Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Reuters] Apple stumble seen opening door for rivals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Reuters] Apple stumble seen opening door for rivals - Page 11

post #101 of 140
Can't see Apple doing so well after the death of their founder. I mean he made Apple what it is today. If they're going to compete on foreign markets, they better not be bringing up trouble over there or lose their potential customer base fast.
i7 newbie rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 at 4.2GHz ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution EVGA GTX 275 1792MB G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-21 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB + 60GB OCZ Vertex 2E SSD HP Lightscribe dvd1170i Megahelms with 2 S-Flex 'G' fans Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung T260HD Steelseries 6Gv2 NZXT Hale90 850w Cooler Master ATCS 840 Silver 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone [+] Artisan Shiden KAI Asus Xonar Xense 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 newbie rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 at 4.2GHz ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution EVGA GTX 275 1792MB G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-21 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 500GB + 60GB OCZ Vertex 2E SSD HP Lightscribe dvd1170i Megahelms with 2 S-Flex 'G' fans Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung T260HD Steelseries 6Gv2 NZXT Hale90 850w Cooler Master ATCS 840 Silver 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone [+] Artisan Shiden KAI Asus Xonar Xense 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by returned4good View Post
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post
This we do not know. No one has a 4s to test and show this 7x performance improvement.
The iPad 2 claims up to 9x and we know how powerful the iPad 2's SGX543MP2 is, and the 4S only claims a little less than the iPad 2. It's not hard to figure out that the difference is because of lower clock speeds on the 4S, either on CPU or both the CPU and GPU. There's no new GPU because we'd have found the drivers in iOS 5 Beta, and it isn't a single SGX543 because it wouldn't get anywhere near that.
Quote:
http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_4s_an...-news-3250.php
Dual antenna is not a feature and is not the first to use it.
It is a feature, and it is the first "mobile" phone. The best example they had was a cordless phone? Yeah, no thanks -- there's a different there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
There's no question that many people are disappointed with what the 4s brings to the table over the Iphone 4. I don't think it's foolish to think that the door is now open for a phone like the Nexus Prime to make a big splash. In fact, it's foolish to assume it wouldn't.
You're kidding? People are disappointed that it didn't have a 4" screen, that's it. The 4S has massive improvements over the 4 in every area. It couldn't be anymore different, except on the outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
No. iPhone 4S is a 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, GS2 is a 2600K @ 4.5Ghz. Also it means you can overclock it unlike iPhone. Its 800Mhz vs 1.2Ghz
The GS2's CPU isn't necessarily going to out perform the 4S's by half because of clock speed. The two are a different architecture no? And the A5 is designed by Apple just for iOS devices, Intrinsity (which Apple acquired) specialised in PowerVR and ARM chips.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
The iPad 2 claims up to 9x and we know how powerful the iPad 2's SGX543MP2 is, and the 4S only claims a little less than the iPad 2. It's not hard to figure out that the difference is because of lower clock speeds on the 4S, either on CPU or both the CPU and GPU. There's no new GPU because we'd have found the drivers in iOS 5 Beta, and it isn't a single SGX543 because it wouldn't get anywhere near that.

It is a feature, and it is the first "mobile" phone. The best example they had was a cordless phone? Yeah, no thanks -- there's a different there too.

You're kidding? People are disappointed that it didn't have a 4" screen, that's it. The 4S has massive improvements over the 4 in every area. It couldn't be anymore different, except on the outside.

The GS2's CPU isn't necessarily going to out perform the 4S's by half because of clock speed. The two are a different architecture no? And the A5 is designed by Apple just for iOS devices, Intrinsity (which Apple acquired) specialised in PowerVR and ARM chips.
Well if its in a cordless phone it is nothing luxurious or to brag about. Samsung seems to own the patent for it also.

I am just not sure how you come about 7x the performance of the iphone 4. the a5 is 800mhz in the ipad 2. The ipad 2 has 2 batteries. We don't know how much under clocking has been done. You are assuming the a5 scales the same at higher or lower clocks.

The a5 at 800mhz is 9x, doesn't not mean at 1600mhz it will be 18x, or at 400 mhz it will be 4.5x the performance. Processors don't work like that.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post
Well if its in a cordless phone it is nothing luxurious or to brag about. Samsung seems to own the patent for it also.

I am just not sure how you come about 7x the performance of the iphone 4. the a5 is 800mhz in the ipad 2. The ipad 2 has 2 batteries. We don't know how much under clocking has been done. You are assuming the a5 scales the same at higher or lower clocks.
No, the A5 is 1GHz in the iPad 2, the A4 in the iPad 1 is 1GHz, and the A4 in the iPhone 4 is 800MHz. The iPad 2 has the same amount of battery as the iPad 1, however it is spread over three thinner batteries whereas the iPad 1 has two thicker batteries.
Quote:
The a5 at 800mhz is 9x, doesn't not mean at 1600mhz it will be 18x, or at 400 mhz it will be 4.5x the performance. Processors don't work like that.
You're talking about processor speed here, not the speed of the SGX543MP2 which is unknown.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
The GS2's CPU isn't necessarily going to out perform the 4S's by half because of clock speed. The two are a different architecture no? And the A5 is designed by Apple just for iOS devices, Intrinsity (which Apple acquired) specialised in PowerVR and ARM chips.
Actually both are Cortex-A9 based and mostly built from the reference design with a few tweaks here and there.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
No, the A5 is 1GHz in the iPad 2, the A4 in the iPad 1 is 1GHz, and the A4 in the iPhone 4 is 800MHz. The iPad 2 has the same amount of battery as the iPad 1, however it is spread over three thinner batteries whereas the iPad 1 has two thicker batteries.

