Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Dropping Surround in Favor of 30" Monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dropping Surround in Favor of 30" Monitor - Page 2

post #11 of 29
The input lag on the u3011. Well it's noticeable if you play shooters with twitch motions. It's 24ms, that's a bit. Plenty of people out there who are bothered by that, some who can't even notice it no matter how hard they try. If you can return it hassle free, then it's worth a try because of the extra options it brings over the ZR30w, like the scaler and the OSD. If you find it too slow, return it and get the ZR30w.

Booty warrior. Even though the input lag on the hz27wa is decent, it's not low. That's the wrong model you're thinking of. That has a scaler and an OSD. The hz27wc is the one with low input lag, missing scaler, and such. Otherwise they are the same. TFTcentral has a review comparing both if you're interested, OP.
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash View Post
In reading over your link, it looks like they are just releasing two new 27" models. Do you know if a new 30" release, similar to the HZ27WA, is imminent? It's personal preference, but I really do like to get as much vertical space as possible - the same reason why I chose Portrait over Landscape mode in Surround.
Well there is the classic HZ30Wi, but that's a wide gamut, CCFL monitor and a bit more expensive. Still, it is very comparable to Dell and HP's top offerings and is sports a full 2560x1600 res.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did update their 30" lineup with slimmer/less expensive LED models like the H27WA, but I couldn't say when.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post

Booty warrior. Even though the input lag on the hz27wa is decent, it's not low. That's the wrong model you're thinking of. That has a scaler and an OSD. The hz27wc is the one with low input lag, missing scaler, and such. Otherwise they are the same. TFTcentral has a review comparing both if you're interested, OP.
Hmm? I didn't directly reference the WA or WC. The review I linked compares both models.
Edited by Booty Warrior - 10/9/11 at 11:45am
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobsta1109 View Post
My single 580 actually does surprisingly well at 2560x1600. I play basically every game at max still and even the BF3 beta I play at a mix of ultra/high with great fps. I do plan on getting another 580 just because, but one 580 will certainly suffice for gaming on a 30.

PS: 30's are the way to go man, I had eyefinity before and it doesn't compare to a 30. You won't regret the transition.

edit: Input lag on the U3011 isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I went from a 5ms 24" to this 3011 and can't tell a bit of difference.
Excellent! It's looking like two-way is the way to go. Although I would be sad to see it go, it would go a long way in helping to pay for the monitor.

And yes, to your point, even with my single 24" monitor, I'm readjusting but I like not having the bezels in my way and the monitor always turning on when it's supposed to.

Maybe I will revisit Surround/Eyefinity again at a later time when some of the bugs get ironed out, and the bezels become super thin without being on a TN panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
The input lag on the u3011. Well it's noticeable if you play shooters with twitch motions. It's 24ms, that's a bit. Plenty of people out there who are bothered by that, some who can't even notice it no matter how hard they try. If you can return it hassle free, then it's worth a try because of the extra options it brings over the ZR30w, like the scaler and the OSD. If you find it too slow, return it and get the ZR30w.

Booty warrior. Even though the input lag on the hz27wa is decent, it's not low. That's the wrong model you're thinking of. That has a scaler and an OSD. The hz27wc is the one with low input lag, missing scaler, and such. Otherwise they are the same. TFTcentral has a review comparing both if you're interested, OP.
Nice! It seems like the input lag is kind of blown out of proportion. It was certainly one of the most eye catching comments when I did my research.

I have a feeling coming from triple NEC 2470WNX-BK and an LG L246WP-BN (all VA based panels), the input lag should be similar if not better compared to any of the newer 30" panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
Well there is the classic HZ30Wi, but that's a wide gamut, CCFL monitor and a bit more expensive. Still, it is very comparable to Dell and HP's top offerings and is sports a full 2560x1600 res.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did update their 30" lineup with slimmer/less expensive LED models like the H27WA, but I couldn't say when.

Edit:
Hmm? I didn't directly reference the WA or WC. The review I linked compares both models.
Ah ok. I will keep those 27" Hazro's in mind then. I did see the HZ30Wi on their main page though and for $1000, it still is an interesting candidate. Here's hoping that they follow suit with a similar 30" in their new IPS lineup.

