Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Will this card unlock?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will this card unlock?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127588

I'm considering buying this solely on the fact that it will unlock. I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I'm planning to unlock the shaders on this card, not flash it with the 6970 bios. Is there any chance of bricking this card just by unlocking the shaders? Does it have a dual bios? Not sure how this works honestly but many reviews said they unlocked successfuly
post #2 of 12
no, but should oc well. only ref design cards unlock.
rwar
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
3930k Asus ROG 680 FTW+ SSD 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
H100 dell u3011 850w Silverston t something 
  hide details  
Reply
rwar
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
3930k Asus ROG 680 FTW+ SSD 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
H100 dell u3011 850w Silverston t something 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allupinya;15219707 
no, but should oc well. only ref design cards unlock.

That's what I used to think too before reading all the reviews of this card and people saying they've successfully unlocked it.
post #4 of 12
Doesnt the R in R6950 mean ref.? if so itll work fine
Streamer/Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K Asus X99-A Sapphire R9-290 Crucial Ballistics Sport 16gb 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 60gb Seagate 1TB Corsair H100  Windows 10 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" 1080 monitors Logitech G510 Corsair HX620 Nzxt Switch 810 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Steel series QCK cloth Logitech G930 headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Streamer/Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K Asus X99-A Sapphire R9-290 Crucial Ballistics Sport 16gb 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 60gb Seagate 1TB Corsair H100  Windows 10 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" 1080 monitors Logitech G510 Corsair HX620 Nzxt Switch 810 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Steel series QCK cloth Logitech G930 headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Reference PCB, not reference card. Generally black pcbs only I believe.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill;15219748 
Doesnt the R in R6950 mean ref.? if so itll work fine

Hm, so you're saying it's a ref pcb just with a custom msi cooling solution? I see there's no dual bios switch, so if the bios flash doesn't take(how does this work, is it luck?) I have no means of recovery and I have to RMA?

edit:

I just found this guide, seems to be pretty legit and he said he made it work for his twin frozr II 6950
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950-shader-unlock-instructions
Edited by venomblade - 10/7/11 at 8:04pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade;15219803 
Hm, so you're saying it's a ref pcb just with a custom msi cooling solution? I see there's no dual bios switch, so if the bios flash doesn't take(how does this work, is it luck?) I have no means of recovery and I have to RMA?

venomblade, so much mis-information coming your way in this thread.

I would not suggest that particular card, as it's chance to Un-Luck is LOWER than others, and since it does NOT have the DUAL BIOS, either the switch or a 2nd Bios ON the card, that means to Un-Lock it you would have to try the HARD FLASH method using atiwinflash or the TechUp RBE editor ... and IF you mess it up and/or it doesn't Un-Lock you run the risk of BRICKING your card, and while fixable it's a PITA to undo your mistakes. Oh and if you CAN'T unbrick it, you can't RMA it either so you know, as you've voided your Warranty when you tried to flash it !

ALL that said here are the Cards I do suggest to you, in order of success rate of unlocking, as they all have a 2nd BIOS on the card that you can try to UnLock with the simple flip of the switch, if it doesn't work you flip it back and you still have your normal 6950 card No Harm No Foul ...

- Sapphire TOXIC edition , TigerDirect has it now too, UnLock rate about 66-70%.
- MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC 2GB (MSI make 4 6950's ONLY this one has the dual Bios)
- SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition Best on Budget, but about a 33-40% chance to UnLock at best.
- There are a couple others (read the OCN threads, but success has been limited, PowerColor, HIS, XFX, etc.)

Frankly if what you want is a 100% guaranteed HD6970 and a good Deal ... then buy the Sapphire 6970 @ NewEgg for $300 after MIR, and don't mess with UnLocking.


Edit : also just looking at your Sig ... you have a Palit GTX-560ti ? the 1GB or 2GB card ? to be honest you have a decent card now and you won't see a HUGE JUMP in performance upgrading to a 6950, it will be more noticable with a 6970 sure, but again there is NO guarantee you can UnLock a 6950 into a 6970, so IMO I'd keep your current card, or maybe SLI it to be truthful with you !