You're talking about processor speed here, not the speed of the SGX543MP2 which is unknown.
The A5 is a 1ghz cpu running at 800 mhz in the ipad 2. I thought you would know that.
Just the same as the a4 is a 1ghz cpu running at 736 mhz in the iphone 4.


Yes you are correct about the gpu.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by L D4WG View Post
$29 for the new version is how it tuned out
Actually, I think it ended with one company having such a big market share they could make terrible commercials, and STILL grow in market share, because there was/is no credible competition in the work space.

It also ended up with a 10 year old OS having more market usage than any and all competition combined.

Base2
(21 items)
 
Edi
(13 items)
 
Zenbook
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k @ 4.75ghz @ 1.352v Asus p8p67 Deluxe Asus GTX 970 Strix ADATA XPG1 (2x8gb) @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x OCZ Agility 3  2x Toshiba 2tb Sata 3 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gb 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu-Ray-RW  Corsair H70 3x Corsair AF 120 Silent Edition 2x AF 140 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Asus VG248QE Asus VG248QE Ducky Shine 3 (MX Black) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX 1200 Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
Other
Sennheiser PC 350 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 740QM GTX 460m 2x 4gb DDR3 OCZ Agility 3 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 x64 15.1" (1920x1080) 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2367M Intel HD 3000 4GB DDR3 Hitachi HDD 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
SanDisk SSD Windows 7 Home Premium x64 13.3" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
Base2
(21 items)
 
Edi
(13 items)
 
Zenbook
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k @ 4.75ghz @ 1.352v Asus p8p67 Deluxe Asus GTX 970 Strix ADATA XPG1 (2x8gb) @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x OCZ Agility 3  2x Toshiba 2tb Sata 3 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gb 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu-Ray-RW  Corsair H70 3x Corsair AF 120 Silent Edition 2x AF 140 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Asus VG248QE Asus VG248QE Ducky Shine 3 (MX Black) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX 1200 Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
Other
Sennheiser PC 350 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 740QM GTX 460m 2x 4gb DDR3 OCZ Agility 3 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 x64 15.1" (1920x1080) 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2367M Intel HD 3000 4GB DDR3 Hitachi HDD 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
SanDisk SSD Windows 7 Home Premium x64 13.3" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Actually both are Cortex-A9 based and mostly built from the reference design with a few tweaks here and there.
I see, so it is the same CPU architecture. I disagree somewhat though, that there are only a few tweaks here and there on Apple's part. I believe it to be more along the lines of some changes and removal of unnecessary features, as well as plenty of tweaking. I expect there is a lot of tweaking with the PowerVR GPUs, too.

That's what Intrinsity specialises in, and they acquired them. We'll see how it performs soon enough though, I may be wrong. But based on what I've read and learned since the introduction of the first iPad, this is what I think is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post
The A5 is a 1ghz cpu running at 800 mhz in the ipad 2. I thought you would know that.
Just the same as the a4 is a 1ghz cpu running at 736 mhz in the iphone 4.


Yes you are correct about the gpu.
Mmm, no. The A5 runs at 1GHz in the iPad 2 as it says on Apple's website. The clock speed however is dynamic and changes based on workload, which is why when benchmarked it varies. I believe this is true also with the A4. The iPad 1 runs at 1GHz, and the iPhone 4 runs at 800MHz.

The A4 and A5 is not a CPU but a SoC. The A5 includes the CPU, as well as other packages such as the RAM and GPU.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
I see, so it is the same CPU architecture. I disagree somewhat though, that there are only a few tweaks here and there on Apple's part. I believe it to be more along the lines of some changes and removal of unnecessary features, as well as plenty of tweaking. I expect there is a lot of tweaking with the PowerVR GPUs, too.

That's what Intrinsity specialises in, and they acquired them. We'll see how it performs soon enough though, I may be wrong. But based on what I've read and learned since the introduction of the first iPad, this is what I think is correct.

Mmm, no. The A5 runs at 1GHz in the iPad 2 as it says on Apple's website. The clock speed however is dynamic and changes based on workload, which is why when benchmarked it varies. I believe this is true also with the A4. The iPad 1 runs at 1GHz, and the iPhone 4 runs at 800MHz.

The A4 and A5 is not a CPU but a SoC. The A5 includes the CPU, as well as other packages such as the RAM and GPU.
Now that I see you know nothing about the hardware you like. I choose to end this argument. Go do some reading and try again.
Edited by bencher - 10/9/11 at 8:07pm
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Reuters] Apple stumble seen opening door for rivals