Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Which GTX 580?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which GTX 580? - Page 4

Poll Results: What should I get?

 
  • 72% (16)
    EVGA Hydro (normal or classified)
  • 27% (6)
    Different 580 with water block
22 Total Votes  
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post
good point but the price of these new ones could very well be around $1000 for one i could guess... maybe a tiny bit less idk anybody?
It's unlikely it would be that expensive - especially in this economy. I'd be more inclined to believe that Nvidia will follow the same pricing scheme as they have now.

From all information that has been available so far, Nvidia is planning to release cards from the bottom-up. Therefore, the first few releases of Kepler will be the low and mid ranges first; followed by the high-end/flagship. It might very well be towards Q2 before you will see anything that can readily beat out the current 580 core as the top dog.

For you to buy now, it would mean you would get approximately a good 6 months or so (if not more) of solid gaming, before you see anything worth replacing your cards. In my book, that's pretty good. I can't imagine waiting 6 full months if I had the money to get better cards all that time.

Unfortunately, if you are shopping in this niche sector, you're going to be disappointed if you think a 580 of any kind will hold value for a long while, but this should always be the accepted and expected truth (no matter if we're talking about GPU's, cars, cameras, etc.). You're always going to pay a premium for slightly more, which is why the best time to buy flagship products is on release day, in order get the most out of your purchases.

Besides, I wouldn't fret over unreleased hardware; it's not like once Kepler is released that the 580's will become irrelevant. They will still hold their own in games for some time to come.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert ash View Post
It's unlikely it would be that expensive - especially in this economy. I'd be more inclined to believe that Nvidia will follow the same pricing scheme as they have now.

From all information that has been available so far, Nvidia is planning to release cards from the bottom-up. Therefore, the first few releases of Kepler will be the low and mid ranges first; followed by the high-end/flagship. It might very well be towards Q2 before you will see anything that can readily beat out the current 580 core as the top dog.

For you to buy now, it would mean you would get approximately a good 6 months or so (if not more) of solid gaming, before you see anything worth replacing your cards. In my book, that's pretty good. I can't imagine waiting 6 full months if I had the money to get better cards all that time.

Unfortunately, if you are shopping in this niche sector, you're going to be disappointed if you think a 580 of any kind will hold value for a long while, but this should always be the accepted and expected truth (no matter if we're talking about GPU's, cars, cameras, etc.). You're always going to pay a premium for slightly more, which is why the best time to buy flagship products is on release day, in order get the most out of your purchases.

Besides, I wouldn't fret over unreleased hardware; it's not like once Kepler is released that the 580's will become irrelevant. They will still hold their own in games for some time to come.
Ok then thanks for telling me all of this i would really like to get the new cards but i think that i will wait and see what happens down the road... if it turns out htat Kepler is amazing then i will get something then but if it bombs like bulldozer is then i will get a 580 which should be cheaper by then... the only problem there is whether or not they still sell them
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post
WOW thank you so much for putting the time in which you did into this reply!!! You have definitely opened my eyes on these questions and I will take them into account. The only thing i have to ask is why might I not be so lucky finding one? Other than that, great post Rep+ you deserve it



mhm good point there
What I meant was, that if you do go with the creme of the crop card it would be hard down the road if you do decide to sli, unless you go sli within a few months.
Usually people would milk there super high end creme of the crop cards due to cost or what ever, say like the ASUS MARS cards.

In your sig is shows you got a 560 ever consider SLI'n those?
Edited by v1ral - 10/12/11 at 11:59pm
z97 RIG
(15 items)
 
Apophis
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k MSI z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 G Skill Ares 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 256gb Seagate Barracuda 2tb Corsair H70 Windows 7 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 24 inch 144hz  Razer Blackwidow chroma EVGA 850 G Silient Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Generic On-board Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 920 D0@ 4.2 1.25625 vcore EVGA Classified 760 EVGA GTX 470 SC+ EVGA GTX 470 SC+ 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Dominator GT 1866 3x2 gbs 1TB Samsung Spinpoint Lite-On DVD drive EK Supreme LTX Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK EVGA Classified Full Motherboard Block EK GTX 470 Acetal/Copper Water Block EK GTX 470 Acetal/Copper Water Block Winows 7 PRO 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung ToC 24" Razer Black Widow Seasonic Platinum 1000 watt CoolerMaster HAF 932 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
z97 RIG
(15 items)
 
