Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD Failing to Boot Occasionally
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SSD Failing to Boot Occasionally

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, I have a problem that recently cropped up. My OCZ Agility 2 is failing to boot. This often happens after I boot up from a full shutdown, this has happened with regularity over the past day or two. Even before those problems, I noticed that the boot message (sorry I dont know the technical name, probably POST message?) tells me that it has failed to recognise a hard drive. Could this be the problem, if so how do I fix this?

Just as a side note, I can get into widows, but it takes a few restarts before It will boot successfully.

Second Question:
I have wanted to reset my SSD to factory default before my last re instalment of windows with a program supplied by OCZ in their "SSD Toolbox." As far as I can recall, It told me that I could not reset the drive to factory because It was the drive that had my OS loaded onto it. What is the best way of going about wiping the drive, resetting it to factory defaults? Should I put it into another computer and use that OS to wipe it?

Thnx as always OCN, I look forward to your response.
post #2 of 7
if you are using the Sata wires with the metal locks on them... change them to the common red with black tipped Sata wires.. the nice ones with the metal locks do not make good contact and can cause problems with false startups

BAD




GOOD


Edited by unimatrixzero - 10/6/11 at 11:37pm
Section 31
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3820 ASRock X79 Extreme 9 Sapphire 5770 X 2 In Crossfire 16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor SSD 128 GB 1 TB WD Black 1.5 tb WD Black  2 tb Seagate Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD RAPTOR 300  Plextor PX850SA Corsair H-100 Water cooling on processor Factory Cooling for both 5770 Graphic Cards 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 ViewSonic VX2235wm Samsung 920 BW APC With Cherry Switches. 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corair HX-1000 CM Storm Trooper Enigma Cobra Edition Microsoft SideWinder Gaming Mouse ASUS Black Leather 
Audio
Creative Core Recon 3Di 
  hide details  
Reply
Section 31
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3820 ASRock X79 Extreme 9 Sapphire 5770 X 2 In Crossfire 16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor SSD 128 GB 1 TB WD Black 1.5 tb WD Black  2 tb Seagate Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD RAPTOR 300  Plextor PX850SA Corsair H-100 Water cooling on processor Factory Cooling for both 5770 Graphic Cards 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 ViewSonic VX2235wm Samsung 920 BW APC With Cherry Switches. 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corair HX-1000 CM Storm Trooper Enigma Cobra Edition Microsoft SideWinder Gaming Mouse ASUS Black Leather 
Audio
Creative Core Recon 3Di 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunkosaur View Post
Hey guys, I have a problem that recently cropped up. My OCZ Agility 2 is failing to boot. This often happens after I boot up from a full shutdown, this has happened with regularity over the past day or two. Even before those problems, I noticed that the boot message (sorry I dont know the technical name, probably POST message?) tells me that it has failed to recognise a hard drive. Could this be the problem, if so how do I fix this?

Just as a side note, I can get into widows, but it takes a few restarts before It will boot successfully.

Second Question:
I have wanted to reset my SSD to factory default before my last re instalment of windows with a program supplied by OCZ in their "SSD Toolbox." As far as I can recall, It told me that I could not reset the drive to factory because It was the drive that had my OS loaded onto it. What is the best way of going about wiping the drive, resetting it to factory defaults? Should I put it into another computer and use that OS to wipe it?

Thnx as always OCN, I look forward to your response.
1. Try update the board BIOS, had that issue. Updating the BIOS get rid of it.

2. The only way to reset is to re-format wiping all data out.
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrixzero View Post
if you are using the Sata wires with the metal locks on them... change them to the common red with black tipped Sata wires.. the nice ones with the metal locks do not make good contact and can cause problems with false startups
could be this, Ill double check my connections next time I have a chance. I acctualy topped up my res a few days ago, one of the calbes might have got bumped.

in regards to the "No Disk Found" error that i was having, It was because I forgot to replug the sata power and data cable into my DVD drive.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post
1. Try update the board BIOS, had that issue. Updating the BIOS get rid of it.

2. The only way to reset is to re-format wiping all data out.
I've had the latest BIOS for a while now. Im gonna try a secure erase on the SSD tomorrow by throwing it into another computer so I wont have to boot off it. I heard somewhere that large amounts of BSOD's can cause issues with windows, so im gonna start fresh.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunkosaur View Post
I've had the latest BIOS for a while now. Im gonna try a secure erase on the SSD tomorrow by throwing it into another computer so I wont have to boot off it. I heard somewhere that large amounts of BSOD's can cause issues with windows, so im gonna start fresh.
Yes, avoid BSODs if all possible. Always make a backup of good working OS + apps.
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post
Yes, avoid BSODs if all possible. Always make a backup of good working OS + apps.
yea im backing up my HDD with all my important data, gonna do a factory reset on the SSD tomorrow, the load windows ect. and then backup that fresh install.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD Failing to Boot Occasionally