Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread - Page 183

post #1821 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcool63 View Post
the tweaktown review is stupid literally. as i keep saying 8x,8x,4x trifire demolishes a 16x, 16x,8x trifire???

is BD that bad? and dont tell me 8x and 4x will not make a difference... because it will!!

too many descrepencies in the reviews for BD. Many people are getting into the habit of picking out the worst ones and ignoring the better ones!!
Yes it is THAT Bad.. have you not been reading reviews?
post #1822 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcool63 View Post
the tweaktown review is stupid literally. as i keep saying 8x,8x,4x trifire demolishes a 16x, 16x,8x trifire???

is BD that bad? and dont tell me 8x and 4x will not make a difference... because it will!!

too many descrepencies in the reviews for BD. Many people are getting into the habit of picking out the worst ones and ignoring the better ones!!
Clearly they were paid off by Intel! Because there hasn't been enough reviews showing BD failing, so Intel needed to pay off TweakTown.

Or, BD plainly sucks at most everything compared to SB (and even Phenom II). And yes, 8x vs. 16x performance is almost the same.
ISIS mainframe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5 GHz AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gainward GTX 560 "Phantom" 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel 320 SSD 120 gb Win7 x64 Dell 2209WA Corsair AX750 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R3 Steelseries Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
ISIS mainframe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5 GHz AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gainward GTX 560 "Phantom" 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel 320 SSD 120 gb Win7 x64 Dell 2209WA Corsair AX750 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R3 Steelseries Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1823 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
Looks about right, but you are missing the point: The slice of pie is big enough and exactly what AMD promised, and it costs less than the same slice of Pie from Intel.
BD definitely does not perform exactly as AMD promised. Based on their marketing and the plethora of both official and user reviews, that is a fact.
LianLith
(20 items)
 
Microstone
(15 items)
 
Red Box
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.225GHz w/ 1.344v, HT On Gigabyte X58A-OC 2 x HD 6950 2GB CrossfireX (Unlocked Shaders) 3 x 4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3/US @ 2028 9-10-10-25 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2 x WD6400AAKS in RAID 0 WD300GLSA16100 short-stroked to 48.8GB Prolimatech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 HP ZR30w ABS M1 Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li V2120X Razer Diamondback 3G Steelseries 4D M-Audio BX5a Deluxe 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Samson SR850 VSonic GR07 MDPC-X sleeving 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2550K @ 4.2GHz w/ 1.256v Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Visiontek Radeon HD4870 512MB 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD5000BEKT Lite-On DC-8A4SH Slot-loading DVD Burner Corsair H60 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 OEM HP keyboard Seasonic X-750 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech LX3 Ratpadz GS Audioengine 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3 530 @ 3.813GHz w/ 1.176v Asus P7H55D-M EVO Sapphire HD 5670 512MB @ 815/1025 2 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner Cooler Master GeminII S Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2009W Saitek Eclipse OCZ ModXStream 500W Lian Li V351R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Diamondback Ratpadz GS Dell AY410 
  hide details  
Reply
LianLith
(20 items)
 
Microstone
(15 items)
 
Red Box
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.225GHz w/ 1.344v, HT On Gigabyte X58A-OC 2 x HD 6950 2GB CrossfireX (Unlocked Shaders) 3 x 4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3/US @ 2028 9-10-10-25 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2 x WD6400AAKS in RAID 0 WD300GLSA16100 short-stroked to 48.8GB Prolimatech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 HP ZR30w ABS M1 Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li V2120X Razer Diamondback 3G Steelseries 4D M-Audio BX5a Deluxe 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Samson SR850 VSonic GR07 MDPC-X sleeving 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2550K @ 4.2GHz w/ 1.256v Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Visiontek Radeon HD4870 512MB 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD5000BEKT Lite-On DC-8A4SH Slot-loading DVD Burner Corsair H60 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 OEM HP keyboard Seasonic X-750 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech LX3 Ratpadz GS Audioengine 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3 530 @ 3.813GHz w/ 1.176v Asus P7H55D-M EVO Sapphire HD 5670 512MB @ 815/1025 2 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner Cooler Master GeminII S Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2009W Saitek Eclipse OCZ ModXStream 500W Lian Li V351R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Diamondback Ratpadz GS Dell AY410 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1824 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyra View Post
I disagree.

