Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread - Page 182

post #1811 of 2308
54795310.png
post #1812 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenjune View Post
Wow,that was hard to read. It seriously shows the huge discrepancies between the two processors.
As big as bulldozer's problems are, the only huge discrepancy is tweaktown's bench methods. The elephant in the room is clockspeed. Simply put, Bulldozer can clock higher than 4.7Ghz and Sandybridge almost never hits 5+ Ghz. I don't need to say any more to show the problem.
post #1813 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post
As big as bulldozer's problems are, the only huge discrepancy is tweaktown's bench methods. The elephant in the room is clockspeed. Simply put, Bulldozer can clock higher than 4.7Ghz and Sandybridge almost never hits 5+ Ghz. I don't need to say any more to show the problem.
I've been hearing from multiple reviews, sites, sources and even OCN testers that Bulldozer has an incredibly difficult time getting past the 4.6 Ghz wall without proper cooling, and even with proper cooling there has been a significant amount of stability issues.

A recent OCN member posted a review on how to properly overclck a Bulldozer CPU using a 990FX Gigabyte-UD5 or 7, and his overclocking pretty much hit a brick wall around 5.2 Ghz I believe. Even there, it seemed he had some serious stability issues, and the voltages he was pumping into the CPU were probably a bit high for 24/7 comfort.
Edited by jivenjune - 10/13/11 at 12:48pm
Stupid Box
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 Asus GTX 970 DirectCU Mini Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 4GB DDR4 2400 CL16  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD Prolimatech Samuel 17 w/ Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 Fan Windows 7 Home Premium KB87 Bluetooth CNC Acrylic Mechanical Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
SilverStone ST45SF-G 450w SFX PSU SG05W-Lite Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Stupid Box
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 Asus GTX 970 DirectCU Mini Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 4GB DDR4 2400 CL16  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD Prolimatech Samuel 17 w/ Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 Fan Windows 7 Home Premium KB87 Bluetooth CNC Acrylic Mechanical Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
SilverStone ST45SF-G 450w SFX PSU SG05W-Lite Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1814 of 2308
Decided to merge the tweaktown thread to the official thread. Folks please keep it a clean...no flaming
post #1815 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post
As big as bulldozer's problems are, the only huge discrepancy is tweaktown's bench methods. The elephant in the room is clockspeed. Simply put, Bulldozer can clock higher than 4.7Ghz and Sandybridge almost never hits 5+ Ghz. I don't need to say any more to show the problem.
Most if not all reviews have said that getting past 4.6ish without dropping cores/modules and or alternative cooling methods have been somewhat difficult and or in doing so while retaining stability has been very difficult.

Your argument for clocking bulldozer higher doesn't hold water.

All reviews should however review chips at the same clock.. so if Bulldozer turbos to 4.0-4.2 that is where SB should be. But at the same time reviewers should clock them at their max Stable speed as well under the same realistic cooling conditions (air/water) because lets face it anything else most people do not own nor are they going to have someone constantly pour LN2 so they can use the computer.


The Problem is Bulldozer... End of Story
post #1816 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post
As big as bulldozer's problems are, the only huge discrepancy is tweaktown's bench methods. The elephant in the room is clockspeed. Simply put, Bulldozer can clock higher than 4.7Ghz and Sandybridge almost never hits 5+ Ghz. I don't need to say any more to show the problem.
Is this established fact? Most BD reviews I've seen have been at 4.4-4.8 GHz (where is was often still underperforming stock SB). Besides, I wouldn't like to pay the electricity bill at that clock speed.
Edited by Madmanden - 10/13/11 at 12:59pm
ISIS mainframe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5 GHz AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gainward GTX 560 "Phantom" 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel 320 SSD 120 gb Win7 x64 Dell 2209WA Corsair AX750 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R3 Steelseries Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
ISIS mainframe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5 GHz AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gainward GTX 560 "Phantom" 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel 320 SSD 120 gb Win7 x64 Dell 2209WA Corsair AX750 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R3 Steelseries Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1817 of 2308
the tweaktown review is stupid literally. as i keep saying 8x,8x,4x trifire demolishes a 16x, 16x,8x trifire???

is BD that bad? and dont tell me 8x and 4x will not make a difference... because it will!!

too many descrepencies in the reviews for BD. Many people are getting into the habit of picking out the worst ones and ignoring the better ones!!
AMD oc'd
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 925@3.8ghz asus m4n68t-m Geforce 9600gt@747/986 4gb ddr3 xms3@1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
seagate 500gb, WD 1tb Windows 7 64-bit LG L1730S Corsair 650TX 
Case
NZXT Gamma 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD oc'd
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 925@3.8ghz asus m4n68t-m Geforce 9600gt@747/986 4gb ddr3 xms3@1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
seagate 500gb, WD 1tb Windows 7 64-bit LG L1730S Corsair 650TX 
Case
NZXT Gamma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1818 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
Looks about right, but you are missing the point: The slice of pie is big enough and exactly what AMD promised, and it costs less than the same slice of Pie from Intel.
Forget about Intel, Thuban will give you the same piece of pie for even less money.
post #1819 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBeNigNxX View Post
Most if not all reviews have said that getting past 4.6ish without dropping cores/modules and or alternative cooling methods have been somewhat difficult and or in doing so while retaining stability has been very difficult.

Your argument for clocking bulldozer higher doesn't hold water.

All reviews should however review chips at the same clock.. so if Bulldozer turbos to 4.0-4.2 that is where SB should be. But at the same time reviewers should clock them at their max Stable speed as well under the same realistic cooling conditions (air/water) because lets face it anything else most people do not own nor are they going to have someone constantly pour LN2 so they can use the computer.


The Problem is Bulldozer... End of Story
I disagree.

Both cpus are at roughly the same price point so they should be reviewed for what they are capable of. If I am going to be spending over $200 on a cpu I'll judge it by what it can achieve at it's max stable overclock not by how fast it is at the same frequency as another chip.
Grendel
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene GTX970  32gb DDR3 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
120gb Kingston SSD 120gb Kingston SSD 2tb WD caviar green 3tb WD caviar green 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NH-D15 Windows 10 Samsung S24D590L X3 Nvidia surround Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX750M Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Micro ATX Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
Grendel
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene GTX970  32gb DDR3 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
120gb Kingston SSD 120gb Kingston SSD 2tb WD caviar green 3tb WD caviar green 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NH-D15 Windows 10 Samsung S24D590L X3 Nvidia surround Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX750M Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Micro ATX Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1820 of 2308
I wonder ln2 vs ln2 results
E-Boney
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 4790k Z97X-UD5H GTX970 G1 16GB GsKill 2400MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x 3TB HDD Raid 0 2x 240 GB SSD in Raid 0 NZXT X61 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE CMStorm Quickfire Pro Seasonic 1250W Corsair 750D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie FK-2 Monoprice Gigantic  HyperX Clouds 
  hide details  
Reply
E-Boney
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 4790k Z97X-UD5H GTX970 G1 16GB GsKill 2400MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x 3TB HDD Raid 0 2x 240 GB SSD in Raid 0 NZXT X61 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE CMStorm Quickfire Pro Seasonic 1250W Corsair 750D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie FK-2 Monoprice Gigantic  HyperX Clouds 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread