either way. Do you mind spending the extra money on a new CPU? If not, go ahead and get something new, but wait until Bulldozer comes out to see if prices drop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post
1. You should never assume anything AMD will be = to Intel, don't assume at all, just go with the facts of what is fast now
2. 1366 is a very viable platform for performance now. If your chip clocks to 4.1Ghz with stability, i'd say keep it and save the money you would have spent and invest it into some other area in your rig.

GL and welcome to OCN since this is your first post
If he fried his mobo, there is a chance that he fried his CPU. Something else to take into consideration.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the welcome Apple!

I'm truly not opposed to spending the extra $200 to guarantee a pretty solid future-proof rig.

Okay, I guess there is more to say about this. The computer was a competition/benchmarking piece my friend gave to me when he moved away to another state. I had built a few of my own, very simple, PCs in the past, but nothing like this. It's a watercooled-MicroATX build and is WAY beyond my ability to rebuild. I won't be able to reproduce the watercooling in a new system, so I will not be able to overclock the i7-920 nearly as far as it was pushed on the 212+ I'm planning on getting. I might bet a bit pricier heatsink if I really get into OCing.

If I will not be able to OC the i7 as I once was able, is it still worth it to stick with it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackadavis View Post
Thanks for the welcome Apple!

I'm truly not opposed to spending the extra $200 to guarantee a pretty solid future-proof rig.

Okay, I guess there is more to say about this. The computer was a competition/benchmarking piece my friend gave to me when he moved away to another state. I had built a few of my own, very simple, PCs in the past, but nothing like this. It's a watercooled-MicroATX build and is WAY beyond my ability to rebuild. I won't be able to reproduce the watercooling in a new system, so I will not be able to overclock the i7-920 nearly as far as it was pushed on the 212+ I'm planning on getting. I might bet a bit pricier heatsink if I really get into OCing.

If I will not be able to OC the i7 as I once was able, is it still worth it to stick with it?
In this case, I would say no, get the new CPU. Learn, have fun, ask questions here before, during and after! Good Luck with the build and in your future overclocks.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thank you water man!

Yeah, I felt like starting fresh was a good idea, but I think talking to some people who are actually knowledgeable on the subject-and hopefully walk me through my new build -is what I needed.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
If you are sure your 920 is still good I don's see why you would want to upgrade your cpu. Your planning on going to a 2500k? I don't think the difference in performance is worth the $170+ for a new processor. Can't you just learn how to overclock with your 920? That way if something goes really wrong(unlikely) you aren't out for a new proc. Just my opinion I can understand wanting to upgrade but your not going to see a performance increase here, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting to 3.7 ghz or above on a 920.
Edited by ks1 - 10/4/11 at 6:04pm
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Well, I really don't know if my 920 is still good is the problem and don't know if it's worth it to buy an enthusiast priced 1366 mobo to check.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) MSI 6970 Lightning 8GB Corsair 1600 LP 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2 750GB Caviar Black 22" Asus 850W Sparkle Gold Class NZXT Phantom White 
MouseMouse Pad
SteelSeries Ikari SteelSeries9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
If you don't have a friend locally that has a 1366 setup you could always have someone at ocn test it for you. I'd be happy to as long as you pay for shipping. Alternately maybe someone on ocn is in your area and would let you stop by and test out your processor. I understand not wanting to base your system off of a faulty cpu but you should test it before blowing the money on a cpu/mobo/memory combo!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1 View Post
If you don't have a friend locally that has a 1366 setup you could always have someone at ocn test it for you. I'd be happy to as long as you pay for shipping. Alternately maybe someone on ocn is in your area and would let you stop by and test out your processor. I understand not wanting to base your system off of a faulty cpu but you should test it before blowing the money on a cpu/mobo/memory combo!
But he isn't blowing it, he would be using it and learning how to overclock on something he knows isn't faulty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › I'm upgrading cause I fried my mobo, but should I get a new CPU?