Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club! - Page 268

post #2671 of 8112
I have a question. Does any know when the Bulldozer patch will be released? I heard Q1 of 2012, not sure if that's true. And is it recommended to use the hotfix that was pulled?
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2672 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

I have a question. Does any know when the Bulldozer patch will be released? I heard Q1 of 2012, not sure if that's true. And is it recommended to use the hotfix that was pulled?

It should be out by the end of this month. Thats what ive heard.
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2673 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslm View Post

I started overclocking my 8120 and found out pretty quick I got a dud. Needed 1.44v to even last 2 minutes in prime at 4.4GHz, seems like 2 of the cores are pulling the whole thing down. If I pushed the voltage any higher my H60 couldn't keep up and core temps would skyrocket frown.gif
Good news is I found someone who wants to take it off my hands for a good price, so ordered an 8150 and hoping I have better luck! I kind of need a good overclock as I'm adding two 7970s.

You didnt get a dud. Thats sounds about right for the average 8120 I think. I have seen a lot worse. I have also seen better too. I can get 4.4Ghz with 1.375v but I have seen others that have to increase voltage just to get stock clocks stable.

BD chips vary a lot with the manufacturing quality. It is kinda disappointing but you should be able to do a cross exchange and pick the best out of the two or three depending on how many times you do it but that doesnt really matter since you sold it.
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2674 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

Quote:
Turn all the cpu power saving features (C1, C1E, C6, CC6, APM, Cool n' Quiet, etc.) and there should be no stepping or throttle on the cpu. Then if you like, disable turbo core and you should be able to start increasing multiplyer and fsb to overclock.
Edit: Also, make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard. This might will probably increase stability of the chip.
There is no reason to turn off cool and quiet, c6, c1. These power saving features have NO effect on stability, only thing they do is reduce the cpu voltage and mutipier at idle/light load. With them turned off you will not only use alot more power at the oulet, but your cpu will run much hotter.

While this ^^^^ may technically be true AMD still advises to turn off all power saving features when OC'ing as a state change (from P0 to something less), can cause a crash when the CPU is pushed to the max limit. It may not effect the max OC possible but it can effect system stability once you reach the limit.

Most folks who use their PC for anything other than OC'ing just need to back up a notch from the max OC and then they should be able to use all the power saving features -"should" being the operative word. wink.gif
post #2675 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezachlowe2004 View Post

You didnt get a dud. Thats sounds about right for the average 8120 I think. I have seen a lot worse. I have also seen better too. I can get 4.4Ghz with 1.375v but I have seen others that have to increase voltage just to get stock clocks stable.
BD chips vary a lot with the manufacturing quality. It is kinda disappointing but you should be able to do a cross exchange and pick the best out of the two or three depending on how many times you do it but that doesnt really matter since you sold it.

No one should have an issue with stock clocks at stock voltage unless there is some other hardware issue such as a mobo/BIOS, RAM, PSU, etc. AMD tests every CPU before it's marked for speed. Many of the mobo BIOS are not up to speed yet with BD being a completely new architecture.

I'm not a fan of cross-shipping of CPUs either as I find this unscrupulous. If your CPU runs at the specified speed then you got what you paid for. Returning it in search of a CPU that will OC higher is dishonest when there is no defect in the original CPU. Some unscrupulous retailers / e-tailers will sell these to an unsuspecting consumer as new when in fact they are used. Who knows how they were handled? How would you like it if the e-tailers sold you one at full price?

BTW, the H60 is a pretty mediocre cooler. Many HSFs are better and cheaper.
post #2676 of 8112
1.8v :lachen.gif: i'm kidding..but..notsomuch wink.gif
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2677 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4ME View Post

No one should have an issue with stock clocks at stock voltage unless there is some other hardware issue such as a mobo/BIOS, RAM, PSU, etc. AMD tests every CPU before it's marked for speed. Many of the mobo BIOS are not up to speed yet with BD being a completely new architecture.
I'm not a fan of cross-shipping of CPUs either as I find this unscrupulous. If your CPU runs at the specified speed then you got what you paid for. Returning it in search of a CPU that will OC higher is dishonest when there is no defect in the original CPU. Some unscrupulous retailers / e-tailers will sell these to an unsuspecting consumer as new when in fact they are used. Who knows how they were handled? How would you like it if the e-tailers sold you one at full price?
BTW, the H60 is a pretty mediocre cooler. Many HSFs are better and cheaper.

