Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GON] Always-On DRM Confirmed for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - UPDATED!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GON] Always-On DRM Confirmed for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - UPDATED! - Page 16

post #151 of 166
one thing is if a developer is worrying about piracy, give the pirates a reason to BUY IT, make a game worth the price, give us updates, free dlc... etc. its what makes minecraft work. you buy it and you get constant free content, and people pay for that.

strong DRM makes people pirate games.
Hasy-E
(19 items)
 
Westy-EP
(14 items)
 
NP8153
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Intel® HM170 Express Chipset NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB M2 HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 15.6" 1080P IPS with G-SYNC Technology 
Keyboard
Color illuminated keyboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Hasy-E
(19 items)
 
Westy-EP
(14 items)
 
NP8153
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Intel® HM170 Express Chipset NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB M2 HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 15.6" 1080P IPS with G-SYNC Technology 
Keyboard
Color illuminated keyboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #152 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldefang View Post
No I didn't play those games and I do know that VAC is a form of DRM. Where did I say I have no problem with it either? Don't go throwing words around I never said.
Where did I say you were? I said I "bet", meaning that I'm taking a chance.

Quote:
Why can't I have a problem with DRM and voice my opinion? Hacker? Grow up.
Why can't I debate your opinion with mine? If you don't want to subject your opinion to a mass of people, don't speak it. I'm just as entitled as you to speak an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooface View Post
one thing is if a developer is worrying about piracy, give the pirates a reason to BUY IT, make a game worth the price, give us updates, free dlc... etc. its what makes minecraft work. you buy it and you get constant free content, and people pay for that.

strong DRM makes people pirate games.
Minecraft is coded in a fashion that every release introduces a new problem, a new inefficiency, and another version of a broken game that requires a few vacations in-between to make minor fixes.

If Minecraft is worth nearly 25-30 CAD for a half arse slab together of someone else's' original take on a game, then Crysis, a game that works out of the box, is definitely worth 60 CAD. Likewise, considering the quality of STALKER, definitely worth it.
Edited by Domino - 10/8/11 at 10:19pm
post #153 of 166
lol they are begging for the game to be pirated, its their loss
post #154 of 166
Next on the news
S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 pirated and cracked on Release date.
Ocn Member's saying "I told you so"
post #155 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
I will honestly say I pirated stalker.




Then I bought them all.

I did too. Bought the 1st, pirated both CS and CoP, and immediately purchased. It's especially nice they're usually at the $29.99 or $19.99 price point or less. STALKER is one of my favorite game series, I hope this is wrong.
post #156 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Drafted by their greed? That they aren't giving you a free game and are trying to protect themselves from people stealing their property by using DRM that barely even effects you? People who are going to have the hardware to run the game are more then likely going to have internet to sustain it.
The DRM does affect me I have Satellite with a 7GB down Fair Access Policy/month. Get off your high horse and stop acting like I am some kind of thief because I disagree with you about this DRM. I do not pirate and I will not pirate. Also the assumption you make about having internet to back the Hardware one owns is just wrong. This is not a MMO were talking about here, its a single player FPS. I don't play games like WOW because its a MMO and my connection cannot handle that. For a SP FPS it should be required for no more than a one time activation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
How is it not a war against pirates? Do you even know why DRM was even brought to the table? To stop pirates from taking money away from developers.
It doesn't stop pirating. Its been proven. What it does do is affect many innocent consumers like me in a very negative way and basically eliminate me as a potential customer thus still hurting their bottom line. You cannot count the morons on TPB etc as lost sales. What makes you think they would have bought the game in the first place? Once a mooch always a mooch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
It is not going to be a major issue. It'll probably be a few kb here and there. You don't even know. Stop jumping to conclusions.
I am going on past experiences and the fact its a constant stream that will not only consume precious bandwidth but you can be assured will be greatly affected by latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
We had the issue and we got by. Crap internet, dial-up, sharing 1 PC, 5 hours waiting in line for a counter-strike update along with 24 hours to download it, just so we can play at 320x280 or whatever the lowest resolution was at the time. Heh, you guys have it easy compared to us.
This kinda crap is still going on right where I live fella. It also isn't getting any better and there are lots more like me out there here in the USA. Many right here in my own State.
Edited by Captain318 - 10/8/11 at 11:02pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
post #157 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain318 View Post
The DRM does affect me I have Satellite with a 7GB down Fair Access Policy/month. Get off your high horse and stop acting like I am some kind of thief because I disagree with you about this DRM. I do not pirate and I will not pirate. Also the assumption you make about having internet to back the Hardware one owns is just wrong. This is not a MMO were talking about here, its a single player FPS. I don't play games like WOW because its a MMO and my connection cannot handle that. For a SP FPS it should be required for no more than a one time activation.
I think you might want to step down from your wooden horse there mate. Not once did I state you were a thief.

