Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Tried to get some sunset shots, not happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tried to get some sunset shots, not happy

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Nothing turned out the way I wanted. I was tolded to use a Polarized filter and a 9 stop ND filter to get the glassy water look with long exp and also reduce Glare and LEns Flare. Not sure what went wrong. Settings were ISO 100, F/22, and long exposire of 15sec. I tried some shorter ones with lower F-stop but it did not seem to help. Everything turned out soft and had too much noise in it even at low ISO. No clouds today which was a bummer. I thought this camera would not show so much noise on such a low ISO. I set exposure so that the meter read 0 every shot.

First pic is untouched version and second is PP'd with auto WB and added clarity and some noise reduction which did not seem to work. I am using a trial version of Lightroom 3. The image quality degraded after resizing to post here. I will have to put them up on photobucket and link them.




Edited by Topgearfan - 10/9/11 at 12:23am
post #2 of 9
You'd probably get more light reflecting off the water if you didn't use a polarized filter.
post #3 of 9
Ok, a lot of factors here at work:

1. Using filters, especially when stacking them, can dramatically reduce IQ.
2. So does shooting really narrow apertures like f/22, where diffraction comes into play.
3. You aren't close enough to the water to really show significant blurred movement from the water. Furthermore, a placid lake isn't a good candidate for slow-shutter water shots since there isn't much movement.
4. Move to a different vantage with more interesting things in the foreground, such as closer to the shore. This will also bring the water closer to the frame.
5. Long exposures increase digital noise due to the heat that builds up in the sensor. Make sure long exposure noise reduction is on, and/or shoot shorter shutter speeds.
Edited by GoneTomorrow - 10/9/11 at 8:12am
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
THanks for the info that helps a lot. There were hardly any waves at the beach in that area because it is a channel for the boats to come in. Most other active areas of water were crowded or you cant get to it because there was no parking. I will try again. I have seen several people taking long exposure shots that look really nice with no noise in the pictures at all. I guess I will try it agian without the ND filter and just a polarized. I only did both because I was thinking the direct sunlight would damage the sensor.

I have taken night time shoots with up to 3min exposures and did not get much noise for some reason. The entire point of the ND filter was to be able to get that nice look to the water. I watched a vieo of a guy using one that did a 2 min exposure to get that perfect glassy look. He set the camera at F/22 and 100 ISO in order to get that long, and it was an overcast day if I remember. I knew I would not get that long on a sunny day. I thought I had long exposure noise on but i checked and it was not. I reset the cmaera settinga couple of day ago and forgot about it.

I will go back and try agian without filters and see and try a different area. I figured maybe I damaged the camera is why the pics did not come out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Ok, a lot of factors here at work:

1. Using filters, especially when stacking them, can dramatically reduce IQ.
2. So does shooting really narrow apertures like f/22, where diffraction comes into play.
3. You aren't close enough to the water to really show significant blurred movement from the water. Furthermore, a placid lake isn't a good candidate for slow-shutter water shots since there isn't much movement.
4. Move to a different vantage with more interesting things in the foreground, such as closer to the shore. This will also bring the water closer to the frame.
5. Long exposures increase digital noise due to the heat that builds up in the sensor. Make sure long exposure noise reduction is on, and/or shoot shorter shutter speeds.

Edited by Topgearfan - 10/9/11 at 10:51am
post #5 of 9
That's not a 9-stop ND. Not at those settings.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
THanks for the info that helps a lot. There were hardly any waves at the beach in that area because it is a channel for the boats to come in. Most other active areas of water were crowded or you cant get to it because there was no parking. I will try again. I have seen several people taking long exposure shots that look really nice with no noise in the pictures at all. I guess I will try it agian without the ND filter and just a polarized. I only did both because I was thinking the direct sunlight would damage the sensor.

I have taken night time shoots with up to 3min exposures and did not get much noise for some reason. The entire point of the ND filter was to be able to get that nice look to the water. I watched a vieo of a guy using one that did a 2 min exposure to get that perfect glassy look. He set the camera at F/22 and 100 ISO in order to get that long, and it was an overcast day if I remember. I knew I would not get that long on a sunny day. I thought I had long exposure noise on but i checked and it was not. I reset the cmaera settinga couple of day ago and forgot about it.

I will go back and try agian without filters and see and try a different area. I figured maybe I damaged the camera is why the pics did not come out right.
Try metering off the sky or even the foreground (exposure lock button). Metering off the sun is probably bumping up the shutter speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post
That's not a 9-stop ND. Not at those settings.
Hard to say, it looks like the camera is metering right off the sun, so the SS without a filter would be something like 1/300".
Edited by GoneTomorrow - 10/9/11 at 11:12am
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Not at f/22 + ISO100 for 15 seconds. At that time of day the sun moves so rapidly that it would be a pretty sizable streak.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
It is a Hoya ND400 and I checked in the papers it came with and on their site and it says it is a 9 stop. I called the camera store I bought it from and asked if I should be able to see anything through it at those settings and they said yes in bright sun light I will still. On a cloudy overcast day it will be much darker. I have a B+W 10 stop coming and I will compare though. IF it is significantly lighter than the BW 10 stop then I will take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post
Not at f/22 + ISO100 for 15 seconds. At that time of day the sun moves so rapidly that it would be a pretty sizable streak.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
I will try that today. Should I use any filters at all though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Try metering off the sky or even the foreground (exposure lock button). Metering off the sun is probably bumping up the shutter speed.



Hard to say, it looks like the camera is metering right off the sun, so the SS without a filter would be something like 1/300".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Tried to get some sunset shots, not happy