Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Need a gfx card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a gfx card

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm in need of a gfx it must have hdmi with audio via cable from mobo. It will be used with a p5k-e. I can't seem to find one. I was looking at the 6450 but no spdif.
post #2 of 9
Why not get a discrete sound card? I have never heard of a gpu with spdif. Maybe it exists though?
post #3 of 9
Ya if a video card has hdmi it won't have a SPDIF. Since hdmi supports sound. You could look for a motherboard with spdif, and just use the hdmi for video but leave your sound output via the motherboard sound's SPDIF. Or like Mastercheese said, get a sound card with SPDIF.
The 2600k
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2600k GA-Z68XP-UD4 MSI ATI 6950(unlocked) XFX ATI 6950(unlocked) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 997015 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000 10-11-... Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB Custom Watercooled 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Viewsonic VX2739wm Viewsonic VX2739wm Logitech G15(original) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000 DangerDen Torture Rack Razer Diamondback Everglide Titan 
Audio
Creative xFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
The 2600k
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2600k GA-Z68XP-UD4 MSI ATI 6950(unlocked) XFX ATI 6950(unlocked) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin 997015 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000 10-11-... Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB Custom Watercooled 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Viewsonic VX2739wm Viewsonic VX2739wm Logitech G15(original) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000 DangerDen Torture Rack Razer Diamondback Everglide Titan 
Audio
Creative xFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
I don't think its called spdif. But there are hdmi cards that have a 4pin input on them for the sound from the mobo. I've seen them before.
post #5 of 9
Some video cards used to have 2-pin SPDIF onboard that allows user to connect it to the SPDIF header on the motherboard.

Now days modern GPUs can automatically get sound through PCIe. After installing GPU driver right click

Sound >>> Playback devices >>> Set AMD/Nvidia HDMI as default.
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
Misaka
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB Samsung DDR3 16 GB (30 nm) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128 GB WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Lite-on DVD Burner Thermalright Venomous X 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Host) Crunchbang Linux x64 (Guest) HP 2311x HP PS/2 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Capstone 450 W Rosewill Challenger Logitech M570 ASUS Xonar D1 
Other
Hauppauge HVR-1250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post
Some video cards used to have 2-pin SPDIF onboard that allows user to connect it to the SPDIF header on the motherboard.

Now days modern GPUs can automatically get sound through PCIe. After installing GPU driver right click

Sound >>> Playback devices >>> Set AMD/Nvidia HDMI as default.
I have a p5k-e that I wanna do this with. So I'm assuming as long as the drivers are there for it, it will work. I never realized that they switched it like this.

Looks like I'm gonna just get the 6450 then. Thank for updating me with the times.
Otherwise I would still be looking for one.
Edited by tombug - 10/9/11 at 7:14am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombug View Post
I have a p5k-e that I wanna do this with. So I'm assuming as long as the drivers are there for it, it will work. I never realized that they switched it like this.

Looks like I'm gonna just get the 6450 then. Thank for updating me with the times.
Otherwise I would still be looking for one.
I just put a 6450 in my HTPC, that card was made for HTPC great card!
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFr View Post
I just put a 6450 in my HTPC, that card was made for HTPC great card!
Cool man, glad it worked out for you, yeah, that HD 6450 looks pretty good for a silent card that can deliver movie playback.

I'm using a gt240 in my HTPC, for DXVA, and some light gaming, and I couldn't be more satisfied, it runs cool, silent, and doesn't draw much power.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post
Cool man, glad it worked out for you, yeah, that HD 6450 looks pretty good for a silent card that can deliver movie playback.

I'm using a gt240 in my HTPC, for DXVA, and some light gaming, and I couldn't be more satisfied, it runs cool, silent, and doesn't draw much power.
Yeah after finding out how lousy my 780's built in video card was even though it was an "HTPC Motherboard" I needed to get something that was full out HDMI 1.3/1.4 compliant. Hopefully I won't need to upgrade again in a while my HTPC is strictly HTPC so no gaming or anything else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Need a gfx card