Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Lens compatability canon xs rebel D1000 EF vs EF-S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lens compatability canon xs rebel D1000 EF vs EF-S

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I am a beginner photographer.
I had always wanted to get into photography and after getting this Canon rebel XS as a gift i have been jumping in and learning the best i can. I have had the camera about 6 months.

I am finding my self needing more zoom as most of the pictures i take are out door more nature orientated.
This became more apparent to me when i went on a photo shoot with my friend and using his camera with a 55-300mm, i found my self most often at either 55mm, or over 200mm.(Nikon 5100)

I had started to look into lenses a while back but was unsure of what lens to get.

*I am not to the point where i need to get a lower (smaller) F stop for the aperture, a stock lens should suit me fine as "money is really an issue".

1. My questions are about an EF and an EF-S lens.
From what i am reading an EF lens though designed for a larger sensor camera will fit on my camera that has a cropped sensor, but that an EF-S lens will not fit on full frame sensor camera because the EF-S lens sits deeper into the camera body.
Here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/XSA4.HTM
Heading:Lens Compatibility

*Is this true about being able to use both EF and EF-S lenses?

*If i use an EF 55-300mm lens, will it actually be 55-300mm or will that change because the optics sit further from the sensor?

* I assume that an EF lens is less expensive and if i upgrade my camera in the future, i can still use the EF on the new camera, though the lens will be slightly heavier.

Thanks!

EDIT: If i get an EF i can get a 55-300mm. If i get an EF-S lens i would have to get a 55-250mm as that is what size they come in. Or would they both have the same zoom on this camera?

EDIT 2:
The EF lens may be 75-300mm.
The EF-S lense may be 55-250mm as my friend had a Nikon.
EF: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ef_lens_lineup
EF-S: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/page.a...pager.offset=0
Edited by micro5797 - 10/11/11 at 9:36am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
*I am not to the point where i need to get a lower (smaller) F stop for the aperture, a stock lens should suit me fine as "money is really an issue".
The cheapest constant aperture zoom lens I know of is the 70-200 f/4L, and that goes for $550 used. After that, there's the 70-200 f/2.8L, and that's $1000 used. If you're not willing to spend that sort of money, a constant large aperture lens is probably not a viable purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
1. My questions are about an EF and an EF-S lens.
From what i am reading an EF lens though designed for a larger sensor camera will fit on my camera that has a cropped sensor, but that an EF-S lens will not fit on full frame sensor camera because the EF-S lens sits deeper into the camera body.
Here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/XSA4.HTM
Right. The EF lenses are designed with full frame in mind (hence why some of the EF focal lengths are a bit longer than desired for APS-C cameras), but they work perfectly on cropped. The EF-S on the other hand are designed specifically for crop cameras, and are incompatible with full frame cameras.

That said, don't be afraid to buy EF-S lenses. If you do go FF in the future, lenses can resell for a good amount of money, and their value only goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
*Is this true about being able to use both EF and EF-S lenses?
Yeaup, as explained above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
*If i use an EF 55-300mm lens, will it actually be 55-300mm or will that change because the optics sit further from the sensor?
I think you mean the 55-250mm IS lens. I don't recall Canon ever making a 55-300mm. If they ever did, forget it; the 55-250mm IS is what you'd want. It's a great entry-level telephoto, and you can find one for ~$200 used.

And the focal length will not change because of how the optics are. The effective focal length does change based on the crop ratio, but it's not something you should really be too worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
* I assume that an EF lens is less expensive and if i upgrade my camera in the future, i can still use the EF on the new camera, though the lens will be slightly heavier.
It won't always be heavier or more expensive. You'll have to compare on a lens-by-lens basis.

That said, I'd just pick the lens that suits your needs the most, regardless of whether it's EF or EF-S. You can always resell later on in the future.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
EDIT: If i get an EF i can get a 55-300mm. If i get an EF-S lens i would have to get a 55-250mm as that is what size they come in. Or would they both have the same zoom on this camera?
Oh hey there is a 55-300mm.