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan - 10/7/11 at 8:13pm
   
LG/Google NEXUS 5
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 Yorkfield Quad-Core Asus IPIBL-LB (HP Benicia-GL8E) Sapphire TOXIC HD6950 {UnLocked 1536 shaders} 8 GB G. Skill Pi Black DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SeaGate Barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache HP - DVD/CD combo Drive Cooler Master  MS Vista Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w2207h Widescreen HP Stock BFG Tech LS-680 HP Pavilion 
Mouse
HP stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Core Krait 400 @ 2.30GHz  Qualcomm MSM8974(Snapdragon 800) Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB NAND Android 4.4 Kitkat 4.95" 1080X1920 IPS Display Swiftkey 
PowerAudio
2300 mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
   
LG/Google NEXUS 5
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 Yorkfield Quad-Core Asus IPIBL-LB (HP Benicia-GL8E) Sapphire TOXIC HD6950 {UnLocked 1536 shaders} 8 GB G. Skill Pi Black DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SeaGate Barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache HP - DVD/CD combo Drive Cooler Master  MS Vista Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w2207h Widescreen HP Stock BFG Tech LS-680 HP Pavilion 
Mouse
HP stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Core Krait 400 @ 2.30GHz  Qualcomm MSM8974(Snapdragon 800) Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB NAND Android 4.4 Kitkat 4.95" 1080X1920 IPS Display Swiftkey 
PowerAudio
2300 mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
lol 7th thread ive seen on this. @ LA_KING_FAN

anyway i got the saphire 6950 and if it doesnt have the switch i sure hope it unlocks. if not im hearing the frozer III almost always does
ShadowinBlue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 870 H55m-UD2h sapphire HD 6950 12 gig ram ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung f3 1 TB Windows 7 64 Sharp hdtv Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
ShadowinBlue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 870 H55m-UD2h sapphire HD 6950 12 gig ram ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung f3 1 TB Windows 7 64 Sharp hdtv Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Kings_Fan;15219932 
venomblade, so much mis-information coming your way in this thread.

I would not suggest that particular card, as it's chance to Un-Luck is LOWER than others, and since it does NOT have the DUAL BIOS, either the switch or a 2nd Bios ON the card, that means to Un-Lock it you would have to try the HARD FLASH method using atiwinflash or the TechUp RBE editor ... and IF you mess it up and/or it doesn't Un-Lock you run the risk of BRICKING your card, and while fixable it's a PITA to undo your mistakes. Oh and if you CAN'T unbrick it, you can't RMA it either so you know, as you've voided your Warranty when you tried to flash it !

ALL that said here are the Cards I do suggest to you, in order of success rate of unlocking, as they all have a 2nd BIOS on the card that you can try to UnLock with the simple flip of the switch, if it doesn't work you flip it back and you still have your normal 6950 card No Harm No Foul ...

- Sapphire TOXIC edition , TigerDirect has it now too, UnLock rate about 66-70%.
- MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC 2GB (MSI make 4 6950's ONLY this one has the dual Bios)
- SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition Best on Budget, but about a 33-40% chance to UnLock at best.
- There are a couple others (read the OCN threads, but success has been limited, PowerColor, HIS, XFX, etc.)

Frankly if what you want is a 100% guaranteed HD6970 and a good Deal ... then buy the Sapphire 6970 @ NewEgg for $300 after MIR, and don't mess with UnLocking.


Edit : also just looking at your Sig ... you have a Palit GTX-560ti ? the 1GB or 2GB card ? to be honest you have a decent card now and you won't see a HUGE JUMP in performance upgrading to a 6950, it will be more noticable with a 6970 sure, but again there is NO guarantee you can UnLock a 6950 into a 6970, so IMO I'd keep your current card, or maybe SLI it to be truthful with you !

thanks for that well written guide, +rep. Oh and this is for a completely new rig for myself, my sig rig is my brother's. However since I'll be playing at 1440x900 display until I have enough to upgrade to 1920x1080, I'll just get a 6970 or maybe even a 570, don't think I'll mess with unlocking, doesn't seem worth it.
post #10 of 12
That's basically it, I can't say for sure but I believe you need the bios switch in case something goes wrong. Even though a very large percent of bios flashes have been successful without needing the switch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Will this card unlock?