Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Starcraft 2 FPS Issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Starcraft 2 FPS Issues

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I've been having some frame rate issues with SC2 and can't seem to figure out the problem and hoping that ya'll would be able to help. These problems do not occur in other games such as Dead Island, DiRT3, and WoW. I feel like my rig is more than enough to run SC2 on ultra graphics settings.

My setup:

EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard
i7-950 overclocked to 4022 MHz
3x 2Gb GSkill DDR3 1600 (not overclocked)
MSI Radeon HD6970 2GB (not overclocked)
Win 7 Pro 64bit on 64gb SSD SATA III (SC2 installed on 1TB SATA III drive)
SC2 Graphics on Ultra (max setting)

Now I have avidly kept an eye on my temperatures while playing SC2 for both my processor and my graphics card, as my system is air cooled (NZXT Phantom case) and I know that the HD6900 series can run hot. My processor rarely exceeds 65C and max it has ever reached was 71C (cold house, all fan slots used ) and I'm able to keep my GPU at about 50-60C by manually controlling the fan speed.

I'm not able to reproduce the fps issues in single player, even tried spawning as many zerglings as possible and setting them + all my other units running around/patrolling on my screen to stress it. My cable internet speeds shouldn't be a problem either, 20mb speed that tests ~23-25mb through speakeasy.

What I've done:
- Monitored temperatures
- While playing I've minimized to check background processes cpu/memory usage and can't find anything stressing. Memory usage usually hits about 2.5-3Gb max. I've exited my antivirus (ESET Smart Security) thinking that maybe it was scanning files in the background, as well as few other miscellaneous bg programs.
- Changed graphics settings in game to lowest setting and changed resolution settings around.
- Checked for latest drivers for several components of my pc.
- Recently formatted and experienced these issues beforehand.


Next on my list:
- Running some memory tests
- Down clock my processor? (though it's not hitting extreme temperatures?)

After that.. I'm sorta stuck on what else I could do to find the bottle neck?
post #2 of 5
Down clocking your CPU would probably lower FPS because SC2 is a very CPU intense game. Try lowering your settings, but i doubt that's the problem. I have a 5770 right now after my 6970 fried and I'm getting 60-70FPS. I also run ESET and it runs 24/7. If settings don't help, try memtest+ for around 4-6 hours and see if any errors come up. Also I run mine on extreme. So you shouldn't have a problem.

i7 930 @ 4.4GHz
Star
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.4GHz 1.392vcore P6X58D-e XFX Radeon 5870 Corsair 6GB 3x2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Crucial M4 128GB Win7 Dell LED 24in Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650W Corsair 650D Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
Star
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.4GHz 1.392vcore P6X58D-e XFX Radeon 5870 Corsair 6GB 3x2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Crucial M4 128GB Win7 Dell LED 24in Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650W Corsair 650D Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
Down clocking your CPU would probably lower FPS because SC2 is a very CPU intense game. Try lowering your settings, but i doubt that's the problem. I have a 5770 right now after my 6970 fried and I'm getting 60-70FPS. I also run ESET and it runs 24/7. If settings don't help, try memtest+ for around 4-6 hours and see if any errors come up. Also I run mine on extreme. So you shouldn't have a problem.

i7 930 @ 4.4GHz
Yeah, I figured lowering the clock would only decrease performance, but was thinking maybe the temperatures were the problem, though they aren't high. I'll let the memtest run over night while I sleep and see if anything comes up.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'm not able to reproduce the fps issues in single player
if the problem isn't happening in single player, then it is most likely your connection to the other players. just because you have good download speeds, doesn't mean your connection to players around the country is good..

how are you monitoring your fps? with the "ctrl+alt+F" ???

or are you using fraps or some other form of fps monitor?

if i notice what seems like a fps drop, i like to see if it is dropping... most of the time it is just internet lag (the fps stays high, but is still sketchy gameplay)
1 of Many
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz BIOSTAR TP67XE EVGA GTX680 2GB 2x 4GB Rip Jaws @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500gb SSD & 1tb WD Black & 3tb WD Green ASUS dvd & ASUS BR Corsair H60 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 23" 3D 120hz & ACER 23" LED 120hz Ducky Shine 3 Corsair HX750 CM Scout 
Mouse
Razer Ourobos 
  hide details  
Reply
1 of Many
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz BIOSTAR TP67XE EVGA GTX680 2GB 2x 4GB Rip Jaws @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500gb SSD & 1tb WD Black & 3tb WD Green ASUS dvd & ASUS BR Corsair H60 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 23" 3D 120hz & ACER 23" LED 120hz Ducky Shine 3 Corsair HX750 CM Scout 
Mouse
Razer Ourobos 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepin View Post
if the problem isn't happening in single player, then it is most likely your connection to the other players. just because you have good download speeds, doesn't mean your connection to players around the country is good..

how are you monitoring your fps? with the "ctrl+alt+F" ???

or are you using fraps or some other form of fps monitor?

if i notice what seems like a fps drop, i like to see if it is dropping... most of the time it is just internet lag (the fps stays high, but is still sketchy gameplay)
I haven't been monitoring the fps by number, but the lag/choppiness of the game that occurs is just beyond ridiculous. I understand that other players and my connection to them would cause some issues, but I feel like this is too significant to be that. I will also don't see any of the "xxxxxx is slowing down the game" messages that appear when something like that occurs.

Eitherway, I've got Memtest running at the moment, but will get the actual fps numbers and make a fraps video to upload and link to here tomorrow.
Edited by dubfish - 10/4/11 at 9:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Starcraft 2 FPS Issues