Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5... - Page 9

post #81 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
No, I wouldn't like the same thing on my computer, because I'd rather have more freedom and customizability there. This is why I don't plan on buying a computer with OSX either. For my phone though, not having to worry about malicious (intentionally or not) software is a huge bonus. I don't have time or desire to research different apps to see how they might affect my phone in a negative way.

Agree with you on that - a selection of screen sizes would be optimal. Heck, it'd be nice if Apple came out with a stretched version with a bigger screen (but same res) for those who wanted it.

No, 3 years from now, I still won't need 4G. In fact, I'll probably need it even less than I do now, since even more places I go will have wifi. The only place I can think of that doesn't have wifi that I visit on a somewhat regular basis is my wife's workplace, but it's out of 4G range anyway AFAIK.

Quite honestly, 5 mbps (or whatever 3G is) is perfectly fine for me. Sure, I wouldn't mind 4G, but it's absolutely not a deal-breaker to me. If I made a pie-chart of all the things on a phone that matter to me, 3G vs 4G would be less than 1% of that pie.

EDIT: And I'd actually rather have the dual-configuration antenna for better reception with 3G than a single 4G antenna. Well, if it makes a significant difference in reception anyway.
If you want a cookie cutter phone that has limited customization and apps then a dumbed down smartphone such as the iPhone is a perfect choice for you. It just surprises me because most people on OCN don't fit into that category. 3G is not even close to 5 mbps, it can barely break 1 mbps. The point of a smartphone is to be able to receive data on the go, not just when your strapped to a WiFi network..

Apple won't come out with a bigger screen, which takes me back to my original point. The battery life is better because of a lack of features.
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
Claiming that you don't care about 4G sounds like typical Apple fanboyism to me. You say you don't need it now, but as soon as Apple decides to put it in 3 years too late you'll be touting how awesome it is.

Apple won't compromise all that battery life to have 4G right now, it's just silly to do so when the "4G" networks aren't even fully rolled out yet. I imagine the iPhone 5 will likely have 4G, but will also find a way to keep battery life similar to what we have now (with a die shrink to the processor for less power consumption most likely). This isn't about anyone being a fanboy such as you claim. For most people currently, 4G is just another check in a spec sheet, or a complete battery hog.


And about the screen size, yes it's just preference. I prefer the smaller sized phones, and appreciate being able to hold the phone in one hand and access the entire screen real estate with my thumb. It seemed much more awkward to do that on the larger phones for me.
post #83 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post

Apple won't come out with a bigger screen, which takes me back to my original point. The battery life is better because of a lack of features.
Apple won't release a phone with a larger screen because ergonomically a larger screen cannot be used with one hand well enough to render a good user experience.
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
I'm not at all surprised by the iPhone 4S's dominance in these benchmarks.

So now all the Apple haters can take the "under powered phone" argument out to the trash because it is clearly not accurate in any sense whatsoever.
Amen to that.
post #85 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsmasher View Post
Apple won't compromise all that battery life to have 4G right now, it's just silly to do so when the "4G" networks aren't even fully rolled out yet. I imagine the iPhone 5 will likely have 4G, but will also find a way to keep battery life similar to what we have now (with a die shrink to the processor for less power consumption most likely). This isn't about anyone being a fanboy such as you claim. For most people currently, 4G is just another check in a spec sheet, or a complete battery hog.
What about just having a 4G toggle switch widget like I do on my EVO 3D so you can turn it off to save battery life? Oh wait iOS doesn't have widgets.... they also use too much battery.
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Apple won't release a phone with a larger screen because ergonomically a larger screen cannot be used with one hand well enough to render a good user experience.
Or maybe because you when you hold your iPhone a certain way it drops calls.

But seriously who is Apple to tell me what fits ergonomically in my hands? Everyone has different size hands lmao.
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Yes, clearly it will be outdated in 3-4 months. Question: Do you get a new phone every 3-4 months? If not, you'll also be using an outdated phone.