Apologies - I'm the one who said HZ27WA instead of the WC.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 29
Rocstarbla, it your 24" had a quoted response time of 5ms, does not equal input lag

Booty warrior, sorry, thought you did say wa. . My mistake.

covertrash, you should look up reviews of your current monitors online. Most proper reviews have a section about input lag (usually near the part about the ghosting). If your current one has anything above the 24ms average of the u3011, you should be fine.
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 29
I myself am running a Samsung 305T and a single hd6970 @2560x1600 It runs everything I play just fine and the color is absolutely amazing! The only cons I have for this one is it only has a single dual link dvi and a usb hub No other connections for input at all. And it has NO OSD only a brightness control. But this thing performs amazingly I have 0 input lag issues and no ghosting its really a amazing monitor. But I'm personally looking to get something smaller that weighs less I like to lan a lot so hauling this thing around every other week is a bit of a pain. But not bad for $600 on craigslist =D
5ghz =)
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k @ 5ghz Gigabyte P67a-UD3-B3 ATI HD 6970 4Gb Patriot ddr3 1333mhz. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 60gb Mushkin SSD Raid-0, 1tb spinpoint Lg DvD Burner. windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10, Centos 5. 30'' Samsung 305T 2560x1600 =D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell 610watt PcPower&Cooling Ha f932 Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
5ghz =)
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k @ 5ghz Gigabyte P67a-UD3-B3 ATI HD 6970 4Gb Patriot ddr3 1333mhz. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 60gb Mushkin SSD Raid-0, 1tb spinpoint Lg DvD Burner. windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10, Centos 5. 30'' Samsung 305T 2560x1600 =D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell 610watt PcPower&Cooling Ha f932 Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
Rocstarbla, it your 24" had a quoted response time of 5ms, does not equal input lag

Booty warrior, sorry, thought you did say wa. . My mistake.

covertrash, you should look up reviews of your current monitors online. Most proper reviews have a section about input lag (usually near the part about the ghosting). If your current one has anything above the 24ms average of the u3011, you should be fine.
LOL! "covertrash"! I really should ask to see if the MODs can allow me to add a space between "covert" and "ash" - kinda regret not putting one there in the first place.

Anyway, I was only able to find a review on the NEC, and PRAD pegged it at around 33ms:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/revie...Responsiveness

In my experience, the LG is a bit more responsive. An un-official comparison here seems to confirm that it is around 22ms:

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

So for the most part, it looks like the U3011 shouldn't be a problem lag-wise, which is a relief to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeko2 View Post
I myself am running a Samsung 305T and a single hd6970 @2560x1600 It runs everything I play just fine and the color is absolutely amazing! The only cons I have for this one is it only has a single dual link dvi and a usb hub No other connections for input at all. And it has NO OSD only a brightness control. But this thing performs amazingly I have 0 input lag issues and no ghosting its really a amazing monitor. But I'm personally looking to get something smaller that weighs less I like to lan a lot so hauling this thing around every other week is a bit of a pain. But not bad for $600 on craigslist =D
Yeah, I really have to start stalking Craigslist as that's where I found some really good deals in the past. Sadly, it seems like everyone close to me is no longer offering anything like this anymore.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 29
I got my 30 for $700 shipped on ebay, it was refurbished and was the best upgrade I could buy.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post
Hi mate, curious what made you decide portrait mode on smaller 23ins screens? Sort of thing you'd expect to see on 26ins+ in my experience.
23s aint definitely small in the world of computers . I hate landscape, portrait is much much better imo. Only downside is the left monitor is a bit dark but that's because it darkens from the top (in this case from its right side). Since I have a modified stand, its worse, only way to help is to increase the brightness. But I'm thinking of getting an Ergotech triple stand. I just can't bare to pay more than $200 for a monitor and 3240x1920 is a nice shape, especially for my limited desk space
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post
23s aint definitely small in the world of computers . I hate landscape, portrait is much much better imo. Only downside is the left monitor is a bit dark but that's because it darkens from the top (in this case from its right side). Since I have a modified stand, its worse, only way to help is to increase the brightness. But I'm thinking of getting an Ergotech triple stand. I just can't bare to pay more than $200 for a monitor and 3240x1920 is a nice shape, especially for my limited desk space
That color shift is because of the TN panel. Which is why so many people desire using IPS panels for 3x portrait. So they can move their heads and not have the image shift colors.
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
Rocstarbla, it your 24" had a quoted response time of 5ms, does not equal input lag

Booty warrior, sorry, thought you did say wa. . My mistake.

covertrash, you should look up reviews of your current monitors online. Most proper reviews have a section about input lag (usually near the part about the ghosting). If your current one has anything above the 24ms average of the u3011, you should be fine.

Yes your right I suppose about the response time and input lag. At any rate, the change from my dell 24" to the 30 was imperceptible as far as input lag is concerned. and Rocstarbla??? I like it
Big Black v2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus 980Ti Strix 32gb Corsair LPX 2800MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
PNY 480GB SSD  Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 custom loop Windows 10 Pro Samsung JU6500 4k 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U3011 Corsair HX-1000 Corsair 780T 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Black v2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus 980Ti Strix 32gb Corsair LPX 2800MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
PNY 480GB SSD  Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 custom loop Windows 10 Pro Samsung JU6500 4k 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U3011 Corsair HX-1000 Corsair 780T 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Dropping Surround in Favor of 30" Monitor