Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club! - Page 544

post #5431 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post

the Foreman that's doing the construction work down the road wanted to know if i would help him overclock is bulldozer
I'd LOL so hard if anyone actually did that. "Hey,need help overclocking your Bulldozer? You'll get so much more done if you let me help you get it to 5 Ghz".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Hotepp View Post

So let's summarize HMG's position.....Nobody runs 2133 or higher memory because he's never seen or heard of it, FX series or so "bad" that they can't even match or "beat" Phenom II in gaming (one of the worst ways to measure CPU performance but that's what he says), and for the same money you should spend it on Intel because "it's just better". Do I have that all right? rolleyes.gif Oh and before I forget.....his position is also that even though he's making the claims he doesn't have to post the "proof" because everyone can just "google it". lachen.gif I think I'll go have a huge laugh now.
Now you're just taking my posts out of context. It was in the case of PHII running high speed ram,PHII can to an extent,also in which I mentioned it's pointless running any faster than 2133 speed on a FX that can't handle the ram throughput it's fed fast enough in the first place.
Depending on the game,it's a valid way to test a CPU,I don't get why you're saying it's one of the worst ways to test gaming.
If you're wanting a gaming rig that will get you consistent high FPS,an Intel setup is the way to go,if you compare the two,it wouldn't cost you much more if not the about the same,and for one you have to buy an expensive cooler if you're getting a FX-8150. Intel is just better in terms of their hardware quality,and I'm sure you know that.
I shouldn't have to fill the thread with with benchmark graphs when they're out there for you to easily google yourself. Your taking my posts so far from what they really were is a nice LOL itself. lachen.gif
Edited by Heavy MG - 7/15/12 at 5:47pm
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5432 of 8112
I don't know about the voltage Bf3P. I am looking forward to seeing what your results are. I might turn down to 2 cores and crank this thing to the moon for some memory benchmark runs and that sort of thing for some grins. lmaosmiley.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5433 of 8112
I remember when the 8 Cores came out, lots of people said the best thing to do was to disable 4 cores then overclock it, and I was like "headscratch.gif Why buy an 8 core then?"
Defiance
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Asus ROG Maximum VIII Ranger Powercolor R9 280x Turbo Duo Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital 3TB Black 1TB External HDD External Optical Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Black/Red Deathadder Chrome Turtlebeach Drift  
  hide details  
Reply
Defiance
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Asus ROG Maximum VIII Ranger Powercolor R9 280x Turbo Duo Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital 3TB Black 1TB External HDD External Optical Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Black/Red Deathadder Chrome Turtlebeach Drift  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5434 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipekill2445 View Post

I remember when the 8 Cores came out, lots of people said the best thing to do was to disable 4 cores then overclock it, and I was like "headscratch.gif Why buy an 8 core then?"
Well the reason to do so with an FX is to give each core an FPU and more cache,maybe less heat and possibly better bandwidth.
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5435 of 8112
Yes, but why would you want an 8 core if you're just gonna disable 4, that's crazy. Especially cause, as we know, when they came out they weren't exactly cheap compared to Intel's offerings at the time.
Defiance
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Asus ROG Maximum VIII Ranger Powercolor R9 280x Turbo Duo Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital 3TB Black 1TB External HDD External Optical Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Black/Red Deathadder Chrome Turtlebeach Drift  
  hide details  
Reply
Defiance
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Asus ROG Maximum VIII Ranger Powercolor R9 280x Turbo Duo Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital 3TB Black 1TB External HDD External Optical Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT H440 Black/Red Deathadder Chrome Turtlebeach Drift  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5436 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipekill2445 View Post

Yes, but why would you want an 8 core if you're just gonna disable 4, that's crazy. Especially cause, as we know, when they came out they weren't exactly cheap compared to Intel's offerings at the time.
True,also the same thing can be done with the Thuban X6's for higher OC's.
Bulldozer got it's OC record by having 6 cores disabled. I don't really see why you'd want to other than for the fun of it or to see how high you can clock it.
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5437 of 8112
Is it OK with you two if some of us want to tinker with our rigs a bit?