Apophis
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k MSI z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 G Skill Ares 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 256gb Seagate Barracuda 2tb Corsair H70 Windows 7 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 24 inch 144hz  Razer Blackwidow chroma EVGA 850 G Silient Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Generic On-board Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 920 D0@ 4.2 1.25625 vcore EVGA Classified 760 EVGA GTX 470 SC+ EVGA GTX 470 SC+ 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Dominator GT 1866 3x2 gbs 1TB Samsung Spinpoint Lite-On DVD drive EK Supreme LTX Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK EVGA Classified Full Motherboard Block EK GTX 470 Acetal/Copper Water Block EK GTX 470 Acetal/Copper Water Block Winows 7 PRO 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung ToC 24" Razer Black Widow Seasonic Platinum 1000 watt CoolerMaster HAF 932 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ral View Post
What I meant was, that if you do go with the creme of the crop card it would be hard down the road if you do decide to sli, unless you go sli within a few months.
Usually people would milk there super high end creme of the crop cards due to cost or what ever, say like the ASUS MARS cards.

In your sig is shows you got a 560 ever consider SLI'n those?
I did and have considered SLI'n them and that is what i may end up doing in the time being because i may just wait it out till Keplar comes out and see how it is compared to now. and as said somewhere in a last post i will wait till then and if they are good cards i might think about getting one and if not then i will go back to a 580. but in the time being i might just get another 560ti
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post
I did and have considered SLI'n them and that is what i may end up doing in the time being because i may just wait it out till Keplar comes out and see how it is compared to now. and as said somewhere in a last post i will wait till then and if they are good cards i might think about getting one and if not then i will go back to a 580. but in the time being i might just get another 560ti
560Ti in SLI are strong bang-for-the-buck contender, and will be significantly faster than a single GTX 580. Very few games will actually get in its way, and you won't be hit as hard on the resale value front if you decide to sell them some time next year.

Honestly, if you're going to wait for Kepler to buy something, you might as well save and buy within that new generation anyway instead of going backwards with a GTX 580. Even if Kepler ends up being a slightly faster variation to Fermi, it is projected to have significant savings in power draw, which is always a good thing from a green environment perspective, and your own power bill as well.

When it comes to tech, I'd rather buy used new generation products, rather than brand new, old generation - unless we're talking about Bulldozer ("OH!" Just kidding! ).

Just my $0.02.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert ash View Post
560Ti in SLI are strong bang-for-the-buck contender, and will be significantly faster than a single GTX 580. Very few games will actually get in its way, and you won't be hit as hard on the resale value front if you decide to sell them some time next year.

Honestly, if you're going to wait for Kepler to buy something, you might as well save and buy within that new generation anyway instead of going backwards with a GTX 580. Even if Kepler ends up being a slightly faster variation to Fermi, it is projected to have significant savings in power draw, which is always a good thing from a green environment perspective, and your own power bill as well.

When it comes to tech, I'd rather buy used new generation products, rather than brand new, old generation - unless we're talking about Bulldozer ("OH!" Just kidding! ).

Just my $0.02.
Ok good to know, thanks for your help! In the end i would have liked to get a card i can put under water so that i can quite down my rig but if its not the case than i guess i dont have a choice and will wait till Kepler comes out and see if i can treat my self to something then... Is there any say on how much i would get for two 560ti twin frozr II if i was going to sell them when Kepler comes out? Also though i was thinking of getting a SSD, do u think it would be better to get an SSD or another 560?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 45
If you're now thinking of buying midrange now and reselling to go high end later, then the Asus 460 can't be beat. It's ~10% slower than the 560ti clock for clock, so add another 2-3% on that because the 560ti can clock a bit higher on average and call it 15%, worst case scenario, slower. It costs about 60% of what a 560ti does now, has about 85% of the performance, and it's price has already taken the brunt of the depreciation it will see over the next year or so. The 560ti still has a big price crash in front of it when the next generation comes out but the 460 is already at roughly the price it will be for quite a while. You buy two 460s now for $260 after rebate, and you will likely be able to sell them for ~$180 in a year. For 560tis you're looking at buying for around $440 and selling for ~$250 in a year. Not to mention that the Asus 460 is just about the best 460 you can get, I think the best 560ti you can get (the MSI hawk) is even more than I quoted above so it would be like $500 for two of the best 560tis available.
Edited by juano - 10/13/11 at 8:23am
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post
Ok good to know, thanks for your help! In the end i would have liked to get a card i can put under water so that i can quite down my rig but if its not the case than i guess i dont have a choice and will wait till Kepler comes out and see if i can treat my self to something then... Is there any say on how much i would get for two 560ti twin frozr II if i was going to sell them when Kepler comes out? Also though i was thinking of getting a SSD, do u think it would be better to get an SSD or another 560?
Since you have the Ti. you are good for a while longer. And SLI 560 Ti's perform great. As for the SSD, SLI debate, it all depends. If you game a lot and like the eye candy, the SLI option will be better for you. SSD is nice for games loading extremely fast, but just for that it's not worth the price. The benefit I like is the fast boot times, and the PC is snappier since everything I click on opens instantly. Sometimes doing many things at once with each application accessing the harddrive, the computer feels slow. With an SSD, it stays fast which is nice. If you plan to go with an SSD, look at the Crucial M4. Best one right now.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post
If you're now thinking of buying midrange now and reselling to go high end later, then the Asus 460 can't be beat. It's ~10% slower than the 560ti clock for clock, so add another 2-3% on that because the 560ti can clock a bit higher on average and call it 15%, worst case scenario, slower. It costs about 60% of what a 560ti does now, has about 85% of the performance, and it's price has already taken the brunt of the depreciation it will see over the next year or so. The 560ti still has a big price crash in front of it when the next generation comes out but the 460 is already at roughly the price it will be for quite a while. You buy two 460s now for $260 after rebate, and you will likely be able to sell them for ~$180 in a year. For 560tis you're looking at buying for around $440 and selling for ~$250 in a year. Not to mention that the Asus 460 is just about the best 460 you can get, I think the best 560ti you can get (the MSI hawk) is even more than I quoted above so it would be like $500 for two of the best 560tis available.
atm i am really happy with my 560 and i dont think that i would like to switch it up to a different card but thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
Since you have the Ti. you are good for a while longer. And SLI 560 Ti's perform great. As for the SSD, SLI debate, it all depends. If you game a lot and like the eye candy, the SLI option will be better for you. SSD is nice for games loading extremely fast, but just for that it's not worth the price. The benefit I like is the fast boot times, and the PC is snappier since everything I click on opens instantly. Sometimes doing many things at once with each application accessing the harddrive, the computer feels slow. With an SSD, it stays fast which is nice. If you plan to go with an SSD, look at the Crucial M4. Best one right now.
This will be a really hard decision for me because i would love to get another 560ti for better gaming performance but i would love to get a SSD for better everyday performance. The only thing is i am not sure how to set up and make the most use of a SSD. so i will for sure have to think about it. if anyone wants to help me with this decision that would be great!!!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post
atm i am really happy with my 560 and i dont think that i would like to switch it up to a different card but thanks for the input



This will be a really hard decision for me because i would love to get another 560ti for better gaming performance but i would love to get a SSD for better everyday performance. The only thing is i am not sure how to set up and make the most use of a SSD. so i will for sure have to think about it. if anyone wants to help me with this decision that would be great!!!
No one can make the decision for you. It's really what you want. Setting up an SSD is not that hard. There are few windows optimizations to do, but there are many guides for this.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Which GTX 580?