Overclock.net banner

Need a new CPU. Help wanted

786 views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  galaxy366 
#1 ·
Hello guys!
biggrin.gif

Well atm Im abit in a situation :/, So Im going to change almost everything inside my case but I was planning to keep my old Athlon II X4 640, but recently I thought: Why not also the CPU? so I looked around and came out on the Phenom II X6 1090T Its € 154,90 wish is acceptable for me
smile.gif

I would like to know if this is a good choice? ( Dont talk about Bulldozer, its to expensive for me! )

And can a XFX 650w XXX Edition run the following with the new CPU?

XFX HD6870 Dual Fan
Sapphire HD6870
Sharkoon Dual CCFL Caselight
2x Aerocool Shark Fan 14cm Blue Edition
1x Aerocool Shark Fan 12cm Blue Edition
Phenom II X6 1090T
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
DVD ROm
DVD burner

Im also going to overclock the GPU and CPU so that should also be looked at.

Ill be waiting
biggrin.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
i dont know how the athlon 2's compare to the old phenom 1 but i would think they are roughly the same, pardon my ignorance if they are not
smile.gif

however i did notice a huge improvement when i went from my old ph1 9950@3.4 to my ph2 955@3.8 and you will have the bonus of 2 extra cores

as for overclocking that setup, i had a hiper 650w psu with a single 5870 (see rig specs below) when i bought my second 5870 my psu blew within a week
frown.gif
may have been coincedence or not i cant tell you sorry.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty___boy;15291704
i dont know how the athlon 2's compare to the old phenom 1 but i would think they are roughly the same, pardon my ignorance if they are not
smile.gif

however i did notice a huge improvement when i went from my old ph1 9950@3.4 to my ph2 955@3.8 and you will have the bonus of 2 extra cores

as for overclocking that setup, i had a hiper 650w psu with a single 5870 (see rig specs below) when i bought my second 5870 my psu blew within a week
frown.gif
may have been coincedence or not i cant tell you sorry.
So you advice I should go for the 6 core? Or stick with my old one. Plus I need to be sure about the supply
eek.gif

#8 ·
Power supply is fine, if this is for gaming, go with a 955BE, 4 cores is enough for gaming. 6 cores is useless.

Since you are going to Xfire, you might want to look into an intel build, even though they are more expensive. They supposedly Xfire better.

If you Xfire, any AMD CPU will more than likely be your bottleneck.
frown.gif

#9 ·
wow sorry guys didnt realize the 6870's were that much better than 5870's in power conumption

if the athlon 2's are the same performance wise at the old phenom 1's and you had the money to buy it ? i personally would because the performance diffrence was quite big
smile.gif

i also disbeleve that an OC'd x6 would be a bottleneck to 2x 6850's eather.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517;15291874
Power supply is fine, if this is for gaming, go with a 955BE, 4 cores is enough for gaming. 6 cores is useless.

Since you are going to Xfire, you might want to look into an intel build, even though they are more expensive. They supposedly Xfire better.

If you Xfire, any AMD CPU will more than likely be your bottleneck.
frown.gif
Not to be a fanboy but Intel is to much for me
eek.gif
, with all these parts I get around the 550 euros ( Still much, parents wanted to kick me
tongue.gif
).

Im not going to OC extremely
smile.gif
, The GPU(s) will be 1000/1200mhz and the CPU maybe for the current one 3500mhz. But I looked into some reviews and my cpu was pretty down the list compared to the 1090t
frown.gif

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuksel911
View Post

1090T will never bottleneck your gpu's!

I wouldn't say never, see this review

I'll just quote from the conclusion:

"For a single GPU, the performance difference between AMD and Intel platforms is not as big, especially at high visual settings since GPU is often our limiting factor. However, for multi-GPU, the CPU can be the bottleneck. We do expect games going to be even more complex in the future, and most of them will support PhysX and Tessellation. As GPU technology advances, CPUs must keep pace, or else systems will suffer lags in performance"

This has been the case for the last 2-3 years, and unfortunately BD did nothing to gain ground.

[edit]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badwrench
View Post

That XFX 650 should be fine with xfired 6870s. They are relatively low consumption cards and that 650 is a great psu.

XFX, and great PSU should never be used in the same sentence. It's not even a continuous 650w PSU. That being said, it is probably fine for crossfired 6870's.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty___boy
View Post

i also disbeleve that an OC'd x6 would be a bottleneck to 2x 6850's eather.

Just because it has more cores does not make it better... it will perform the same as a Phenom II x4 in games.

Look at some benches between the Bulldozer 8 core CPU and the i5 4 core CPU. The Bulldozer 8 core CPU barely performs better than the PII x4 CPU...

I am not being a fan boy, I own AMD. But he should not be wasting the money on an 1090T when the 955 will perform the same. Which is why the i5-2500K will be better significantly better.

If you want to look at it this way, an i3-2100 will be on par with an 1090T...

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxy366
View Post

Not to be a fanboy but Intel is to much for me
, with all these parts I get around the 550 euros ( Still much, parents wanted to kick me
).

Im not going to OC extremely
, The GPU(s) will be 1000/1200mhz and the CPU maybe for the current one 3500mhz. But I looked into some reviews and my cpu was pretty down the list compared to the 1090t

If your parents dont like how expensive it is, just go with a 955BE. There will be little to no difference. Benches

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman517
View Post

Just because it has more cores does not make it better... it will perform the same as a Phenom II x4 in games.