I did not know this was something we had to ask permission to do. cigar.gif
Edited by Jagged_Steel - 7/15/12 at 6:57pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5438 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post

Is OK with you two if some of us want to tinker with our rigs a bit? I did not know this was something we had to ask permission to do. cigar.gif
No one really meant in that sense at all,when you buy a 4/6/8 core why not use all of them? It's like buying a V8 but only running fuel through half of the cylinders. Like snipekill2448 said,compared to the prices of Intel processors you may as well use what you paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post

Saving fuel comes to mind right away in your engine analogy. I believe Cadillac was the first to offer a V8 that would turn off cylinders when they were not needed. 40 years ago or thereabouts if I remember correctly.
Here is a question for you: Why are you posting here?
I know of cylinder deactivation,it's not very efficient because the engine is still dragging around all that weight but only putting down half of the power it normally would.
Anyway back on topic,I believe the FX's have some sort of core idling feature to save power,correct?
The same reason anyone else does,because I can? I see,you're asking because I don't have an FX system? I can base enough of off reviews/testing and others experiences with them. I've used one but have not had one for any long amount of time. I wasn't aware I needed permission to post in a AMD thread because of the as you'd like to assume ancient,old, antiquated luddite and "slow" Phenom II,in my sig. I guess anyone with an Intel system better stop posting in the AMD section too.
Edited by Heavy MG - 7/15/12 at 7:27pm
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5439 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy MG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post

Is OK with you two if some of us want to tinker with our rigs a bit? I did not know this was something we had to ask permission to do. cigar.gif
No one really meant in that sense at all,when you buy a 4/6/8 core why not use all of them? It's like buying a V8 but only running fuel through half of the cylinders. Like snipekill2448 said,compared to the prices of Intel processors you may as well use what you paid for.

Saving fuel comes to mind right away in your engine analogy. I believe Cadillac was the first to offer a V8 that would turn off cylinders when they were not needed. 40 years ago or thereabouts if I remember correctly.

Here is a question for you: Why are you posting here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy MG View Post

I know of cylinder deactivation,it's not very efficient because the engine is still dragging around all that weight but only putting down half of the power it normally would.
Anyway back on topic,I believe the FX's have some sort of core idling feature to save power,correct?
The same reason anyone else does,because I can? I see,you're asking because I don't have an FX system? I can base enough of off reviews/testing and others experiences with them. I've used one but have not had one for any long amount of time. I wasn't aware I needed permission to post in a AMD thread because of the as you'd like to assume ancient,old, antiquated luddite and "slow" Phenom II,in my sig. I guess anyone with an Intel system better stop posting in the AMD section too.

Edit to add: You might be able to pick up a few bucks if you call the engineers at General Motors and Mercedes, they are convinced that cylinder deactivation actually works. Think of all the money they could save just by listening to your profound insight on the matter. Either that or they are right and you are wrong, just like you are are wrong about your theory that Phenoms are superior gaming CPUs compared to FX's.

I never suggested in any way that you need permission to post here or anywhere else. I simply asked a question. Your answer and the tone you used were quite interesting.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity.
Edited by Jagged_Steel - 7/15/12 at 7:52pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5440 of 8112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post

Saving fuel comes to mind right away in your engine analogy. I believe Cadillac was the first to offer a V8 that would turn off cylinders when they were not needed. 40 years ago or thereabouts if I remember correctly.
Here is a question for you: Why are you posting here?
Edit to add: you are wrong about cylinder deactivation, just like you are are wrong about your theory that Phenoms are superior gaming CPUs compared to FX's.
I never suggested in any way that you need permission to post here or anywhere else. I simply asked a question. Your answer and the tone you used were quite interesting.
Thank you for indulging my curiosity.
IMO,if one cared about economy they wouldn't be driving a V8 powered vehicle in the first place.
With that aside,I do apologize if I seemed insulting,but I just replied based on assuming you didn't want anyone who doesn't have an FX to make a point. I never said that FX's suck at gaming,they're quite decent if you set it up right and OC it to at least 4.5,but the graphs shown didn't lie,PHII does just as well in most games,better in some,and nearly identical in games that don't care what CPU is in there.
Edited by Heavy MG - 7/15/12 at 7:55pm
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX (Bulldozer) Owners Club!