Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5... - Page 10

post #91 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
If you want a cookie cutter phone that has limited customization and apps then a dumbed down smartphone such as the iPhone is a perfect choice for you. It just surprises me because most people on OCN don't fit into that category. 3G is not even close to 5 mbps, it can barely break 1 mbps. The point of a smartphone is to be able to receive data on the go, not just when your strapped to a WiFi network..

Apple won't come out with a bigger screen, which takes me back to my original point. The battery life is better because of a lack of features.
1 - No phone has limited customization if you hack and program it.

2 - The battery life isn't as improved as they'd have you think - talk time went up 1hr, but standby time went down 100hrs. So whether or not it really improved depends on how much you use it.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #92 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
If you want a cookie cutter phone that has limited customization and apps then a dumbed down smartphone such as the iPhone is a perfect choice for you. It just surprises me because most people on OCN don't fit into that category. 3G is not even close to 5 mbps, it can barely break 1 mbps. The point of a smartphone is to be able to receive data on the go, not just when your strapped to a WiFi network..

Apple won't come out with a bigger screen, which takes me back to my original point. The battery life is better because of a lack of features.
You're stereotyping 3G a bit, HSPDA is actually good for 7.2Mbps which even the iPhone 4 can do. The iPhone 4S has support for HSPDA 14.4 Mbps as well. If you're on a CMDA provider though, yes 3G maxes out at 3.1Mbps.
High Voltage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920 4.4GHZ Evga X58 3X SLI XFX RADEON HD 7970 6 gigs of ocz 1600 ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 60 gb phoenix pros raid 0 samsung W7 64 bit Corsair 950 TX 
Case
HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
High Voltage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920 4.4GHZ Evga X58 3X SLI XFX RADEON HD 7970 6 gigs of ocz 1600 ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 60 gb phoenix pros raid 0 samsung W7 64 bit Corsair 950 TX 
Case
HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #93 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1121 View Post
You're stereotyping 3G a bit, HSPDA is actually good for 7.2Mbps which even the iPhone 4 can do. The iPhone 4S has support for HSPDA 14.4 Mbps as well. If you're on a CMDA provider though, yes 3G maxes out at 3.1Mbps.
Those are theoretical speeds, not actual.
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ [3.8 GHz turbo] ASUS GL753VD Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [4GB DDR5] 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [17-17-17-39-2T] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitatchi 1 TB 7200RPM DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW Windows 10 x64 17.3" LED 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 180
May I reiterate that the browser benchmarks have been beaten by my devices, both stock and customized. So those numbers don't really mean much at this point.

But yes, the GPU of the A5 processor is still the one to beat. However, given the rapid pace at how Android OEMs upgrade their specs, the A5 will be overshadowed in mere months. Its superiority will someday be gone.

Also, regardin 3G/4G. Let me tell you, LTE is a fantastic service and is now being deployed across more areas and not just the US. Tried a Charge back then, hell I was able to download an HD movie off the net in mere minutes. Don't knock it till you try it.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
Those are theoretical speeds, not actual.
Yes, however the point is still you were stereotyping 3G speeds "not even close" to 5Mbps. They can and I've personally seen higher then 5 down.
High Voltage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920 4.4GHZ Evga X58 3X SLI XFX RADEON HD 7970 6 gigs of ocz 1600 ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 60 gb phoenix pros raid 0 samsung W7 64 bit Corsair 950 TX 
Case
HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
High Voltage
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920 4.4GHZ Evga X58 3X SLI XFX RADEON HD 7970 6 gigs of ocz 1600 ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 60 gb phoenix pros raid 0 samsung W7 64 bit Corsair 950 TX 
Case
HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
But yes, the GPU of the A5 processor is still the one to beat. However, given the rapid pace at how Android OEMs upgrade their specs, the A5 will be overshadowed in mere months. Its superiority will someday be gone.
As stated earlier, how often are you willing to buy a new phone? If you're in the market for a phone right now, the iPhone 4s is hard to beat. I suppose I could make the argument that people should wait mere months beyond the Nexus Prime because the iPhone 5 will outperform it, but that would be silly rationale.

Sounds to me like you're having a hard time swallowing the results of those graphs TBQH.
Edited by Foolsmasher - 10/11/11 at 2:54pm
post #97 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsmasher View Post
As stated earlier, how often are you willing to buy a new phone? If you're in the market for a phone right now, the iPhone 4s is hard to beat. I suppose I could make the argument that people should wait mere months beyond the Nexus Prime because the iPhone 5 will outperform it, but that would silly rationale.
The problem with your argument is that Apple releases its products on about a yearly basis, so people who want to upgrade will have to wait for the device to be released. Within that time period of waiting, Android OEMs would have already put out an average 3-5 mid/high-end models per brand, so customers can just pick one right away. And there's no limit to what these devices may carry, so they are generally the first to introduce hardware improvements.

For example, by next year we would have Tegra 3 Kal-El, ushering the era of quad-core mobile computing. Shortly afterwards, Qualcomm's Krait Snapdragon processor will be the first commercially available SoC manufactured using a 28nm process. Also by that time, Samsung would have already outed its Exynos 4212 for its next-gen Galaxy S devices. I mean, there's so much Android hardware can achieve over a span of time one Apple device will be introduced.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #98 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
But yes, the GPU of the A5 processor is still the one to beat. However, given the rapid pace at how Android OEMs upgrade their specs, the A5 will be overshadowed in mere months. Its superiority will someday be gone.
You could have said the same thing about the Galaxy SII being overshadowed by the iPhone in mere months a few months back too. And likewise, pretty much any phone is going to be overshadowed in a few months by another newly released phone. What's your point?
post #99 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
The problem with your argument is that Apple releases its products on about a yearly basis, so people who want to upgrade will have to wait for the device to be released. Within that time period of waiting, Android OEMs would have already put out an average 3-5 mid/high-end models per brand, so customers can just pick one right away. And there's no limit to what these devices may carry, so they are generally the first to introduce hardware improvements.

For example, by next year we would have Tegra 3 Kal-El, ushering the era of quad-core mobile computing. Shortly afterwards, Qualcomm's Krait Snapdragon processor will be the first commercially available SoC manufactured using a 28nm process. Also by that time, Samsung would have already outed its Exynos 4212 for its next-gen Galaxy S devices. I mean, there's so much Android hardware can achieve over a span of time one Apple device will be introduced.
If you already own an iPhone though, you're already synced up to Apple's yearly release plan. So it's kind of a moot point... At least for iPhone owners it is.
post #100 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
If you already own an iPhone though, you're already synced up to Apple's yearly release plan. So it's kind of a moot point... At least for iPhone owners it is.
IMO rapid release cycles by Android OEMs promote innovation through cutthroat competition.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech]iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5...