Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club! - Page 397

post #3961 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorybro545 View Post


Really? On the 970A-D3? Awesome biggrin.gif
I can get what I want which is the 7950 and the cooler. The reason is because I OC'ed my GPU (6950 2GB) to about 950/1320 at 1.149V and it started bottlenecking hard. BF3 easily went down 4 FPS and began stuttering.
The 7950 is awesome, and my reason behing getting it is for futureproofing. I'm big on that.
My PSU is alright though? I hear that FX 81** are "Power Pigs."



 I hear that FX 81** are "Power Pigs."

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post

they produce a lot of heat too



 

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3962 of 8112
Alright, I trust you guys biggrin.gif

Gonna call Newegg in the next week or so.

I'm just surprised you guys think my PSU is enough, especially for OC'ing. But, hey, money saved biggrin.gif
post #3963 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post



 I hear that FX 81** are "Power Pigs."




What are you trying to tell me?
post #3964 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorybro545 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post



 I hear that FX 81** are "Power Pigs."




What are you trying to tell me?

That once you go over 4.5 GHz you need more then 1.4 V and power consumption and heat starts to sky rocket. 4.6 GHz at 1.43 V - 1.46 V seems to be the sweet spot for performance, heat, and power usage.
CHILZ - Lan Rig
(17 items)
 
CANARY - Main Rig
(16 items)
 
CADILLAC - HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4570s Asus H97M-Plus AMD R9 280 G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB (2x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
250 GB Samsung 840 240 GB Kingston 3 TB USB 3.0 Drive Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Preview BenQ GL2450 Filco MajesTouch2 Ninja PC P&C Silencer Mk III 600 W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 1000 Mionix Castor Monoprice XXL JL Amps + Custom Morel Bookshelf speakers 
Other
Scythe Kama-Panel 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4.6 GHz Fatal1ty 990FX Pro 9800 GTX+ 512 MB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 1 TB WD Black 5x 120mm + MCP350 + EK Supreme HF + MicroRes Windows 8 Consumer Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell U2212HM Logitech G110 Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro Cooler Master 690 II Adv. 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder 3.5G Staples Gel Cushion Asus Xonar DG + Senn. PC333D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Acer X1800 ATI 5670 2 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 TB WD Green Asus BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium Sony 50" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Acer Media 220 W SFF Acer X1800 Acer Optical 
Mouse PadAudio
The TV cabinet Denon 2808 7.1 AVR + Dahlquist 350W 8" Sub + Kl... 
  hide details  
Reply
CHILZ - Lan Rig
(17 items)
 
CANARY - Main Rig
(16 items)
 
CADILLAC - HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4570s Asus H97M-Plus AMD R9 280 G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB (2x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
250 GB Samsung 840 240 GB Kingston 3 TB USB 3.0 Drive Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Preview BenQ GL2450 Filco MajesTouch2 Ninja PC P&C Silencer Mk III 600 W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 1000 Mionix Castor Monoprice XXL JL Amps + Custom Morel Bookshelf speakers 
Other
Scythe Kama-Panel 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4.6 GHz Fatal1ty 990FX Pro 9800 GTX+ 512 MB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 1 TB WD Black 5x 120mm + MCP350 + EK Supreme HF + MicroRes Windows 8 Consumer Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell U2212HM Logitech G110 Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro Cooler Master 690 II Adv. 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder 3.5G Staples Gel Cushion Asus Xonar DG + Senn. PC333D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Acer X1800 ATI 5670 2 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 TB WD Green Asus BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium Sony 50" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Acer Media 220 W SFF Acer X1800 Acer Optical 
Mouse PadAudio
The TV cabinet Denon 2808 7.1 AVR + Dahlquist 350W 8" Sub + Kl... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3965 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

That once you go over 4.5 GHz you need more then 1.4 V and power consumption and heat starts to sky rocket. 4.6 GHz at 1.43 V - 1.46 V seems to be the sweet spot for performance, heat, and power usage.

Okay. This is the guide I was going to use as I am not very familiar with OC'ing.

Is 650W and 8 GB HyperX Ram Kit good enough for a moderate overclock?
post #3966 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorybro545 View Post

Okay. So here is the solution that I have come to. Tell me if this would be good.
The Sabertooth 990FX (edit)
The Cooler Master Hyper 212
The Sapphire 7950 3 GB
All on a 650W PSU.
Would this work?

