Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App - Page 11

post #101 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post
What are they being screwed out of, exactly? It was a free service. You can't be screwed out of something you never owned. They bought the company for the technology, and they gave legacy users a break and let them use there voice processing servers for free. Are they supposed to keep paying to keep servers online without compensation? Would you be perfectly okay with it if the developers shut down the servers and then Apple decided to buy them?

If someone gives you a free lunch for a year, but then the next year decides to start charging you for them, you didn't get screwed out of anything. Just because you feel entitled to something, doesn't mean you actually are
Air is free. Would you feel screwed if I put a plastic bag on your head though? Just saying.
Edited by kweechy - 11/2/11 at 12:58am
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314 View Post
Did you even read my post?
Yeah, several times actually. Did you read mine thoroughly?
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314 View Post
Did you even read my post?
Doesn't seem like it. Don't bother man. It just goes in circles.

Apple is the best!
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
Doesn't seem like it. Don't bother man. It just goes in circles.

Apple is the best!
Don't be trollin' me. As I said, I read his post several times and wonder if he actually read mine (thoroughly). I made some relevant points whether you think it or not.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
You could argue that the free app should've remained on the App Store, but ultimately Apple doesn't want any confusion. (Let's not forget who we're talking about here, Apple's all about simplicity, even for the most technologically illiterate.)
The only reason Apple removed it from the App store is because they wanted it to be solely available on the 4S, NOT because the iPhone 4 couldn't run it, or to avoid "confusion".

What is so confusing about downloading the Siri app and running it on an iPhone 4?

Clearly, it has been demonstrated that the hardware is FULLY capable, so the only reason to take it away is to force people to upgrade to the 4S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
There's absolutely no gain for Apple in keeping the version of Siri on the App Store, in fact they'd have to pay money (although I've no idea how much) to maintain the services the App uses. They don't want people "settling" for the Siri on the App Store, and nor do they want them using it to get an idea of how well Siri on the 4S might work, or confusing the two.
The only gain is monetary. To force iPhone 4 owners to to buy the iPhone 4S, if they wanted that "best feature" that it comes with. ( That's straight from Apple's keynote. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
You might say they could change the name, yet news everywhere would report that it's been reintroduced as "such and such". And I'd guarantee you that the complaint in these threads would be "Apple just renamed it and put it on the 4S as a new feature".
There's no need to rename it.

It was available on the App store, they could've added the upgraded version there too. Hey, they could've even charged for it. But $5 is no comparison to the $400+ they make on iPhone 4S sales.

Again, you'll make poor excuses for why Apple does what it does, but the answer is simple. They do what they do to milk their customers out of as much money as possible. End of story.

You rank Apple higher on your lists of interests over Tennis, and programming ( which is supposed to be your occupation ) and it truly shows.


Edited by 2010rig - 11/2/11 at 1:34am
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweechy View Post
Air is free. Would you feel screwed if I put a plastic bag on your head though? Just saying.
What are you saying, exactly? Because yes, yes I would be feel screwed over

Those are also different kinds of "free". I don't know if you're aware of this or not, I'm guessing not by the way you speak, but some words have multiple meanings

Educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre
post #107 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
The only reason Apple removed it from the App store is because they wanted it to be solely available on the 4S, NOT because the iPhone 4 couldn't run it, or to avoid "confusion".
Yet, the version on the App Store isn't anywhere near as powerful as the version on the 4S. The former was dumbed down to run on a 3G and consequently was much slower, and obviously had significantly less access to the system. The latter, has had a year and a half or so of improvement.
Quote:
What is so confusing about downloading the Siri app and running it on an iPhone 4?

Clearly, it has been demonstrated that the hardware is FULLY capable, so the only reason to take it away is to force people to upgrade to the 4S.
That's one reason, to promote the 4S, but it isn't the only reason.
Quote:
The only gain is monetary. To force iPhone 4 owners to to buy the iPhone 4S, if they wanted that "best feature" that it comes with. ( That's straight from Apple's keynote. )
You misunderstood what I wrote: what gain is there for them to continue listing the Siri app? They pay money to rent/maintain the servers that it needs and make nothing off it. They could make it a paid app, but then there would be an uproar about Apple making it a paid app when it was free originally.
Quote:
There's no need to rename it.

It was available on the App store, they could've added the upgraded version there too. Hey, they could've even charged for it. But $5 is no comparison to the $400+ they make on iPhone 4S sales.

Again, you'll make poor excuses for why Apple does what it does, but the answer is simple. They do what they do to milk their customers out of as much money as possible. End of story.
Oh, that makes it confusing. Siri, Siri Plus, and Siri on the 4S.

Apple is all about simplicity. It's not confusing for you, or for me, but it will be for a lot of their consumers. Are we forgetting who a significant portion of Apple's users are? People who are technologically illiterate.
Quote:
You rank Apple higher on your lists of interests over Tennis, and programming ( which is supposed to be your occupation ) and it truly shows.
<snip>
Firstly, I disagree with you, and strongly I might add, yet I don't insult you for it or troll you yet you do it to me.

Secondly, you assume I rank them by priority. If I had to choose between playing tennis every hour of every day, instead of posting on these forums, I'd do it in a heart beat. Whilst I love PC games, Mac's, iPhone's, and iPad's, and arguing about Apple related technology (and some others), I love tennis over a hundred fold more and in fact, I was planning on doing it as a career but was forced to pull out for health reasons. Did you ever even stop to think perhaps I put Apple first because I'm on a forum that talks about technology and computers? (I'm not saying I did, and in fact I can't remember, but it's a likely possibility yet you chose to believe the worst, or at least what you wanted to believe.)

So, stop it already.

EDIT: Did you ever even stop to think perhaps I put Apple first because I'm on a forum that talks about technology and computers? (I'm not saying I did, and in fact I can't remember, but it's a likely possibility yet you chose to believe the worst, or at least what you wanted to believe.)
Edited by steelbom - 11/2/11 at 3:12am
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post
What are you saying, exactly? Because yes, yes I would be feel screwed over

Those are also different kinds of "free". I don't know if you're aware of this or not, I'm guessing not by the way you speak, but some words have multiple meanings

Educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre
I'm just saying that you can't justify people losing out on a free software utility by simply saying "it was free, too bad, so sad".

Quote:
Apple is all about simplicity.
Correction here, Apple is about profit. If simplicity brings in the most money, simplicity it is.

It is quite apparent in this case that Siri would run fine on iP4 and that this is an artificial way to create 4S demand.
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 116
Y'all need to learn what the word "troll" actually means.

Seriously.
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweechy View Post
Correction here, Apple is about profit. If simplicity brings in the most money, simplicity it is.

It is quite apparent in this case that Siri would run fine on iP4 and that this is an artificial way to create 4S demand.
Every company is about profit. But Apple has a running theme across iOS that is purely about simplicity whereas Android seems quite focused on customisation and options.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App