Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App - Page 12

post #111 of 116
The anti apple crowd is making an argument just to argue. (against who, not one person believes that there were insurmountable technical hurdles in putting Siri on the ip4)

Apple is not a charity, yet they take care of their customers better than every other computer and phone company. Proof? look at every independent survey of customer satisfaction. JD power, Consumer Reports, etc.

To quote, "jJust because you feel entitled to something, doesn't mean you actually are"

Why would anyone make the analogy that apple is committing murder by improving the flagship product? Yes the 4s is the highest tier, yes if you want siri you need one of those.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/featu...-of-fanboyism/
post #112 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweechy View Post
I'm just saying that you can't justify people losing out on a free software utility by simply saying "it was free, too bad, so sad".
Why the hell not? It's software, not a right. Besides, it's not like Apple is going into people's phones and deleting it. It was an app that required outside resources, servers, for it to work. Are you saying Apple is obligated to keep paying for those resources so people can keep continuing to use it for free? You're even more entitled than I thought...
post #113 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
The anti apple crowd is making an argument just to argue.
This.

I'm no Apple fanatic (My only Apple device is a heavily modified 160gb iPod classic - now 256gb, and with a better output stage, and custom software) This isn't to say I haven't used Apple products in the past, or that they are inferior, they just aren't suitable for my needs. I know, its just like Windows vs Linux for some people, if you really want to, and you take your time, Linux can do everything you want. So can Windows, and similarly with OSX. Personally, I find that Linux has more of the features readily available that I use out of the 'box.'

The common misunderstanding in this thread can be summarized like so:

1.) There was a "beta" version of Siri available for free on the App store. (It is NOT the same as the iPhone 4s Siri.

2.) Someone managed to modify the iPhone 4s software including siri to work on the iPhone 4 (NOT USING THE APP STORE VERSION)

3.) Apple discontinued the APP store version of Siri probably to increase sales, and avoid misjudgment of the final Siri product by confusing it with the developmental version - all in one swoop.

The problem is everyone is packaging these 3 separate things into one event. Everyone is assuming the Siri from the APP store is the same as the Siri thats on the 4s and that the App store version was modified to work just the same as the 4s version on the iPhone 4 (or something along those lines) and that they are identical pieces of software. This is wrong. Furthermore people are assuming (and rightfully so) that Apple is discontinuing support for the APP store version of Siri purely for profitable reasons (not unlikely).

All of that said: I still don't like Apple as a company, and I don't like iOS or Mac OSX, and Steve Jobs was a wacko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
Apple is not a charity, yet they take care of their customers better than every other computer and phone company. Proof? look at every independent survey of customer satisfaction. JD power, Consumer Reports, etc.
I completely and utterly disagree with this. Yes, yes I know you said to look at customer satisfaction surveys. The question is how biased are the results of those surveys, MANY Apple customers [NOTE: NOT ALL.] are simply mindless drones of the Mac lifestyle and will only sing the praises of the product they own and never speak of any of the minor inconveniences they encounter since it might damage the product image. (See: iPhone 4 Antenna-gate, initial OSX release crashes, lack of memory in desktop computers until recent years, poor storage configuration in the high end workstation field until recent years) Yet all of those products, even given their small flaws got rave reviews, mostly due to mindless fandom. On the other hand, we have products like the Droid Bionic. This device was overhyped to begin with, and Motorola fanboys and Android fanatics couldn't WAIT to get their hands on it. And once they did, even the SMALLEST issues were reported and deducted at least 1 star from the rating. And now, even though Motorola is communicating (something Apple rarely does) about planned fixes for the device, customers are outraged at the proposed timeline. (even though they basically completely redesigned the phone 2 months before release and crammed as many features in as possible to get it out the door 'on time')
If you're on Apples side of the fence, there is no timeline - you are holding it wrong.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 116
Haha, so when you check if apple customers are satisfied... some arbitrary rule of yours says they shouldn't be counted. There happiness isn't "real".

That's hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post
This.