Both cpus are at roughly the same price point so they should be reviewed for what they are capable of. If I am going to be spending over $200 on a cpu I'll judge it by what it can achieve at it's max stable overclock not by how fast it is at the same frequency as another chip.
Ok... Going off of that statement.. According to 99% of the reviews they have been having a hard time OC'ing BD past 4.6-4.8 on air while keeping stability in check with out dropping cores/modules or using a more radical cooling method.

Need a Source? read the reviews located on page 1 of this thread.
Edited by XxBeNigNxX - 10/13/11 at 1:10pm
post #1825 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenjune View Post
I've been hearing from multiple reviews, sites, sources and even OCN testers that Bulldozer has an incredibly difficult time getting past the 4.6 Ghz wall without proper cooling, and even with proper cooling there has been a significant amount of stability issues.

A recent OCN member posted a review on how to properly overclck a Bulldozer CPU using a 990FX Gigabyte-UD5 or 7, and his overclocking pretty much hit a brick wall around 5.2 Ghz I believe. Even there, it seemed he had some serious stability issues, and the voltages he was pumping into the CPU were probably a bit high for 24/7 comfort.
Even in the event that Bulldozer chips clocking over 4.6 on air are rare, I would put forward that Sandy bridge chips clocking to 5.2 are just as or even more rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBeNigNxX View Post
Most if not all reviews have said that getting past 4.6ish without dropping cores/modules and or alternative cooling methods have been somewhat difficult and or in doing so while retaining stability has been very difficult.

Your argument for clocking bulldozer higher doesn't hold water.

All reviews should however review chips at the same clock.. so if Bulldozer turbos to 4.0-4.2 that is where SB should be. But at the same time reviewers should clock them at their max Stable speed as well under the same realistic cooling conditions (air/water) because lets face it anything else most people do not own nor are they going to have someone constantly pour LN2 so they can use the computer.


The Problem is Bulldozer... End of Story
Please do not take me for a bulldozer defender. I know full well its performance and that it has many problems (look in previous pages for my enumeration of these problems). I even go so far as to claim that I see no reason to recommend bulldozer to any consumer for any reason. That said, little of this relates to the fundamental problem with the benchmark methods used by tweaktown in this test.
post #1826 of 2308
i wouldn't trust these reviews,i heard that intel paid most of these sites with free hardware and money and asked the actual bulldozer reviewers "when you are done reviewing BD could you write a bad review to make AMD look bad for us,because were in no position to compete at the moment" *in essense* "could you please ram a piece of jagged steel into the heart of AMD for us,we are having issues with IB and need a little cover"

lachen.giflachen.giflachen.giflachen.giflachen.gif

come people a little reality never hurt anybody:D

AMD messed up and thats a fact.any one who continues to deny this isn't being honest with themselves
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3650 8.32GHz so close Gigabyte A75M-UD2H sapphire HD3450 2x2GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
western digital 320GB ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS LED 23.6" MS246H 
PowerCase
Corsair 400W cardboard box w/lots of holes for fans 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3650 8.32GHz so close Gigabyte A75M-UD2H sapphire HD3450 2x2GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
western digital 320GB ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS LED 23.6" MS246H 
PowerCase
Corsair 400W cardboard box w/lots of holes for fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1827 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBeNigNxX View Post
Ok... Going off of that statement.. According to 99% of the reviews they have been having a hard time OC'ing BD past 4.6-4.8 on air while keeping stability in check with out dropping cores/modules or using a more radical cooling method.