The 55-300mm does have more reach on its tele end. That said, I'd still rather go with the 55-250mm. It has great optics for the money, IS, and it's a lens I've used myself and was fine with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
EDIT 2:
The EF lens may be 75-300mm.
The EF-S lense may be 55-250mm as my friend had a Nikon.
This is making more sense. Canon does make an EF 75-300mm and EF-S 55-250mm.

I'd go for the 55-250mm myself. I've used both lenses and disliked the IQ of the 75-300mm. Combined with the fact that IS is a useful tool to have when shooting tele, I'd definitely think the 55-250mm is a smarter buy.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
@r31ncarnat3d
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I know it was a somewhat lengthy read.

I will be buying used. I see EF's on Ebay buy now for $90+.
The EF-S go from $150+.

I will look into getting a 55-250mm.

It also makes sense in what you say that you will use the IS with a telephoto. I have noticed no difference with IS on my 18-55mm.

+ rep if i could.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
@r31ncarnat3d
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I know it was a somewhat lengthy read.

I will be buying used. I see EF's on Ebay buy now for $90+.
The EF-S go from $150+.

I will look into getting a 55-250mm.

It also makes sense in what you say that you will use the IS with a telephoto. I have noticed no difference with IS on my 18-55mm.

+ rep if i could.
Avoid Ebay. Long story short, I don't trust Ebay users and their ability to care for equipment.

Good places to look for camera gear will be KEH, FredMiranda, and PhotographyOnThe.Net. All three are full of sellers who know how to properly care for camera equipment, and often the prices are below Ebay prices.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post
@r31ncarnat3d
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I know it was a somewhat lengthy read.

I will be buying used. I see EF's on Ebay buy now for $90+.
The EF-S go from $150+.

I will look into getting a 55-250mm.

It also makes sense in what you say that you will use the IS with a telephoto. I have noticed no difference with IS on my 18-55mm.

+ rep if i could.
I was looking into the canon 55-250mm IS as well And r31ncarat3d sealed the deal. I will probably be waiting till around x-mas though. And sorry to ask a question in your thread but I have always been curious on how much zoom you actually get with these lenses. Can you take a close up picture of a bird 20ft away or what? I have yet to figure that out lol.
Darkness
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k asus z97-ar gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming G-Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Samsung EVO 840 Windows 8 Pro 64Bit Ultrasharp 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP W2338H 23" Black Widow Ultimate Corsair HK1000W Corsair 600T SE 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2 Zowie (Pure exellence) dt880 sound blaster recon3d 
Audio
swan m10 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k asus z97-ar gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming G-Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Samsung EVO 840 Windows 8 Pro 64Bit Ultrasharp 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP W2338H 23" Black Widow Ultimate Corsair HK1000W Corsair 600T SE 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2 Zowie (Pure exellence) dt880 sound blaster recon3d 
Audio
swan m10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post
I was looking into the canon 55-250mm IS as well And r31ncarat3d sealed the deal. I will probably be waiting till around x-mas though. And sorry to ask a question in your thread but I have always been curious on how much zoom you actually get with these lenses. Can you take a close up picture of a bird 20ft away or what? I have yet to figure that out lol.
Doing a rough estimation in my head, yeaup. 250 tele gives you a very good amount of reach.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
UPDATE

Thanks again for the helps.

I got the 55-250mm EF-S IS directly from Canon just a few days ago.
I am surprised at the weight of the lens, its more than double what the 18-55 is.
I don't remember there being as big of a difference in the weight of my friends Nikon lenses, but i have not held them for a while.

The extra weight helps me to be able to hold the camera more steady. My D1000 is too light for me with the 18-55 and i'm sure it will be also with a prime lens.
The 250 is plenty of reach for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Lens compatability canon xs rebel D1000 EF vs EF-S