If you can afford a rig that costs as much as your sig, you should be able to afford an internet connection that can handle a connection rate that will be anywhere from 10-100 kbps. Heck, I'm on a university budget and I can afford a 1 Gb/m plan under 4G speeds (48mbps) for the year. I'm sure you can work something with your supplier before you start making a big deal out of it.

Quote:
It doesn't stop pirating. Its been proven. What it does do is affect many innocent consumers like me in a very negative way and basically eliminate me as a potential customer thus still hurting their bottom line. You cannot count the morons on TPB etc as lost sales. What makes you think they would have bought the game in the first place? Once a mooch always a mooch.
I'm getting really sick and tired of OCN members posting based on schema rather then what is actually said. Hopefully you'll read this time. This is just ridiculous.

I said, DRM was set in place to combat pirates, not the consumer. Quote me on where I said that DRM was successful.

Quote:
I am going on past experiences and the fact its a constant stream that will not only consume precious bandwidth but you can be assured will be greatly affected by latency.
Tough. I'm sure you'll get by. If you don't like these conditions, which effect a few compared to the majority, then you'll either need to adopt or not play the game.

The fact of the matter is, is that you might need to adopt rather then expect everything to work out smoothly. I'd highly suggest you talk to your ISP then whine towards a developer trying to make ends meat. You'd be surprised, there are people just like you who work at these companies. They're only human, just like your ISP.
Edited by Domino - 10/8/11 at 11:26pm
post #158 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I think you might want to step down from your wooden horse there mate. Not once did I state you were a thief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Drafted by their greed? That they aren't giving you a free game and are trying to protect themselves from people stealing their property by using DRM that barely even effects you?
The fact is, I am not asking for nor complaining that I am not getting something for free or resorting to piracy. The tone you are using with myself and other OCN members that oppose your opinion, you act as if we are pirates ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
If you can afford a rig that costs as much as your sig, you should be able to afford an internet connection that can handle a connection rate that will be anywhere from 10-100 kbps. Heck, I'm on a university budget and I can afford a 1 Gb/m plan under 4G speeds (48mbps) for the year. I'm sure you can work something with your supplier before you start making a big deal out of it.
Its not that I cannot afford the internet its not available to me to pay for! READ! Also, you seem to have a incredible lack of knowledge concerning Satellite ISP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I'm getting really sick and tired of OCN members posting based on schema rather then what is actually said. Hopefully you'll read this time. This is just ridiculous.
I Read perfectly and have not posted based on "Schema"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I said, DRM was set in place to combat pirates, not the consumer. Quote me on where I said that DRM was successful.
Look around OCN. It is not successful! It does not stop Piracy but turn Honest Customers into either A. Non customers B. Disgruntled Customers or C. Pirates themselves because they cannot get a piece of software they paid for to function and are forced underground to resolve their issues since they are treated as criminals. Its the innocent that pay the price here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Tough. I'm sure you'll get by. If you don't like these conditions, which effect a few compared to the majority, then you'll either need to adopt or not play the game.
I will not adopt. Even if Bandwidth wasn't a issue, I still will not stand for a company to dictate when/if I get access to software I pay for. Oh Excuse me, (Software I am licensed to use not own)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
The fact of the matter is, is that you might need to adopt rather then expect everything to work out smoothly. I'd highly suggest you talk to your ISP then whine towards a developer trying to make ends meat. You'd be surprised, there are people just like you who work at these companies. They're only human, just like your ISP.
Read above ^

Anyway, I am done with this thread. We have to agree to disagree.

Good luck STALKER fans and remember, you can Vote with your dollars to stop this DRM from becoming common place.
Edited by Captain318 - 10/9/11 at 12:36am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
post #159 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I'm getting really sick and tired of OCN members posting based on schema rather then what is actually said. Hopefully you'll read this time. This is just ridiculous.

I said, DRM was set in place to combat pirates, not the consumer. Quote me on where I said that DRM was successful.
You said this however;

Which is the same thing as saying DRM is having a positive effect. Because if it wasn't, it would be reducing the profits made by developers. That is going by your logic.

But you are completely and utterly wrong. You try and make out that you know what you are talking about but you have no basis for your information.

