Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › Can I move my RAID10 array to a new motherboard with a different controller?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I move my RAID10 array to a new motherboard with a different controller?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hello, apologies if this has been covered before but I'm looking into changing motherboards and want to see if I can save my array. Specifically I'm going from an ASUS P6T7 (Intel ICH10R) to an ASUS Crosshair V Formula (AMD SB950).

I don't use the array to boot however, just as additional storage for files.

What would be the best way (if any) to save everything and have the array setup correctly (RAID10) on this new controller?

Thanks.
post #2 of 5
I believe the new controller will not be able to see the raid created by a different controller. Only way is to recreate the raid.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it, but one way would be to put all the data you want saved from the RAID onto a single drive, recreate the raid 10 on the new controller, and then recopy your data back onto your RAID.

Prolly not the news you wanted to hear
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 (non-K) Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 2x EVGA GTX 580 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial 128GB M4 Rasa RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX Series 1000W HAF X Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 (non-K) Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 2x EVGA GTX 580 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial 128GB M4 Rasa RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX Series 1000W HAF X Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Most likely it wont work.

How i would go about it if i was you. I would copy contents to a non raid storage. Then setup raid on new motherboard and copy files to array.
Lawn Mower
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5GHZ ASUS Maximus Gene-Z ATI 6970+6950 cfx Redline 1866 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
128gb crucial c300 + 3tb storage LG DVD-RW Noctua nh-d14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" LG Model m2 Antec TP new 650 Element T 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawn Mower
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5GHZ ASUS Maximus Gene-Z ATI 6970+6950 cfx Redline 1866 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
128gb crucial c300 + 3tb storage LG DVD-RW Noctua nh-d14 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" LG Model m2 Antec TP new 650 Element T 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
You will Get Bsod or windows will shut down after the windows logo apears has happened to me when i switch Raid using Amd to Intel and vise versa
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrazy;15284980 
I believe the new controller will not be able to see the raid created by a different controller. Only way is to recreate the raid.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it, but one way would be to put all the data you want saved from the RAID onto a single drive, recreate the raid 10 on the new controller, and then recopy your data back onto your RAID.

Prolly not the news you wanted to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crUk;15285108 
Most likely it wont work.

How i would go about it if i was you. I would copy contents to a non raid storage. Then setup raid on new motherboard and copy files to array.

Hmm, yea I might buy a cheap 2 TB external drive I guess, the array has about 1.2 TB on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman246;15285129 
You will Get Bsod or windows will shut down after the windows logo apears has happened to me when i switch Raid using Amd to Intel and vise versa

The array is not used to boot, just for storage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › Can I move my RAID10 array to a new motherboard with a different controller?