So what's your point? All phones get outdated...

EDIT: And I'd actually rather have the dual-configuration antenna for better reception with 3G than a single 4G antenna. Well, if it makes a significant difference in reception anyway.
The iPhone only gets upgraded once every year. I actually have an upgrade now and I'm looking for a new phone. I was consdering getting an iPhone but the screen size/lack of 4G turned me away from this phone fairly quickly. I'm on Sprint and I only get 1-2Mb/s on 3G and 7-9Mb/s on WiMax. My point is Windows/Android phones have more features and there hardware wil surpass the iPhone in 3-4 months. For example Nexus Prime. Has a 4.6" screen and the resolution is 1280X720 I will be able to open powerpoints easily from my phone an not gt annoyed the screen is to small. If the Nexus Prime is going to be carried by sprint I wil get it for sure.

Also a 4" screen phone can easily be pulled from your pocket if your sitting down.
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
What about just having a 4G toggle switch widget like I do on my EVO 3D so you can turn it off to save battery life? Oh wait iOS doesn't have widgets.... they also use too much battery.
Maybe because Apple doesn't feel like its users should have to worry about toggling features on and off just to ensure the battery will make it through the day. Just a thought.
post #89 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsmasher View Post
Maybe because Apple doesn't feel like its users should have to worry about toggling features on and off just to ensure the battery will make it through the day. Just a thought.
WiFi? Bluetooth? GPS? Mobile Hotspot?
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
If you want a cookie cutter phone that has limited customization and apps then a dumbed down smartphone such as the iPhone is a perfect choice for you. It just surprises me because most people on OCN don't fit into that category. 3G is not even close to 5 mbps, it can barely break 1 mbps. The point of a smartphone is to be able to receive data on the go, not just when your strapped to a WiFi network..

Apple won't come out with a bigger screen, which takes me back to my original point. The battery life is better because of a lack of features.
Maybe if you have Verizon, you only hit 1mbps. Looks like AT&T hits more around 2-3mbps. (http://osxdaily.com/2011/02/03/veriz...ne-speed-test/) Regardless, I don't care what the numbers say - I'm just saying that 3G is sufficient for what I need. I've used it, and as long as I have 3 bars of signal, the speed is fine.

Apple's chart showed 3G at over 5mbps, so that's where I grabbed that number from. It's probably the "best conditions" speed.

And don't tell me what the point of a smartphone is. Obviously, you use it for data on the go for the most part. I use it for a more convenient computer when I have some downtime. I'm not on the go much, so the point of my smartphone is not necessarily to receive data on the go. Again, I only use the 200MB data plan, so it should be pretty obvious that I don't have much in the way of "on the go" data needs. I don't drive and watch movies at the same time or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
The iPhone only gets upgraded once every year. I actually have an upgrade now and I'm looking for a new phone. I was consdering getting an iPhone but the screen size/lack of 4G turned me away from this phone fairly quickly. I'm on Sprint and I only get 1-2Mb/s on 3G and 7-9Mb/s on WiMax. My point is Windows/Android phones have more features and there hardware wil surpass the iPhone in 3-4 months. For example Nexus Prime. Has a 4.6" screen and the resolution is 1280X720 I will be able to open powerpoints easily from my phone an not gt annoyed the screen is to small. If the Nexus Prime is going to be carried by sprint I wil get it for sure.

Also a 4" screen phone can easily be pulled from your pocket if your sitting down.
I know the iPhone only gets upgraded once a year. But my point is, that doesn't matter unless you buy a new phone more often than that. So unless you're upgrading your phone every 3-4 months, then it doesn't matter that a new Windows/Android phone comes out that often.

I do hear your point about 4G outdating the phone quickly though. Especially if you're on a slow service. Having 3G instead of 4G doesn't matter to me, but it could definitely matter to a lot of people.

Depends on your pocket size then - I have trouble enough with my 3G, but it's probably also because of the rubber case producing so much friction on the cloth of the pocket.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5...