Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Kingston SSD for my Dell Inspiron E1505
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kingston SSD for my Dell Inspiron E1505 - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gms19;15368903 
Didn't realise +rep was on the bottom of the profile, was trying to look for it next to the actual rep rating icon. +rep u for this one. biggrin.gif

1 more final question: I have only 1 slot so this SSD will become my primary HDD for OS as well as data. I usually partition my HDD as 30-40 GB OS+Programs (Win XP MCE)and remaining as data. I usually reformat my OS partition every 3-4 months to keep it clean and running fast, with an SSD I assume that won't be an issue but is it alright if I use the SSD for all the data too? Does that limit the life of the SSD with all those writes and reads etc?

Sicne you'll be running XP and thus no TRIM will be available, how fast the SSD stays will be dependant on how well the garbage collection (GC) works on the drive you end up going with. To be honest, I have seen people running RAID 0 Intel G1 ssd's for a year with average usage, and still the numbers looked good. I could be wrong, but I believe the only thing that gets slower on the SSD's is the write speed, which MOST people could care less about. It's the random read speeds that MOST people care about, and that's the speed that you will actually notice with your eyes.

Like someone else has already said, the Crucial M4 has really taken the spotlight these days as the one SSD to bank on. Faster than the Intel drives (except the 510), just as reliable, and generally cheaper. Even though you can get a heck of a deal on a Sandforce based drive, the reviews and impressions I get from users is that the risk is just not worth it. For you, just about ANY SSD is going to be crazy fast, I'd go with the one with the best reliablity, and then the most space that you can easily afford. So far 128gb has worked out well for me, and I'm a gamer. Sure, more space would be better, but I really only have 5-6 games installed at a time, and I still have around 30-40 gb free. With your situation, if you fill up the drive to say 95% or more, that is when you are going to see the GC struggle to keep the drive fast... unless it's a drive with a lot of NAND set aside for over provisioning...

Get an M4, and enjoy the h3ll out of that celeron, lol.
ASUS ROG G73SW
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 2630QM GTX 460M 2 x 4GB DDR3 WD SiliconEdge Blue 128GB SSD 
MonitorMouse
17.3" LCD-1920x1080 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS ROG G73SW
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 2630QM GTX 460M 2 x 4GB DDR3 WD SiliconEdge Blue 128GB SSD 
MonitorMouse
17.3" LCD-1920x1080 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
YAY!!! biggrin.gif:cool: I just got my Crucial M4 128GB SSD (CT128M4SSD2CCA) rev 009. Looks cool and feels light. I currently have a 5400 RPM drive which I will remove and I want to use this SSD for my OS as well as data.

I read that Window 7 with 2GB RAM (max on this mobo) runs fine and this will also give me the TRIM & other advantages.

I am planning for a clean installation from scratch. no cloning or anything else.

I plan to start with this thread......http://www.overclock.net/ssd/929553-win-7-ssds-setup-secrets.html

Do I need to follow some other thread or any additional info?

Steps I plan to follow: (not read the guide yet just using basic knowledge)
Shut down laptop
Remove existing HDD (SSD not connected yet)
Bootup go to BIOS make AHCI enabled change. (ssd not connected yet)

When & where do I need to install RST drivers? (after or before windows installation & is it on SSD or HDD)

Do I need to leave some caching space or partition or something before I start a fresh Win 7 installation?

I wish to make 2 partitions on the SSD one about 30 GB for the OS and programs and the other remaining SSD capacity for data, downloads, etc...

Are there any issues with this config?

thanks

will keep updating as and how I go forward.

BTW my disk management sections shows size as 119.23GB and indicates it as "Not Initialized". Do I need to do anything NOW before I start the Clean Win 7 installation?


Thanks in advance for all advice and information
Edited by gms19 - 10/27/11 at 11:53pm
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
How do I figure out if my computer has AHCI? and how do I enable it?
How bad will the performance be if I do not have this option?
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gms19;15483771 
How do I figure out if my computer has AHCI? and how do I enable it?
How bad will the performance be if I do not have this option?

You'll have to excuse my briefness due to my broken wrist (one hand typing FTL)... We're still talking about the same E1505 right? If so, there is no ACHI option in the bios, so you're stuck without it. TRIM works the best and the fastest, but the built in GC in the M4 should work well enough that I doubt you'll ever know the difference.

As far as the partitions are concerned, that is something I have little exp with. I believe as long as the OS partition is done during the win install, you can create others later on in win. With regard to other setup q's... you'll want to disable system restore, make sure defrag is off for the ssd drive, and delete the hiberfile after you do all that (there is a shell cmd for it, you can google it).

Thats pretty much all I ever do... I paired my SSD in my e1505 with a 500 usb hdd, took care of everything. Another tip, download a little program called Spacesniffer. It graphically lays out what files are taking up how much space... its really very handy for ssd owners.

Hope this helps some.
ASUS ROG G73SW
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 2630QM GTX 460M 2 x 4GB DDR3 WD SiliconEdge Blue 128GB SSD 
MonitorMouse
17.3" LCD-1920x1080 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS ROG G73SW
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 2630QM GTX 460M 2 x 4GB DDR3 WD SiliconEdge Blue 128GB SSD 
MonitorMouse
17.3" LCD-1920x1080 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisman;15498192 
You'll have to excuse my briefness due to my broken wrist (one hand typing FTL)...
Hope its not too serious
Get well soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisman;15498192 
We're still talking about the same E1505 right? If so, there is no ACHI option in the bios, so you're stuck without it.
Yes, still the same system

Thanks for confirming my conclusion about AHCI not there due to dell not upgrading the BIOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisman;15498192 
TRIM works the best and the fastest, but the built in GC in the M4 should work well enough that I doubt you'll ever know the difference.