They cant sell you a used one. there are several amd seals on the their cpus. Also, it may be dishonest but personally it doesn't matter to me cause in most cases the retailers you are purchasing from are making a killing in profit. Therefore I think they are being dishonest and it is okay for me to be dishonest back. Like newegg selling the 8150 at release for $275 when retail should be $240. They are making plenty of money for me to be able to have my choice from two or three cpus. Most retailers can throw away half of there stock and still be profiting. I think its a little weird that you are feeling sorry for the retailers when they are the ones that should be feeling sorry for you because they are the ones that are making all the money. Thats just my opinion.

I know that no one should have problems with stock clocks but I have seen at least two people with the same board I have with latest bios not be stable at stock clocks. Yes you are right, this should not happen but it has and it does.
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
FUSION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Llano A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M Pro FM1 uATX Corsair Vengeance Corsair Force 3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE247H 24" 1080p Razer Lycosa Corsair CX500 Fractal Define Design R3 ATX 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2678 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezachlowe2004 View Post

They cant sell you a used one. there are several amd seals on the their cpus. Also, it may be dishonest but personally it doesn't matter to me cause in most cases the retailers you are purchasing from are making a killing in profit. Therefore I think they are being dishonest and it is okay for me to be dishonest back. Like newegg selling the 8150 at release for $275 when retail should be $240. They are making plenty of money for me to be able to have my choice from two or three cpus. Most retailers can throw away half of there stock and still be profiting. I think its a little weird that you are feeling sorry for the retailers when they are the ones that should be feeling sorry for you because they are the ones that are making all the money. Thats just my opinion.
I know that no one should have problems with stock clocks but I have seen at least two people with the same board I have with latest bios not be stable at stock clocks. Yes you are right, this should not happen but it has and it does.
'
You're trying to rationalize unscrupulous behavior based on a retailer's profit margin. Sorry but returning good components as defective is unscrupulous and has nothing to do with how much margin the seller makes or loses. I'm not feeling sorry for anyone. Either you are an ethical person or you're not. It's a choice every person makes countless times per day.

As I said AMD tests all the CPUs and speed bins them. If a CPU doesn't function properly at stock speed it's most likely the mobo/BIOS, RAM or PSU.
post #2679 of 8112
Quote:
It should be out by the end of this month. Thats what ive heard.

I hope its worth the wait. Were there any known performance increases with the incomplete patch?
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2680 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

Quote:
It should be out by the end of this month. Thats what ive heard.
I hope its worth the wait. Were there any known performance increases with the incomplete patch?

Only performance increase I saw was a couple of benchmarks got the same score with the patch that I got pre patch having the bench run high priority.
Ra\/eN HeX
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6100 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA GTX460 Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Seagate Baracuda ASUS dvd-rwdl Enzotech saphire rev-a 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC Rasa universal gpu Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung SyncMaster B2030 Samsung SyncMaster 923nw  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake tr-2 500w Silverstone Raven RV03 Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Exactmat 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Athlon II X2 MSI 870-G45 HD4550 Western Digital 
Optical DriveCoolingOSCase
ASUS DVD-rw Thermalright Ultra 120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Cooler Master HAF-912 
  hide details  
Reply
Ra\/eN HeX
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6100 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA GTX460 Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Seagate Baracuda ASUS dvd-rwdl Enzotech saphire rev-a 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC Rasa universal gpu Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung SyncMaster B2030 Samsung SyncMaster 923nw  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake tr-2 500w Silverstone Raven RV03 Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Exactmat 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Athlon II X2 MSI 870-G45 HD4550 Western Digital 
Optical DriveCoolingOSCase
ASUS DVD-rw Thermalright Ultra 120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Cooler Master HAF-912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!