Need a Source? read the reviews located on page 1 of this thread.
I think you guys are saying the same thing.
post #1828 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post
Even in the event that Bulldozer chips clocking over 4.6 on air are rare, I would put forward that Sandy bridge chips clocking to 5.2 are just as or even more rare.



Please do not take me for a bulldozer defender. I know full well its performance and that it has many problems (look in previous pages for my enumeration of these problems). I even go so far as to claim that I see no reason to recommend bulldozer to any consumer for any reason. That said, little of this relates to the fundamental problem with the benchmark methods used by tweaktown in this test.
It's all good hajile.. I don't take you for anything other than a fellow OCN member and a human being
post #1829 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
Quote from the Tweaktown review:



TT openly admits that they have been paid by Intel.

I disagree. What exactly did AMD promise you that you feel that they did not deliver on?
That does NOT prove that Intel is paying TT to give BD a poor review. Intel supplied TT with processors to perform benchmarks on. So what?

For the second part, this is a good place to start:


Edited by aznofazns - 10/13/11 at 1:16pm
LianLith
(20 items)
 
Microstone
(15 items)
 
Red Box
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.225GHz w/ 1.344v, HT On Gigabyte X58A-OC 2 x HD 6950 2GB CrossfireX (Unlocked Shaders) 3 x 4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3/US @ 2028 9-10-10-25 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2 x WD6400AAKS in RAID 0 WD300GLSA16100 short-stroked to 48.8GB Prolimatech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 HP ZR30w ABS M1 Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li V2120X Razer Diamondback 3G Steelseries 4D M-Audio BX5a Deluxe 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Samson SR850 VSonic GR07 MDPC-X sleeving 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2550K @ 4.2GHz w/ 1.256v Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Visiontek Radeon HD4870 512MB 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD5000BEKT Lite-On DC-8A4SH Slot-loading DVD Burner Corsair H60 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 OEM HP keyboard Seasonic X-750 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech LX3 Ratpadz GS Audioengine 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3 530 @ 3.813GHz w/ 1.176v Asus P7H55D-M EVO Sapphire HD 5670 512MB @ 815/1025 2 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner Cooler Master GeminII S Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2009W Saitek Eclipse OCZ ModXStream 500W Lian Li V351R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Diamondback Ratpadz GS Dell AY410 
  hide details  
Reply
LianLith
(20 items)
 
Microstone
(15 items)
 
Red Box
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.225GHz w/ 1.344v, HT On Gigabyte X58A-OC 2 x HD 6950 2GB CrossfireX (Unlocked Shaders) 3 x 4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3/US @ 2028 9-10-10-25 1.6v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2 x WD6400AAKS in RAID 0 WD300GLSA16100 short-stroked to 48.8GB Prolimatech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 HP ZR30w ABS M1 Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li V2120X Razer Diamondback 3G Steelseries 4D M-Audio BX5a Deluxe 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Samson SR850 VSonic GR07 MDPC-X sleeving 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2550K @ 4.2GHz w/ 1.256v Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Visiontek Radeon HD4870 512MB 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD5000BEKT Lite-On DC-8A4SH Slot-loading DVD Burner Corsair H60 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 OEM HP keyboard Seasonic X-750 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech LX3 Ratpadz GS Audioengine 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3 530 @ 3.813GHz w/ 1.176v Asus P7H55D-M EVO Sapphire HD 5670 512MB @ 815/1025 2 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner Cooler Master GeminII S Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2009W Saitek Eclipse OCZ ModXStream 500W Lian Li V351R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Diamondback Ratpadz GS Dell AY410 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1830 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfc View Post
I wonder ln2 vs ln2 results
Of course Bulldozer will win because it's chipset is cable of being overclocked unlike Sandy Bridge which has a 57x multiplier. So the max it would reach if the chipset could be pushed to reach 120 it would be 6.8Ghz which is kinda hard to beat but I think Bulldozer can reach 7Ghz with 4 modules.

I can't wait for Windows 8 to be released so processors can actually take advantage of the extra cores that usually sit idle.
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread