Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › thinking about switching back to nvidia 6970 to sli 560 ti 2gb
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

thinking about switching back to nvidia 6970 to sli 560 ti 2gb - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post
Thanxlck for the read now i wonder how much better the 2gb versione are over the 1gb with the ability to work with more vram?
depends on the resolution you'll be using it for.

with up to 1920x1080 resolutions, there's really no need for more than 1gb, as long as the card is fast enough. pioneer said it best here - http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1135...l#post15217925, but that pretty much sums it up..

that being said, the 560ti TOP from ASUS would be my top pick for a 560ti (ordered two myself), they can be had for 245$ @ amazon.
the MSI is also excellent, but usually more expensive, and the cooling/noise/OC headroom is just as good on the ASUS, plus I like the look of it more
post #12 of 23
i had the choice too and ud be downgrading bruh. unless u get those super OC models that cost as much as a 6970 ud be loosing out cash wise as well. i got my 6950 for 240 after rebate so just look around and crossfire that shiii
ShadowinBlue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 870 H55m-UD2h sapphire HD 6950 12 gig ram ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung f3 1 TB Windows 7 64 Sharp hdtv Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
ShadowinBlue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 870 H55m-UD2h sapphire HD 6950 12 gig ram ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung f3 1 TB Windows 7 64 Sharp hdtv Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by templar View Post
depends on the resolution you'll be using it for.

with up to 1920x1080 resolutions, there's really no need for more than 1gb, as long as the card is fast enough. pioneer said it best here - http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1135...l#post15217925, but that pretty much sums it up..

that being said, the 560ti TOP from ASUS would be my top pick for a 560ti (ordered two myself), they can be had for 245$ @ amazon.
the MSI is also excellent, but usually more expensive, and the cooling/noise/OC headroom is just as good on the ASUS, plus I like the look of it more
sorry but i dont believe that at all, if the game is optimized you will need more than 1gb of vram to push a 1080 resolution. you will need a minimum of 2gb to run at gamer or almost enthusiast settings. but to run maximum settings you will need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizthakidd View Post
i had the choice too and ud be downgrading bruh. unless u get those super OC models that cost as much as a 6970 ud be loosing out cash wise as well. i got my 6950 for 240 after rebate so just look around and crossfire that shiii
i have cfx 6970's in my main rig this will be going in my lan rig.
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post
sorry but i dont believe that at all, if the game is optimized you will need more than 1gb of vram to push a 1080 resolution. you will need a minimum of 2gb to run at gamer or almost enthusiast settings. but to run maximum settings you will need more.


i have cfx 6970's in my main rig this will be going in my lan rig.
do you have a bench showing an optimized game requiring more than 1gb? or more correctly showing an increase in performance that's notable between 1 and 2 gb?

anandtech 6950 1gb vs. 2gb -look at the crysis warhead 2560 on enthusiast setting, i think that's optimized enough - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/331?vs=293

that's just the first thing that came to mind but i'm sure more digging will uncover more 1gb-2gb comparisons.

EDIT: another example, where the 560 2gb version is about the same as the 460 1gb - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/rev...ent_affordable
Edited by templar - 10/7/11 at 5:58pm
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by templar View Post
do you have a bench showing an optimized game requiring more than 1gb? or more correctly showing an increase in performance that's notable between 1 and 2 gb?

anandtech 6950 1gb vs. 2gb -look at the crysis warhead 2560 on enthusiast setting, i think that's optimized enough - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/331?vs=293

that's just the first thing that came to mind but i'm sure more digging will uncover more 1gb-2gb comparisons.

EDIT: another example, where the 560 2gb version is about the same as the 460 1gb - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/rev...ent_affordable
im not even talking about the 560 2gb, im talking about the TI 2gb so why even bring that into the discussion
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post
im not even talking about the 560 2gb, im talking about the TI 2gb so why even bring that into the discussion
because, like the 6950, it comes to show that the 2gb doesn't add up to increased fps at the speeds it can be run at by the cards. if it doesn't for the 6950, it probably won't for the 560ti
post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by templar View Post
because, like the 6950, it comes to show that the 2gb doesn't add up to increased fps at the speeds it can be run at by the cards. if it doesn't for the 6950, it probably won't for the 560ti
i guess i will just wait until the gtx560ti 2gb reviews to come out
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Sharkbait
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k OC 4.6 Asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 Asus GTX 670 DirectCU ii top sli 16gb gskill ripsaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3xWD RE4 2tb Crucial M4 128gb none Corsair h80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit HP ZR30w 30" IPS Corsair vengeance k60 Corsair hx850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li Lancool DragonLord K62R1 Corsair vengeance m60 Razor Large ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
But there are games which will use more than 1gb or ram at 1080p.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
WOAH, 580s in SLI average just 10 fps more than two 560s? Damn.
That is on gamer settings though. On enthusiast settings, the gap increases to 15 fps. I am pretty sure there is some CPU bottlenecking going on as well. For example, in a more GPU intensive game, the difference is a massive 22FPS. They are using an old i7 965, when even my 2500k@4.5Ghz produces a slight bottleneck for my GPUs. The extra 512MB VRAM of the 580 helps with things like AA and high res textures as well.

Not to belittle the 560Ti. It's a great card, but its no 580.
Metal Gear RAY
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7- 5820K ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1 Pascal Titan X 16GB G.Skill RipJaws IV 2666mhz DDR4  
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD Windows 10 Pro Acer XB321HK ASUS PG348Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 EVGA Supernova 850w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G9X 
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Metal Gear RAY
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7- 5820K ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1 Pascal Titan X 16GB G.Skill RipJaws IV 2666mhz DDR4  
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD Windows 10 Pro Acer XB321HK ASUS PG348Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 EVGA Supernova 850w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G9X 
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
why not SLI 2 560 Hawks instead?
Mid-End Game Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @3.9Ghz (1.29375v) GA-P55A-UD3P rev 1.0 MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk G.Skill ECO 2x2GB DDR3 1600 (7-8-7-24-2T) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS HP DVD1260i 24x Corsair H50 Silverstone FM-121 110CFM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
CoolerMaster 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan 90CFM Deep Cool XFan 80 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Chimei 23LH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Genius KB-110 HEC Cougar CM 700w Antec DF-30 PowerLogic PowerLaser GLX-20 
  hide details  
Reply
Mid-End Game Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @3.9Ghz (1.29375v) GA-P55A-UD3P rev 1.0 MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk G.Skill ECO 2x2GB DDR3 1600 (7-8-7-24-2T) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS HP DVD1260i 24x Corsair H50 Silverstone FM-121 110CFM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
CoolerMaster 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan 90CFM Deep Cool XFan 80 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Chimei 23LH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Genius KB-110 HEC Cougar CM 700w Antec DF-30 PowerLogic PowerLaser GLX-20 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › thinking about switching back to nvidia 6970 to sli 560 ti 2gb