Yep, should work just fine, assuming the PSU is a nice one. I have my FX 6100 (4.3GHz, around 1.44V) and a GTX 480 running on my Antec EarthWatts 650W Green PSU. I've measured my power consumption with a Kill-a-watt. I come close to pushing the limit of my PSU when I'm running the heaviest possible load I can on both my CPU and GPU at the same time.

Given that your GPU is much, much more power efficient than mine, I have no doubts you'll be able to get a solid overclock going with that PSU. This is taking into account the fact that your CPU can and probably will end up drawing more power than mine, depending on how far you take your overclock.

As for the cooler, it might hold you back on overclocking due to heat. I could be wrong, and it should be just fine if you aren't going for a crazy overclock with high voltages. I got an Antec Kuhler 620 for my FX 6100 and used the existing 120mm fan in the back of my case to set it up in push/pull configuration. Works great, but it is on the more expensive side.
It's A Computer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Biostar TZ77XE3 AMD HD7970 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Antec Kuhler 620 in Push/Pull Intake Config Windows 8 64-bit Asus VG236H 120HZ Antec Earthwatts 650W Green 
CaseAudio
Antec 902 Auzentech Bravura 
  hide details  
Reply
It's A Computer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Biostar TZ77XE3 AMD HD7970 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Antec Kuhler 620 in Push/Pull Intake Config Windows 8 64-bit Asus VG236H 120HZ Antec Earthwatts 650W Green 
CaseAudio
Antec 902 Auzentech Bravura 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3967 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

Yep, should work just fine, assuming the PSU is a nice one. I have my FX 6100 (4.3GHz, around 1.44V) and a GTX 480 running on my Antec EarthWatts 650W Green PSU. I've measured my power consumption with a Kill-a-watt. I come close to pushing the limit of my PSU when I'm running the heaviest possible load I can on both my CPU and GPU at the same time.
Given that your GPU is much, much more power efficient than mine, I have no doubts you'll be able to get a solid overclock going with that PSU. This is taking into account the fact that your CPU can and probably will end up drawing more power than mine, depending on how far you take your overclock.
As for the cooler, it might hold you back on overclocking due to heat. I could be wrong, and it should be just fine if you aren't going for a crazy overclock with high voltages. I got an Antec Kuhler 620 for my FX 6100 and used the existing 120mm fan in the back of my case to set it up in push/pull configuration. Works great, but it is on the more expensive side.

I will take that into consideration. My only problem now is that the GTX 680 is looking more promising.
We'll see what it consumes power wise, but I may switch to Nvidia for that beauty of a card.
post #3968 of 8112
truestorybro545 you may want to check new egg this dosent happen often but they have a open box Sabertooth for 148.99 and free shipping if you dont mind not having the orignal box it has its full 5 year warrenty I bought my Sabertooth as a open box and no regrets

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736R
post #3969 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerguy View Post

truestorybro545 you may want to check new egg this dosent happen often but they have a open box Sabertooth for 148.99 and free shipping if you dont mind not having the orignal box it has its full 5 year warrenty I bought my Sabertooth as a open box and no regrets
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736R

I agree open boxes are good values. Sometimes they come with all cables, software and bridge connectors and sometimes not. That's the only downside.
WinExp 7.5
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 GA-990FXA-UD7 XFX 6950 GSkill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
OCZ REVOx2 160 Corsair HD100 Win 7 64 and Ubuntu 11.10 64 Ubuntu 11.10 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2253 BW Microsoft Natural Ergo Corsair HX 850 Lian-Li PC-70B 
MouseAudio
Logitech Marble On-Board, Altec-Lansing speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
WinExp 7.5
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 GA-990FXA-UD7 XFX 6950 GSkill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
OCZ REVOx2 160 Corsair HD100 Win 7 64 and Ubuntu 11.10 64 Ubuntu 11.10 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2253 BW Microsoft Natural Ergo Corsair HX 850 Lian-Li PC-70B 
MouseAudio
Logitech Marble On-Board, Altec-Lansing speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3970 of 8112
mine came with everything but the box and I got it thru New Egg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!