Look at some benches between the Bulldozer 8 core CPU and the i5 4 core CPU. The Bulldozer 8 core CPU barely performs better than the PII x4 CPU...

I am not being a fan boy, I own AMD. But he should not be wasting the money on an 1090T when the 955 will perform the same. Which is why the i5-2500K will be better significantly better.

If you want to look at it this way, an i3-2100 will be on par with an 1090T...

If your parents dont like how expensive it is, just go with a 955BE. There will be little to no difference. Benches

Looks like a nice AMD cpu
, I will go for that one!, PSU will still be able to power everything right? Im going to use it longer then the current B brand 640w

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman517
View Post

im not sure if your flamebaiting me or not ? i think we got our wires crossed somewhere i never said it did
i know its the same cpu with just 2 extra cores

and where does anyone say anything about bulldozer ? apart from the OP himself saying he cant afford it ?

he asked us wether he would see an improvement going from his athlon 2 to an ph2 x6... he never asked about ANY x4.... i said if the athlon 2 perfoms the same as the old ph1 then yes he would.

and with respect i dont care what bjorn 3d or anand says. my cousin has a i7 920 OC'd to 3.8 with the exact same cards as me, he gets about 5~fps more than me in games @1680x1050. i can live with that

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

im not sure if your flamebaiting me or not ? i think we got our wires crossed somewhere i never said it did
i know its the same cpu with just 2 extra cores

and where does anyone say anything about bulldozer ? apart from the OP himself saying he cant afford it ?

he asked us wether he would see an improvement going from his athlon 2 to an ph2 x6... he never asked about ANY x4.... i said if the athlon 2 perfoms the same as the old ph1 then yes he would.

and with respect i dont care what bjorn 3d or anand says. my cousin has a i7 920 OC'd to 3.8 with the exact same cards as me, he gets about 5~fps more than me in games @1680x1050. i can live with that

Have fun with those chokeups in BF3 64 player.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

Cool man, that's not too shabby. Especially considering if you're gaming @ 1680x1050, you're getting well over 60 fps anyhow.

I think Ironman was just trying to point out the x6 wouldn't be necessary.

I'd say go for it if you can afford it, x6 will be better at multi-threaded applications than an x4. Hopefully that will start to translate into gaming performance at some point in the near future. BF3 is all ready starting to look that way.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis1127
View Post

Cool man, that's not too shabby. Especially considering if you're gaming @ 1680x1050, you're getting well over 60 fps anyhow.

I'd say go for it if you can afford it, x6 will be better at multi-threaded applications than an x4. Hopefully that will start to translate into gaming performance at some point in the near future. BF3 is all ready starting to look that way.

It's not just about 60 fps, it's about consistency.

I would rather have 50 fps with ranges of 40-60 fps than 60 fps with ranges of 15-100 fps. The choke ups happen when a single core is maxed out, quite common with Phenoms.

AMD chips will choke up in 64 player BF3.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinitroN
View Post

I would rather have 50 fps with ranges of 40-60 fps than 60 fps with ranges of 15-100 fps. The choke ups happen when a single core is maxed out, quite common with Phenoms.

Ah, gotcha. I hadn't heard that yet, is there a thread started on this issue? I only played the beta on my i5 2500k, so I didn't notice crazy min drops like that. If that's the case a lot of phenom II users will be disappointed in BF3.

I guess we'll see in 12 days

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis1127
View Post

thanks
i thaught so too considering his setup cost nearly double at the time lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinitroN
View Post

funny you should actually say that, when the PW for caspian border got "leaked" i was getting a lot of lagouts in it. but i noticed a lot of HD thrashing going on at the same time, i automatically thaught i didnt have enough ram. dropped another 4gb in and it went when we got to play it again last weekend

prehaps the phenom 2's need more ram in bf3 than the intels ? or prehaps its only a "plaster" over the real problem ? i dont know sorry but all i know it is saved me from dropping down a load of money before crimbo
and i think the OP is in the same position.

#23 ·
Quote:

View Post

thanks
i thaught so too considering his setup cost nearly double at the time lol

funny you should actually say that, when the PW for caspian border got "leaked" i was getting a lot of lagouts in it. but i noticed a lot of HD thrashing going on at the same time, i automatically thaught i didnt have enough ram. dropped another 4gb in and it went when we got to play it again last weekend

prehaps the phenom 2's need more ram in bf3 than the intels ? or prehaps its only a "plaster" over the real problem ? i dont know sorry but all i know it is saved me from dropping down a load of money before crimbo
and i think the OP is in the same position.

The game in general probably benefits more ram, regardless of the platform. I hate page files in general, so I just went with 8gb of RAM so I could turn it off.

I think OP is looking at hd6870's in crossfire, but yeah, anyway you cut it he needs to upgrade from that athlon II x4 to take advantage of his GPU's.

Ideally he would have started with a i5 build for maximum multiple GPU price/performance, but it was probably cheaper for him to go AMD. I have never understood the logic of getting $500-1000 worth of CPU's, only to cripple them with a slower CPU that probably only saved you $50-100. I got my i5-760 + p55 board for $284 new in '10, and my 2500k + p67 for $312 new in '11, at the time either one of those purchases weren't much more than a AMD x4 or x6 +890 '10, or a AMD x6 + 990 in '11, and I planned on using multiple GPU's, so I went for it.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxy366
View Post

Phenom II X6 1090T Its € 154,90 wish is acceptable for me

Where are you ordering from anyways?

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.