DRM is bad for business. It does NOT stop pirates. It INCREASES pircay by turning away would be legitimate customers due to their draconian measures. As I have said before in this thread, counting every download of a torrent as a lost sale is completely flawed. And this is where the Publishers are going wrong. They are saying "Our game was downloaded illegally over 500,000 times. So now we are going to bring in restrictive DRM measures to "protect" our IP".

In reality, what they should be saying is "There have been 500,000 illegal downloads of game "x" so we are going to punish all paying customers by treating them like criminals, even though we know from all the factual evidence that has been collected and doccumented that the vast majority or pirates have absolutely no intention of buying the game in the first place and counting every illegal download as lost sale is flawed. Especially when the evidence heavily suggests that piracy is actually INCREASING sales."

That is what they should be saying.

I am studying game design at Uni, so I'm not some pirating criminal. I buy all my games legally and have not pirated a game for about 3 years (since I finished high school and got myself a job). I have a vested interest in trying to combat piracy because at the end of the day it will be what is helping me feed my family in the future. However, I'm not naive and don't blindly listen to what the big corporations are crying.

Piracy is both good and bad for the industry. From my own personal experience, when I was about 15 The Witcher 1 was released. If it weren't for a torrent, I would have never heard about that game. I downloaded the game, played it, loved it and went down to the store the next day and bought it for full retail price. Since then I have also bought two copies of The Witcher 2 and will likely get the X360 version. So because of piracy, I have given CDProjekt $200 for the 3 games I have purcahsed from them. That was all thanks to a torrent.

I also torrented STALKER years back and just like The Witcher, I went out and bought it the next day. I then pre-ordered both CS and CoP. So GSC got $150 from me thanks to piracy.

Looking back, I'm not proud that I pirated. But at the same time, if it weren't for piracy I wouldn't have even known about two of my favourite gaming franchises. Which I have now bought all games in the respective franchises for full price.

So don't just blindly believe what the Publishers are crying. Piracy has been proven to increase sales (even a high ranking suit at Nintendo admitted that last year). DRM has been proven to hurt sales. Which makes it stupid to implement DRM in your games.

The best way to combat piracy is using the good old "Build it and they will come" mentality. If you make a good game, word gets around quickly and people WILL buy your game. The issue we have with the modern market is that most games are just generic CoD, BF and WoW rip-offs and don't bring anything new. Heck, most games don't even do what they are emulating from said games to a decent standard. Homefront anyone? That had the promise and setting to be a really good game. However KAOS just did what everyone else was doing and implemented certain things very poorly. Which hurt the sales. You can't just rip-off CoD or BF and expect to make money. You need to push the boundaries a bit OR if you are going to blatantly rip-off another game, do it exceptionally well.

That is when developers will make money. When the Publishers stop trying to pump out one game after the other and start focusing on making fewer, higher quality titles. Atm for every good game we get, we get ten crap ones. I'm not saying that warrants pircay, not at all. But sadly, that is how it goes.
Edited by Vengeance47 - 10/9/11 at 1:00am
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #160 of 166
If I'm playing a game in sp mode it better be offline and not eating at my connection. I sometimes play GTA to kill time between downloads and it's bad enough that I have to click through the mess of R*SC and (on install) GFWL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
This actually sounds like the smartest DRM out of all of them really.

Will this work? Probably not but with some fine tuning it could work.
There is no amount of fine tuning that would make this system 100%. And if it's not 100% there's no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooface View Post
strong DRM makes people pirate games.
This.. crappy companies... and other factors would definitely make me less likely to give a snit or buy if i enjoy.
Edited by BlackVenom - 10/9/11 at 1:33am
IntelAsylum R2.1
(14 items)
 
M11xR2
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G 16GB Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
R0: 2x1TB WD Se Samsung 840 EVO LG UH12LS28 BDD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2414H x2 M$ Sidewinder x4 Seasonic 600W CM HAF 932A 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitec M705 MouseMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 GT335m 1gb 4gb ddr3 Sandisk 128GB SSD 
OS
Windows/Linux/Depends 
  hide details  
Reply
IntelAsylum R2.1
(14 items)
 
M11xR2
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G 16GB Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
R0: 2x1TB WD Se Samsung 840 EVO LG UH12LS28 BDD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2414H x2 M$ Sidewinder x4 Seasonic 600W CM HAF 932A 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitec M705 MouseMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 GT335m 1gb 4gb ddr3 Sandisk 128GB SSD 
OS
Windows/Linux/Depends 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GON] Always-On DRM Confirmed for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - UPDATED!