Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Discussion/News thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ivy Bridge Discussion/News thread - Page 57  

Poll Results: What are you getting?

 
  • 23% (83)
    Sandy Bridge-E
  • 62% (221)
    Ivy Bridge
  • 14% (52)
    Haswell or future
356 Total Votes  
post #561 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

I really wanted to read ^ that. I have a no punctuation aversion though.


enjoy.
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
post #562 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

IB will be better than SB...but not by much (i think like 10% and a little bit more overclocking; nothing you will ever notice tbh)..if you can't wait get the i5 2500k..its more than enough..and the IB won't be much better. However, if you are only really upgrading because of the heatsink....and not because you need to upgrade right now...i say wait. I'm actually in the same situation as you...I bought a new heatsink (Corsair A70 for $20, a new monitor, new speakers, new mouse, new sound card)....i can use all of this right now except for the heatsink.....im planning on letting it sit until April....i don't really NEED an upgrade right now...so i figure i might as well wait for IB....SB is a year old already....and i haven't upgraded anything in 4 years....so whats 5 or months going to do? I personally HATE buyer's remorse...i like to have the newest stuff even if it's marginal better (and should cost around the same)...since i use it for a longtime....but that's me.

Thanks. I can wait, as I have no problems with what I do or games, I just feel like it's an obligatory upgrade, if you know what I mean. The only thing is, aren't new on the market cpu's full of bugs or lesser than the ones that are made down the road? Like, isn't today's SB better than last January's SB?
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
post #563 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

(IIRC)We don't know what features the IB chipset will have over Z68. In your situation, getting a 1155 board will mean a drop in with IB later, and when it becomes economical for you, you can purchased a Z77 board to put the IB cpu into biggrin.gif.
Buy now, upgrade later biggrin.gif

Gah, that uncertainty is the problem. I don't want to invest much in a mobo now if it'll be much better later. Same with Cpu. If I buy an 1155 mobo now, i wouldn't get another one later really.
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
post #564 of 1172
Question, what was the price of the i5 2500k when it came out? was it near what it is now($200)? If so, I think I could go high end mobo now, 2500k now, and IB equivilent later due to the fact that price levels at intel are usually the same. After evaluation my funds just now(counting my money), I think that's feasible.
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
post #565 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shfvingle View Post

Question, what was the price of the i5 2500k when it came out? was it near what it is now($200)? If so, I think I could go high end mobo now, 2500k now, and IB equivilent later due to the fact that price levels at intel are usually the same. After evaluation my funds just now(counting my money), I think that's feasible.

It was 200. either 195 or 205, I can't remember.

Get one used, I got a guaranteed good overclocker for $180

You don't need to spend a lot on a mobo -_-

Just get one with PCI-E 3 and you're good.
post #566 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shfvingle View Post

Thanks. I can wait, as I have no problems with what I do or games, I just feel like it's an obligatory upgrade, if you know what I mean. The only thing is, aren't new on the market cpu's full of bugs or lesser than the ones that are made down the road? Like, isn't today's SB better than last January's SB?

I know exactly what you mean. I even bought an i5 2500k and mobo like 2 weeks ago, but decided to return it. I felt I HAD to upgrade because I got the upgrade fever and started to buy a lot of new hardware. I wanted everything to be new, not just some things!

This is what I did: I decided to keep everything that I KNEW I would have bought later (no better hardware going to be released by then) and returned everything that would or might get trumped in my purchase decision by 2012 April. Does that make sense?

I also made sure what I planned to keep could be used today or at least was too good of a deal to pass up (the heatsink). Using those 2 filters, I bought the stuff I mentioned before (also picked up a good 750w PSU for $55). And in April, I plan on picking up a new mobo, IB CPU, and graphic card due to the many new releases.

I actually have a SSD right now, but I haven't decided whether I want to return it or not. I CAN use it today, but I am not sure if I would still be buying it in April 2012 - need to think about it a little more. Lastly, I am currently thinking about whether I should pick up some RAM right now or later (they are so cheap!! 16gb for $60!).

That's my current game plan. tongue.gif
Edited by malikq86 - 11/28/11 at 7:11pm
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
post #567 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shfvingle View Post

Question, what was the price of the i5 2500k when it came out?

Pretty much the same as it is now. I got mine for $179.99 + tax back in January, and Microcenter is still selling it for that price.
post #568 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

It was 200. either 195 or 205, I can't remember.
Get one used, I got a guaranteed good overclocker for $180
You don't need to spend a lot on a mobo -_-
Just get one with PCI-E 3 and you're good.

Where would you recommend finding a used cpu? Here?
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
post #569 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shfvingle View Post

Question, what was the price of the i5 2500k when it came out? was it near what it is now($200)? If so, I think I could go high end mobo now, 2500k now, and IB equivilent later due to the fact that price levels at intel are usually the same. After evaluation my funds just now(counting my money), I think that's feasible.

Yeah don't go too crazy with a mobo...a lot of good option under $150. If you don't mind trying to sell your 2500k later, then yeah go for it - why not. Also, if you have a Microcenter near you - you will save a ton. You can get a 2500k for $150 and a Mobo (that will work with IB) for like $60 after combo deal/rebate.

EDIT: lol, looks like my local MC sold out of i5 2500k..not showing up on website. People must of went crazy with that $149 deal.
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
reQuiem
(16 items)
 
  
post #570 of 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

I know exactly what you mean. I even bought an i5 2500k and mobo like 2 weeks ago, but decided to return it. I felt I HAD to upgrade because I got the upgrade fever and started to buy a lot of new hardware. I wanted everything to be new, not just some things!
This is what I did: I decided to keep everything that I KNEW I would have bought later (no better hardware going to be released by then) and returned everything that would or might get trumped in my purchase decision by 2012 April. Does that make sense?
I also made sure what I planned to keep could be used today or at least was too good of a deal to pass up (the heatsink). Using those 2 filters, I bought the stuff I mentioned before (also picked up a good 750w PSU for $55). And in April, I plan on picking up a new mobo, SB CPU, and graphic card due to the many new releases.
I actually have a SSD right now, but I haven't decided whether I want to return it or not. I CAN use it today, but I am not sure if I would still be buying it in April 2012 - need to think about it a little more. Lastly, I am currently thinking about whether I should pick up some RAM right now or later (they are so cheap!! 16gb for $60!).
That's my current game plan. tongue.gif

Now that I think about, I can make $200 fairly quickly enough that to have to spend it again wouldnt be a huge setback. Just a shame to have to set that aside once I get Ivy. Though I'll probably pawn it to a friend...
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
It. Gets. Better.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k@4.6Ghz ASUS P8Z68/Gen3 Radeon HD 5870 16 GB G.skill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
750GB Hitachi Crucial M4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Corsair TX 650 HAF X 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Discussion/News thread