Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread - Page 229

post #2281 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
It showed that in real world gaming applications of the chip, it performs as well as a 2500K (meaning, most gaming rigs will bottleneck on their GPU before CPU bottlenecks ever become a problem).


What happens with the next generation of MORE POWERFUL Graphics Cards?

Kepler In 3 Months? 7000 AMD Series This Year?
post #2282 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak House View Post


What happens with the next generation of MORE POWERFUL Graphics Cards?
That's when the BD based server chips should be ready for market, which is clearly where the module based architecture should do well (if it will do well in any application) since the server market is multi-thread based applications. This keeps AMD in the CPU game and alive so long as NVidia doesn't blow their new generation GPUs out of the water.

It does get a bit tricky there, though, because the base fault that causes the performance issues may well be the way the cores share resources in the modules. If the server chips are incapable of overcoming this issue and there is even the slightest faultering in the GPU market, then AMD could be in serious trouble. Their stock closed at $4.54 today and has been on a slide for a while.
post #2283 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
That's when the BD based server chips should be ready for market, which is clearly where the module based architecture should do well (if it will do well in any application) since the server market is multi-thread based applications. This keeps AMD in the CPU game and alive so long as NVidia doesn't blow their new generation GPUs out of the water.

It does get a bit tricky there, though, because the base fault that causes the performance issues may well be the way the cores share resources in the modules. If the server chips are incapable of overcoming this issue and there is even the slightest faultering in the GPU market, then AMD could be in serious trouble. Their stock closed at $4.54 today and has been on a slide for a while.


So you think anyone running the new cards will need a server based BD?



OK, IF YOU SAY SO!
post #2284 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak House View Post
Crossfire Numbers Anyone?


Now you know the truth. AND THAT'S INTEL'S LAST GENERATION OF CHIPS. The Phenom Looks Better
You still dont get it.

Right now a good cpu can do alot of FP calculations .
Bulldozer is a weak quad with alot of extra baggage when it comes to FP calculations.

Are you trolling? Nobody even tries to combat my reasoning because they are to narrow minded to think that hell maybe we should leave FP calculations to the gpu, considering thats what they are designed for.... why build a cpu that is great at fp calculations when a gpu can do it 4 times faster. Thats what Amd's goals are. Let the gpu do what is was designed for.
post #2285 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak House View Post


So you think anyone running the new cards will need a server based BD?



OK, IF YOU SAY SO!
Try to keep up.

I'm saying that once the new cards have come out, the BD market will have moved on to sales in server chips and the loss of the GPU bottleneck won't be as meaningful to overall CPU sales for AMD.
post #2286 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by konspiracy View Post
Nobody even tries to combat my reasoning
Yeah, well I don't want to "combat your reasoning" so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
post #2287 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
Try to keep up.

I'm saying that once the new cards have come out, the BD market will have moved on to sales in server chips and the loss of the GPU bottleneck won't be as meaningful to overall CPU sales for AMD.
Oh OK - so AMD doesn't really care about selling CPUs to desktop users! Now I get it, and actually - That makes a hell of a lot of sense now!

Thanks Xyxox!

If they cared about selling to us desktop users - the chip might have been worth something.
post #2288 of 2308
dem chips is worth NOTHING imo..being that intel has jacked up 1155 mobo prices in light of the bulldozer..er..garbage..i do believe i'm going with 1090T or zosma..i really regrett spending $200 on a sabertooth..when i could have had a better board for $130..i'll probably get that board ,too... am3+ ready? ready for what? netburst was actually FASTER Ooo..been thinking about a northwoord/prescott build..with ssd..hmmm..who wants a sabertooth? (barely used) $140 fx 4100 ..$65 (half price) ..about what it's actually worth
Edited by Schmuckley - 10/20/11 at 7:19pm
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2289 of 2308
Fail dozer is fail. I have lost all faith in amd.
My pc
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k@4.7ghz Biostar tp67xe 7850 1050/1250mhz gt520 1010 /2020mhz 1040mhz 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ddr3 1600mhz mushkin redline 500g seagate,500g wd, 640g wd, in raid 1 lg 22x optical drive h60 push/pull 
OSPowerCaseAudio
win7 home premium tr2 rx-850w cm 690 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k@4.7ghz Biostar tp67xe 7850 1050/1250mhz gt520 1010 /2020mhz 1040mhz 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ddr3 1600mhz mushkin redline 500g seagate,500g wd, 640g wd, in raid 1 lg 22x optical drive h60 push/pull 
OSPowerCaseAudio
win7 home premium tr2 rx-850w cm 690 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2290 of 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak House View Post
Oh OK - so AMD doesn't really care about selling CPUs to desktop users! Now I get it, and actually - That makes a hell of a lot of sense now!

Thanks Xyxox!

If they cared about selling to us desktop users - the chip might have been worth something.
You still aren't keeping up.

They care about selling these chips right now. They won't care so much by the time the new GPUs are released because the focus will be on sales of new BD based server chips.

And bottom line, desktop based enthusiast chips are a small part of overall CPU sales.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] AMD Bulldozer Reviews Thread