Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › My Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD First Impressions

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
I picked up a Titanium HD from Best Buy San Jose today for $47.99 and I thought I would share my initial thoughts with you guys after a few hours of listening to music and gaming. I am coming from a regular Titanium sound card. My headphones are AD700's.

Here are the main differences:

- Better up/down positioning. I noticed this in BF3. With the regular Titanium, you cannot differentiate a sound very well if it is coming from below you (downstairs in a building) or behind you/right next to you. With the HD, it is easier to differentiate the noises. Also when a Jet flies overhead, it is easier to tell exactly how high the jet is.

- Handles high frequencies better. When bullets flew past me in BF3, I got a little bit of a muddy, sharp tone with the Titanium. With the HD the sound is a lot more crisp and clear. They almost sound realistic!

- More realistic sounds. At one point I was going to get a tank in BF3 when it exploded when I was right next to me, and I jumped a little IRL (using HD). The sound was extremely realistic! I RPG'd a tank with my regular Titanium and the sound was still very realistic but it was different that the HD sound. Something was definitely off.

- Easier to pinpoint where footsteps are coming from. I used MW2 for the PC to test this. It was easier to tell exactly how far people were from you, and in what direction they were.

- Music quality: The music quality is a little richer than the regular Titanium. It handles higher frequencies better. I listened to some high quality metal tracks and the highs were clearer and more vibrant than the regular Titanium. The bass was the same for the most part

- Movies: For this I used one of the Bourne movies that we had at home, and watched 3 smalls sections. For the most part they sounded the same, except for two things. During the scene where the sniper shoots the guy at the train station, the loading and setting-up of the weapon sounds slightly different, and the high pitched clicking is more easily heard through the background music. Also during one of the explosion scenes, the clarity of the explosion just sounded better with the HD.

- Physical things: Well for one, you can have multiple sources hooked up to the HD, but you can only have one sound output connected to the regular Titanium. You can also change the Op-Amps on the HD. The dark cover is a plus since it will not get as dusty. Also, it looks a hell of a lot sexier!


That's all I have for now. I have only had the card for like 6 hours, but it is a great card so far. For $47.99 it was a steal.
Edited by ComradeNF - 10/9/11 at 10:40pm
post #2 of 43
Great first impressions. Convinced me to get one!
i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @4.5ghz Classified GTX 470 triple SLI 6GB Kingston Hyperx 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
2x 2TB Samsung 2x3tb Hitachi 5x DVD RW 3x24" 1200w Silverstone 
Case
what case? 
  hide details  
Reply
i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @4.5ghz Classified GTX 470 triple SLI 6GB Kingston Hyperx 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
2x 2TB Samsung 2x3tb Hitachi 5x DVD RW 3x24" 1200w Silverstone 
Case
what case? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
I picked up a Titanium HD from Best Buy San Jose today for $47.99 and I thought I would share my initial thoughts with you guys after a few hours of listening to music and gaming. I am coming from a regular Titanium sound card. My headphones are AD700's.

Here are the main differences:

- Better up/down positioning. I noticed this in BF3. With the regular Titanium, you cannot differentiate a sound very well if it is coming from below you (downstairs in a building) or behind you/right next to you. With the HD, it is easier to differentiate the noises. Also when a Jet flies overhead, it is easier to tell exactly how high the jet is.

- Handles high frequencies better. When bullets flew past me in BF3, I got a little bit of a muddy, sharp tone with the Titanium. With the HD the sound is a lot more crisp and clear. They almost sound realistic!

- More realistic sounds. At one point I was going to get a tank in BF3 when it exploded when I was right next to me, and I jumped a little IRL (using HD). The sound was extremely realistic! I RPG'd a tank with my regular Titanium and the sound was still very realistic but it was different that the HD sound. Something was definitely off.

- Easier to pinpoint where footsteps are coming from. I used MW2 for the PC to test this. It was easier to tell exactly how far people were from you, and in what direction they were.

- Music quality: The music quality is a little richer than the regular Titanium. It handles higher frequencies better. I listened to some high quality metal tracks and the highs were clearer and more vibrant than the regular Titanium. The bass was the same for the most part

- Movies: For this I used one of the Bourne movies that we had at home, and watched 3 smalls sections. For the most part they sounded the same, except for two things. During the scene where the sniper shoots the guy at the train station, the loading and setting-up of the weapon sounds slightly different, and the high pitched clicking is more easily heard through the background music. Also during one of the explosion scenes, the clarity of the explosion just sounded better with the HD.


That's all I have for now. I have only had the card for like 6 hours, but it is a great card so far. For $47.99 it was a steal.
wow where in the world did you get it for 47.99? also nice review/impressions now i want one
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 43
Thread Starter 
Forgot to mention, I will have an unboxing video up in 30 minutes. It is currently being uploaded onto YouTube. 1080p video takes forever to upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labbu63 View Post
wow where in the world did you get it for 47.99? also nice review/impressions now i want one
http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...tanium-hd.html
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
Forgot to mention, I will have an unboxing video up in 30 minutes. It is currently being uploaded onto YouTube. 1080p video takes forever to upload.



http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...tanium-hd.html
yeah just saw it to bad i do not have a car
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 43
Thread Starter 

Unboxing uploaded

post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
Sweet now you're doin reviews!

"Best Buy's retarded."

lol
post #8 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster View Post
Sweet now you're doin reviews!

"Best Buy's retarded."

lol
Best Buy is retarded . A few months ago I was browsing their laptops and I overheard one of their employees telling a customer that a Core2Duo laptop was faster than the i5 laptop with HT just so they could get rid of their inventory.

And their prices suck too. $220 for a 5770? Come on... Come on Best Buy...
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
Best Buy is retarded . A few months ago I was browsing their laptops and I overheard one of their employees telling a customer that a Core2Duo laptop was faster than the i5 laptop with HT just so they could get rid of their inventory.
Wow...never trust best buy employees...
post #10 of 43
If only I could hook up my 5.1 speakers somehow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › My Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD First Impressions