I'm no Apple fanatic (My only Apple device is a heavily modified 160gb iPod classic - now 256gb, and with a better output stage, and custom software) This isn't to say I haven't used Apple products in the past, or that they are inferior, they just aren't suitable for my needs. I know, its just like Windows vs Linux for some people, if you really want to, and you take your time, Linux can do everything you want. So can Windows, and similarly with OSX. Personally, I find that Linux has more of the features readily available that I use out of the 'box.'

The common misunderstanding in this thread can be summarized like so:

1.) There was a "beta" version of Siri available for free on the App store. (It is NOT the same as the iPhone 4s Siri.

2.) Someone managed to modify the iPhone 4s software including siri to work on the iPhone 4 (NOT USING THE APP STORE VERSION)

3.) Apple discontinued the APP store version of Siri probably to increase sales, and avoid misjudgment of the final Siri product by confusing it with the developmental version - all in one swoop.

The problem is everyone is packaging these 3 separate things into one event. Everyone is assuming the Siri from the APP store is the same as the Siri thats on the 4s and that the App store version was modified to work just the same as the 4s version on the iPhone 4 (or something along those lines) and that they are identical pieces of software. This is wrong. Furthermore people are assuming (and rightfully so) that Apple is discontinuing support for the APP store version of Siri purely for profitable reasons (not unlikely).

All of that said: I still don't like Apple as a company, and I don't like iOS or Mac OSX, and Steve Jobs was a wacko.



I completely and utterly disagree with this. Yes, yes I know you said to look at customer satisfaction surveys. The question is how biased are the results of those surveys, MANY Apple customers [NOTE: NOT ALL.] are simply mindless drones of the Mac lifestyle and will only sing the praises of the product they own and never speak of any of the minor inconveniences they encounter since it might damage the product image. (See: iPhone 4 Antenna-gate, initial OSX release crashes, lack of memory in desktop computers until recent years, poor storage configuration in the high end workstation field until recent years) Yet all of those products, even given their small flaws got rave reviews, mostly due to mindless fandom. On the other hand, we have products like the Droid Bionic. This device was overhyped to begin with, and Motorola fanboys and Android fanatics couldn't WAIT to get their hands on it. And once they did, even the SMALLEST issues were reported and deducted at least 1 star from the rating. And now, even though Motorola is communicating (something Apple rarely does) about planned fixes for the device, customers are outraged at the proposed timeline. (even though they basically completely redesigned the phone 2 months before release and crammed as many features in as possible to get it out the door 'on time')
If you're on Apples side of the fence, there is no timeline - you are holding it wrong.
post #115 of 116
Reading comprehension fail. I specifically said MANY - not all Apple customers were fanboys that would stand by the companies products regardless of any issues that presented themselves. That FACT could very heavily skew the results of the reviews you were using to reinforce your defense for Apple. Here I am defending your case and you blatantly insult me. Go iTroll somewhere else.

Also; how many companies out there do you know of that have the nerve to insult their user base by telling them they are simply not using their device properly and then admit the design flaw by fixing it in the next iteration of the device? I know of only one.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Edited by Xaero252 - 11/2/11 at 12:54pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post
Reading comprehension fail. I specifically said MANY - not all Apple customers were fanboys that would stand by the companies products regardless of any issues that presented themselves. That FACT could very heavily skew the results of the reviews you were using to reinforce your defense for Apple. Here I am defending your case and you blatantly insult me. Go iTroll somewhere else.

Also; how many companies out there do you know of that have the nerve to insult their user base by telling them they are simply not using their device properly and then admit the design flaw by fixing it in the next iteration of the device? I know of only one.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Apple offered anyone not satisfied a full refund. The return rate was very low. For a while the reimbursed users for 100% of the cost of a case. And they gave thousands of free bumper cases away. They stopped giving them away and still kept selling the phone, unchanged. That and the fact you talk to any ip4 user and they will probably tell you it's not a big deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Business Insider] Apple Has Already Killed The Original Siri App