So is TRIM oly based on the mobo features? or is it based on the OS & SSD combo. ie only if BIOS has AHCI then TRIM is activated or if I have Win 7 ultimate & Crucial M4 it should still activate TRIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisman;15498192 
As far as the partitions are concerned, that is something I have little exp with. I believe as long as the OS partition is done during the win install, you can create others later on in win. With regard to other setup q's... you'll want to disable system restore, make sure defrag is off for the ssd drive, and delete the hiberfile after you do all that (there is a shell cmd for it, you can google it).

Thats pretty much all I ever do... I paired my SSD in my e1505 with a 500 usb hdd, took care of everything. Another tip, download a little program called Spacesniffer. It graphically lays out what files are taking up how much space... its really very handy for ssd owners.

Hope this helps some.
NO probs abt the partitions..

Disabled Restore
Disabled Defrag schedule & from command line too
disabled and deleted the hiberfile


thank mate
post #16 of 22
I have 2 Inspiron E1505's that are Core 2 Duo's (don't know if it matters), and I installed a Crucial 4 GB memory (RAM) kit in each (2 2GB sticks each), and they work fine. Of course, the system screen says 3.25 GB of RAM, since I am running 32 bit XP, but after research I expected that.
When/if I go to 64 bit, I'm ready. I ran full memory tests after installs. All good!
I am also at BIOS level 17, and I don't know if that matters either, but if you google e1505 memory upgrade, you can find many others running 4 GB no problem.
I am waiting to hear back on some SSD upgrage experiences from you guys, if you will. I'm using 500 GB 7300 drives so far, and I'm pretty satisfied, but speed satisfies even more, right? Thanks.

By the way, Crucial says their SSD's will do garbage collection during idle time, even on XP.

Also, beware the Media Direct button(s) after cloning a Dell E1505, I hear that pressing one (kids do it), overwrites the boot record, or some such, and you can't boot. Might even be a problem on a cleaned off rebuilt drive.
Google media direct hidden partition or some such if you want to find out, but I heard, do not touch those buttons after any clone or copy over has been done!

And, Crucial will sell you a Apricorn USB transfer kit with an SSD for like $11, but I haven't tested those yet, and especially due to the hidden partition. I used CMS Transfer case and software to upgrade the drive recently, and to moved Winoows XP MCE from an HP 1657C AMD to the E1505 2.0 using the key the Dell had to activate it. Of course, I had to upgrade all the drivers. The SIIG little USB keyboard is great, and the 21" monitor from the HP let me forget I'm not on the old deskie.
In fact I think the 7300 with cache is feeling faster.

And, why do we disable system restore for an SSD? Or was that on a Win 7 upgrade? And the hibernation file?
Edited by over101 - 1/25/12 at 3:39am
post #17 of 22
Hi everyone,

I apologize for the bump (if this thread is too old, or whatever), but you guys are super knowledge, and I need advice.

So, I'm in a similar situation. I have a Dell E1505; specs: Core Duo T2350, 4GB RAM (3.25 usable due to mobo), running Win7 Ultimate (no real issues there).
However, it has an 80GB HDD (of which 62.5 is actually usable due to factory partition that i didn't feel like unpartitioning), so I want to upgrade, but also go SSD, since in terms of Space, I've been covering with 2 external 500GB passports, 2TB HDD, etc.

What's the best/cheapest option I should go for?

Also, any procedural issues I should worry about/follow?

I.e. I've never installed/worked with SSDs before, especially on a laptop, but I wanted to get into it, and I'm not sure what I should look for.

Your collective wisdom would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlof42 View Post

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the bump (if this thread is too old, or whatever), but you guys are super knowledge, and I need advice.

So, I'm in a similar situation. I have a Dell E1505; specs: Core Duo T2350, 4GB RAM (3.25 usable due to mobo), running Win7 Ultimate (no real issues there).
However, it has an 80GB HDD (of which 62.5 is actually usable due to factory partition that i didn't feel like unpartitioning), so I want to upgrade, but also go SSD, since in terms of Space, I've been covering with 2 external 500GB passports, 2TB HDD, etc.

What's the best/cheapest option I should go for?

Also, any procedural issues I should worry about/follow?

I.e. I've never installed/worked with SSDs before, especially on a laptop, but I wanted to get into it, and I'm not sure what I should look for.

Your collective wisdom would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Check the stickies.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread
post #19 of 22
thank you!

One thing I'm fuzzy on... do I need to worry about TRIM/garbage collecting?

I didnt quite understand if it is a SSD/software issue (win7) versus mobo issue? ie. with my ancient mobo and other hardware, will I have issues to worry about/face?

I appreciate your help.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlof42 View Post

thank you!

One thing I'm fuzzy on... do I need to worry about TRIM/garbage collecting?

I didnt quite understand if it is a SSD/software issue (win7) versus mobo issue? ie. with my ancient mobo and other hardware, will I have issues to worry about/face?

I appreciate your help.

If you have a AMD or Intel mobo and have the SATA mode set to AHCI or RAID and the controllers and driver support TRIM then TRIM will be enabled.

Garbage collection is independent of mobo controllers or drivers. It works by itself in the SSD.

TRIM simply optimizes garbage collection when it is enabled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Kingston SSD for my Dell Inspiron E1505